A little thing I've been working on.

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
Howdie doody lads and lasses.

I've been a little too busy in the "real world" lately to be active on here much, but I've managed to find the time to keep up with the card work, so wanted to share a little something that I have been working on. I'm pretty sure I've shared a basic version of this in the past but the effect/routine has evolved a lot since

Mods, I will try to keep my description as muggle safe as possible but if I mess up then please do whatever is needed.

This routine is something that I have been working on ever since I was handed a box with "Sub Rosa" printed on it.

I lay out a number of boxes of cards, generally 3-5 but can be any number. I mix up the patter but it is either "I had a dream about this so when I woke up I made sure to remember everything" or "I have a plan and you have to read my mind to make the right decisions." (I know, I'm likely going to get a new one torn for presenting things this way, but my audience is a 6 year old girl and she loves it, especially the 2nd option and things where she is the one doing the magic.)

Pretty much at the start I get the spectator to blindfold me. The spectator selects a deck and the rest are discarded but kept in full view. I ask the spectator to place the chosen box in my hand, and I then remove the cards and the box is then left on the table in full view but out of the way. The patter then goes towards the idea of finding cards in a deck, for example the four aces. I fan or spread the cards and ask the spectator to make sure that it is a full deck, that there are no duplicates or anything. The spectator then takes the cards, takes out the four aces, shuffles the deck and then one by one places each ace anywhere that they want in the deck and finally can shuffle again if they want before placing the deck face down in my hand.

I begin fairly dealing cards face down into a rough pile to my left, but then 1 card goes to the right, more to the left, then another to the right. You get the idea. When I finish dealing I ask the spectator to confirm how many cards there are to the right and that all cards are face down, there are 4 cards to the right and all cards are face down. I now remove the blindfold. Again the patter varies depending on the original story, but I go on to name the suit of each of the four cards one by one as I ask the spectator to turn over the cards, revealing that not only is each card the correct suit but that they are the four aces.

Finally, I ask the spectator to put the cards back in the box whilst I'm busy fussing with the blindfold, they notice something inside the box, a note saying "*name* will pick this box" or "I want *name* to pick this box", or something similar depending on the story of the effect. The other boxes from the start can be checked and there is no other note in any of them.

I know there are similar routines out there, but personally I love this effect (both developing and performing it) and feel that after ~100 hours of practice it is pretty strong, strong enough that it will likely make an appearance at family gatherings over the holidays at least.

To pull off the above I have Sub Rosa'd some Madison Dealers decks. If anyone wants a step by step of what happens, how and when, then I will be happy to discuss it in private conversation.

Thanks for reading. Would love to hear what others are working on!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results