A Quick Thought About Fast Improvements

Sep 1, 2007
Hmm I am not going to take "surround ones self" as literally as some.

Helps that you aren't out to prove anything.

Choose the attributes of your friends carefully...you may not like what you get in the end.

Pretty much. Unless your name is Andrew WK, you need to network with more people than just the ones you like to party with.

Nov 15, 2010
Guys notice how this thread was a fine and dandy, a peaceful debate on magic until Steerpike posted. Dude, just chill out. Even on another thread that went crazy started with you just coming in and insulting people, you said that you were helping but you were just insulting people. Everyone notice how the first page on this thread was nice. People didn't agree but that is why it is a debate, there is more than one side. Steerpike, there are multiple sides and there is no one person who is "right". The debate was friendly. Now look at the first post on page 2, the first post was of Steerpike and now it is going downhill.

Heck look at the post above me, that doesn't sound very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Steerpike, there are multiple sides and there is no one person who is "right".

Sentences like this are why people like me act the way we do. Several people in this thread missed Will's point entirely. Even after having this explained to them, they persisted in their original arguments. That makes them demonstrably wrong.

I'm losing patience with this politically correct nonsense, the idea that there is no right or wrong and everyone is an extra-special flower child who can do no ill... until they say a naughty word or vocally take issue with something someone who is not me has said. Then you end up in the heretic camp with me.

As for your comment about my previous post, I was giving Keo a compliment. He has nothing to prove so he was able to take Will's words for what they mean. He's not in a rush to show everyone how egalitarian he is, and he possesses enough reading comprehension to not take certain phrases too literally. I was even agreeing with him. So now... you are actually condemning me for agreeing with someone. Bravo.

Jul 13, 2009
EMOmagic, you're a twink and who let you out of my basement?

Talk about derail.

Edit:
Sorry there was more to this post it just got deleted in the editing process.

Thanks Steer for the compliment.

Your welcome Draven for the input, it is a subject that interests me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2010
Sentences like this are why people like me act the way we do. Several people in this thread missed Will's point entirely. Even after having this explained to them, they persisted in their original arguments. That makes them demonstrably wrong.

I'm losing patience with this politically correct nonsense, the idea that there is no right or wrong and everyone is an extra-special flower child who can do no ill... until they say a naughty word or vocally take issue with something someone who is not me has said. Then you end up in the heretic camp with me.

As for your comment about my previous post, I was giving Keo a compliment. He has nothing to prove so he was able to take Will's words for what they mean. He's not in a rush to show everyone how egalitarian he is, and he possesses enough reading comprehension to not take certain phrases too literally. I was even agreeing with him. So now... you are actually condemning me for agreeing with someone. Bravo.

Dude, no sense.

Thanks Steer, and Keo, for helping back up what I was originally getting at with this thread. I honestly thought for a second that some good insight would go to waste because people weren't getting at what I was saying.

EMO... I don't know where you're coming off with a direct assault on Steer in my thread, but if you wouldn't mind taking your personal attacks to your own thread, or into private it would be appreciated. Mm-Kay? thanks!

Steer may be blunt, and painfully frank at times, but He's usually right. He's not known to voice a strong opinion about something unless he's willing to back it up with facts. Trying to pick a fight with him is just asking for a headache. I'm just trying to help you out here.

Sep 1, 2007
Dude, no sense.

Does "no sense" refer to your reply or that you didn't actually read what I had to say? Because it's a bit rich of you to complain about me, and then complain again when I speak in my defense.

Look, if you have nothing of actual substance to say to me, just stop. And if you only registered on this board to complain about me, then who is the one doing damage to this thread again? If you have anything else to say to me, you can take it to PM. Otherwise I suggest you start contributing to this thread. You know, like I actually was doing all along?

Steer may be blunt, and painfully frank at times, but He's usually right. He's not known to voice a strong opinion about something unless he's willing to back it up with facts. Trying to pick a fight with him is just asking for a headache. I'm just trying to help you out here.

To repeat myself, I may not be the most popular guy in the world, but I get results.

Anyway Will, you're dealing with a pretty weighty subject that forces people out of their comfort zones. There's going to be more resistance before this is over.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Calm down EMO. Steerpike has a very valid point. Let's all get along and you can sit this one out maybe. These threads can get a bit stressful. This is William Draven's thread and I don't want it to be destroyed. He has some great points. So maybe just read everything and silently think about it. That is what this is forum is for. To make our magic better through discussion and theory. Thank you for your two cents now lets get back to the topic.

William, I do think you have a great point. In fact, when I go to the castle next time I will ask one of my favorite magicians Bill Goodwin to how I can make myself a career in magic and what he sees I need work on and see how he got over these certain hurdles.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Dude, no sense.

Hint: You're one of the people who missed the point.

Nice post, Draven - I completely agree. On a mildly related topic, networking was a skill taught to me whilst I was very young, and I consider it one of my best attributes today. People make the world go round; associating with those that spin the fastest and shine the brightest is certainly one of the best ways to improve.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
It's also important to watch (maybe not associate with) people in the field who aren't going places. Knowing what to do can help you succeed, knowing what NOT to do will help you from failing. Even if you do everything right, doing one thing wrong can put you back to the beginning where you have to start over. A lot of successful people can tell you what to do right as well as things to avoid, but I think stories about why someone failed can be just as good and in some cases better than the advice given to help you succeed.

I think a good book that many magicians wouldn't have read (rather, the average magician who doesn't know about books that don't contain tricks) that gives a good view on how to be successful is Malcolm Gladwell's 'The Tipping Point'. It hits on why things become popular, ranging from small communities all the way to national trends. It may seem unrelated, but it talks about different people in the book and how knowing what types of people to network and connect with can help you succeed.

It's an interesting read at any rate, and something to get you away from books on magic for a while (a few days for fast readers, a week for someone who has no time and drags through it slowly).

Nov 8, 2010
Vernon B.C
It's also important to watch (maybe not associate with) people in the field who aren't going places. Knowing what to do can help you succeed, knowing what NOT to do will help you from failing. Even if you do everything right, doing one thing wrong can put you back to the beginning where you have to start over. A lot of successful people can tell you what to do right as well as things to avoid, but I think stories about why someone failed can be just as good and in some cases better than the advice given to help you succeed.

very good point, im surprised it took until now for someone to mention that, but im glad someone did.

im also surprised and how many people took this out of context, draven, excellent advice indeed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results