Aligning Packets on the One-Handed Shuffle.

Sep 1, 2007
Inevitably, whenever I attempt the one-handed shuffle, I screw up the part right before the two packets are weaved together, when I'm supposed to be aligning them. Is there some magical solution with unicorns and mermaids that I'm not getting?

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
well the fact is the more you practise the more aligned they will be, regardless of the type of move you use for the weave position. how ever if they somehow are totally off you can adjust them by sliding your index finger and moving with your thumb, assuming you are holding 1 package with your thumb and index, and other with index with the rest of the fingers. in the worst case scenario you can hold one of the packet with middle and ring finger with pinky while holding the other with index and thumb, with 2 lose packet you can allign them as much as you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
really? he means he literally laughed out loud... internet slang rarely matches reality, for example when I say "ROTFLMAO,LOL,OMG,OMG,MMORPG" it usually means I chuckled.

to keep on topic... longman, you have to get an absolute iron grip on the packets so that your grip is inherently stable i.e. the packets are being squished on both top and bottom sides. depending on how you do the division, you have to develop different knacks.

Jerry does the swivel cut to separate it because it's so stable you can do it upside down. however I prefer the traditional way taught on XB, because you don't have to change your grip on the first packet after you grab it (swivelling makes me lose control)

BUt this way is a bit worse because you have to kind of balance the packet you're weaving into. you can't even really do it in the wind :(

I'm not talking about the LOL. I'm asking why did he laugh at the statement. "Proper alignment comes from being able to get your fingers to stretch in such an awkward fashion." I don't find anything humorous in this statement at all. I'm pretty sure everyone in the forums knows what LOL stands for if you've been using the internet longer than a month.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
ok mate, before i thoroughly explain myself, i wonder why you care why i laugh about certain things you said, is it #1, you care what i think of your statement? if so then seriously stop caring, what i think of that isnt your problem.
#2, u are curious why i find something totally hilarious while u dont realize the humor urself? if that is so , read on.

Humor has different types, as a magician it is rather important to have a good sense of humor and build in to the patters you use, as that greatly increase the reactions you are getting, for Cardist im not sure if that is such important element. "Proper alignment comes from being able to get your fingers to stretch in such an awkward fashion." this statement is a type of humor that start with naming an accomplishment then end with the punch that you have to do something totally out of the ordinary. It contains all the element a good punchline needs, the Target, Hostility, Realism, Exaggeration, Emotion and Suprize" Unfortunately i do not have the exact name for this type of humor as im not an expert comedian, how ever if you wish to look it up, i recommand the book, "comedy writing secrets".
An example of this type of humor is: "Im a guy who can drink coffee and alcohol at the same time, that explains my bad breach, limp dick, and why i wouldnt go to sleep." or "To sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger all you need to do is get a halloween mask and mouth full of candy."

The End

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that I'm worried is I'm not being clear in trying to help Longman out here. Making people laugh wasn't part of my agenda in this post, I'll save those for other posts where dancing midgets and girls leaning to take a sip from a handicap water fountain are present in discussion. Since it really seems to be funny, I made it completely accidentally then. So lemme rephrase for the record:

Your fingers probably aren't used to sliding the top part of deck out like that and probably feel a little shaky when your JUST holding packets in preparation for the weave. There just aren't very many cuts and moves that require the slide out position for a one-hand shuffle. Some simple finger stretching from Greg Irwin should help a lot.

Sep 1, 2007
The thing that I'm worried is I'm not being clear in trying to help Longman out here. Making people laugh wasn't part of my agenda in this post, I'll save those for other posts where dancing midgets and girls leaning to take a sip from a handicap water fountain are present in discussion. Since it really seems to be funny, I made it completely accidentally then. So lemme rephrase for the record:

Your fingers probably aren't used to sliding the top part of deck out like that and probably feel a little shaky when your JUST holding packets in preparation for the weave. There just aren't very many cuts and moves that require the slide out position for a one-hand shuffle. Some simple finger stretching from Greg Irwin should help a lot.

Thank you very much. That is helping.

Sep 1, 2007
Hey Sharog did you hear the one about the farmer that won the Nobel Peace Prize, he was outstanding in his field.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results