A Little Bit of Live Magic

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4isCpmQCEcw

Watch in 480p.
I decided to film my magic happenings. I know some of you may criticize my performance or, "Oh, you need better performance skills" or "I totally figured that out." I am looking for constructive help in any area, no negativity. Any negative responses will be responded to negatively. Now, something like, "What you could have done here..." I consider constructive. So help me out.

Also, on the second effect, I was working with crap cards and had to manipulate them a little, but the performance was still good, and the reactions were as well.

Remember, we're a community.

Ian

P.S. Also rate, comment, subscribe, friend, and all that spam. :D

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
It was good, but there's always room for improvement:D.

Your bluff passes were good, as they flew right by your audience.

The way you caught a break for your DL needed a little work. Try to make it not so obvious.

The sandwich effect (which I'm assuming it was the one you created) was okay. You started out great, but after she thew the card in, you were fiddling around with the deck, and it looked totally fishy. Not sure what you were doing, but it took away from the effect.

Overall, it was pretty good. The effects/sleights themselves need work, but you did well with your audience, not rushing too much, and engaging them.

Nov 8, 2007
Forget about the moves--try to loosen up a bit, man.

The girl at 1:12 was giving you all sorts of interaction and lines to build off and you ignored and no-sold everything she said. She was funny, cooperative, and totally into it too. "This one's wearing eyeliner. Why is that?" Awesome spectator.

May 3, 2008
The first effect looked really fishy. When you took out your wallet, your hands were covering it most of the time. I think it was just the camera, but we could barely see a thing.
When you did the second trick, you put way too much attention on the card that you placed on the table. You placed it all the way behind you and told them to forget about that card which I think made it suspicious, like something was up with that card. Also after they tossed the card into the deck, you sort of fiddled with the cards quite a bit before revealing it. It makes it seem like maybe you manipulated the cards and put it in between them yourself. And i hate that challenge with the dollar, unless you really did give it to her.
With the card transpo, you could've built it up a bit more. That's all I can really say aboutthat.
The only thing I didn't like about Search and Destroy was the part where you placed the kings into the deck. It was sloppy and you didn't give a reason for placing them in. It made me think "Wtf are you doing with the kings?"
Throughout, you were mumbling and stuttering with your words a bit which shows a lack in confidence. Spectators like confident performers and the more energy and confidence you place into your performance, the better they will react because the reactions were a little blegh.
Hope this counts as constructive. :p

Mar 27, 2009
The performance was ok. The first guy was right. you're doing a lot of fidgeting when your doin your sleights undercover. Attention is diverted as soon as your hands come together, so you have to look as natural as possible. If you're not 100% with a sleight yet. Use a little misdirection, eye contact is one of the most simple and trustworthy misdirections. Whether you look at the spectator, your hands, or the ceiling, usually the spectator's eyes will follow your eyes. Also, take it a little SLOWER. That is especially what SEARCH & DESTROY is about. Giving the spectator the chance to let what is happening sink in. But you know your style better than anyone else, so you just gotta watch the footage again and again so you can learn from your mistakes and repeat your successes.

BEST OF LUCK BROTHER...

Nov 8, 2007
I didn't "no-sell" anything.

Hey, Ian.

Not trying to be confrontational, but if you really want to improve you should take a look at your performance again with a more critical eye, because you definitely were no-selling the girl's humor. She was trying to interact with you, but instead of responding to what she said you just continued with the routine as if she hadn't said anything at all. She was pretty funny too, and you didn't even laugh with her. She created lots of opportunity for interaction, but you didn't take advantage of any of it.

Again, not trying to be confrontational, but helpful. We all have things we need to work on. I know I sure as hell do.

Hope this helps. Keep it up, man.

Mar 29, 2008
"What you could have done here..." IS:

Coin to wallet – NOT moved your hand so quickly to your pocket – anything that happens from the time they see the coin, to the time it vanishes is considered the “critical interval” or in laymen’s terms – the part where they think you did something – don’t be afraid to hold out, or find motivation to go to your pocket. Better yet, if you have to go to your pocket to get your wallet, find a faster way to do the dirty work.

Sandwich effect – I don’t know where to start. “Check out the Kings to make sure they are normal” – can you please tell me what abnormal cards are? However, your method relies so heavily on distraction so you can get the card in second position, that you don’t know what else to do...do you? I recommend a second deal. You presented it as a challenge effect...not good. Here is why – if she gets the card in a miracle spot...you apparently give her a buck, and if you don’t you take her shoes? This isn’t even funny, or a good challenge. It doesn’t set you or the participant up for a win, even though they do. As for the method, I don’t know WHAT you were doing, but man that looked bad...really bad, like an awkward struggle to remove one card from in between the cards (I think she actually threw her card between the two kings?!). TOO much covering, it didn’t look like magic, and even the recovery was sloppy...thank god she distracted herself with the camera. Then as an ender, you change it to one of the Kings? Umm, why? Because you can, ahh, yes, that is why. One of the first rules of magic, don’t do something just because you can. I love her non-emotion based reaction of “that was freaky”. OSCAR GOES TO YOUR HELPER!

Card Transpo - I recommend that you don’t use the line...pick any card, no not that one...as it is a really dated and offensive line to most people, and may not match your personality. Your bluff pass needs work, you hold it in a very robotic position and the deck shrunk in your left can when you did Fisher’s Bluff pass.

EVEYRONE PAY ATTENTION – AS A FORUM YOU CONTINOUSLY SAY YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR SLEIGHTS, BUT I SEE SO MUCH OF WHAT HAPPENED. THE BLUFF PASSED WAS USED, FOLLOWED BY A SHUFFLE, THEN A SLIP CUT AND A FALSE CUT – SO WHY WOULDN’T YOU JUST SHUFFLE THE CARDS AND CONTROL IT DURING THE SHUFFLE. THIS IS THE FIRST PART OF CARD COLLEGE OR ROYAL ROAD. A BLUFF PASS IS MEANT TO BE DONE TO LET THE AUDIENCE KNOW THE CARD IS WHERE IT WAS PLACED, TO FOLLOW IT UP WITH TECHNIQUE THAT PUTS IT “ANYWHERE” IN THE AUDIENCE MINDS DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF USING A BLUFF PASS...USE A JOG SHUFFLE!

Okay, one nice thing – you do a decent DL – but then expose it by just showing the card under was the King of Diamonds.

Search and Destroy – “I will put the card back here...I think”, that statement made it look way too constructed, and puts heat on the deck. By the way, a few times, in previous effects, you lift the deck up and flash the underside so I can see what the cards are on my end. I love in this one how you were so unsure of yourself that you started fishing for clues on the cards. This is not the impact you wanted.

Ironic song to end your video with, “Sorry you are not a winner” – anyhow, I think this brings me to my final bit of constructive feedback. One – start watching your own videos for flaws before you post. Two – have more confidence with your magic and yourself. It comes through your magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results