Arranging cards for next trick

Feb 26, 2010
Hey Guys,

My first post, really excited to be on the forum. My question is how do you get ready for the next trick that requires a few card on the top (like four aces)? How do you hide this procedure?

This has always been a problem for me, either the process is too long, or I don't have enough patter to keep the people occupied. What do you suggest? Any books or videos I should resource?

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hey Guys,

My first post, really excited to be on the forum. My question is how do you get ready for the next trick that requires a few card on the top (like four aces)? How do you hide this procedure?

This has always been a problem for me, either the process is too long, or I don't have enough patter to keep the people occupied. What do you suggest? Any books or videos I should resource?

Thanks!

Welcome aboard! You should try culling, it's the best technique for what you want.

To learn it, the best source that I can mention is Kostya's Kimlat "the roadrunner cull"

Search for it, you will not be dissapointed.

May 3, 2008
The most commonly used way is culling which is good if you need multiple cards I would say.
Another way I've done it is to set up under the action of searching for cards to take out of the deck. For example, tell them that you don't need the jokers and take them out while casually cutting the cards you need to the top.
Honestly, I setup in front of spectators which some people disagree with, but I see no problem in doing so if I only need a small amount of cards.

Feb 26, 2010
Wow that was quick responses... Thanks!

Typically how long should it take to setup the deck? I assume a couple of seconds. Maybe I just need to speed up my culling.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Wow that was quick responses... Thanks!

Typically how long should it take to setup the deck? I assume a couple of seconds. Maybe I just need to speed up my culling.

It's actually really fast, it only takes "going through the deck" once while talking or something (using some misdirection) to get the 4 aces on top. It's that quick.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i like to show em and say, lets do some four aces magic. put em on top. control the crap outta the deck and go into whatever i want to do with em.

a little risky if your controls arent 110% perfect and no ones are. but i love a little risk in my life

recommendations for controls. over hand shuffle top to bottom to top. injog and break shuffle off. injog break and pass. riffle shuffle a few times. false cuts are nice. go till their convinced. dont over do it.

good luck bro welcome aboard.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
No one ever notices if you just take the cards out.
After an effect just keep talking or mumble to yourself about what trick to perform. Cut the aces or what ever to the top of the deck. Add an extra top stock retaining shuffle and no one will think anymore of it.
Do it confidently and act as if youre just messing around. No one will know.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
This is routining. There's a good book that has some information on this in the back. It's called the Royal Road to Card Magic.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
This is routining. There's a good book that has some information on this in the back. It's called the Royal Road to Card Magic.

dude! those routines are terrible.

granted they do give alot on how to go from one trick to the next slieght wise through example. i have used some stuff in there for help. so i guess reading through those could be helpful. and maybe performing them a few times.

Sep 1, 2007
It doesn't even need to be that fast. Just have something interesting to say to keep them occupied, which isn't as hard as it sounds. Look at the area around you to give you some material. For example:

"This is the first time I've been to a jazz club, I admit." Preparing a cull to get a force card ready. "Some magicians actually like to do what's called jazz magic. Just make it up as they go. You want to give it a try right now? Get into the spirit of things?"

Corny? A little. But not everything you say needs to be brilliant. It provides enough of a motivation to transition into the next effect, and the implication of spontaneity takes the heat off of your hands and whatever movement you were doing. It accomplishes that all-important task of making every move look entirely incidental.

Feb 26, 2010
Thanks again for the replies.

I usually perform at coffee tables or kitchen counters, any suggestion on misdirections for these areas?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Misdirection doesnt need to be contextual.
Misdirection can come purely from talking abd body language; looking at them makes them look at you. Looking at a card makes them look at it. Gesturing with a hand signal makes them look at it. You don't really need to use what is around you. The most you can do is pick up something or point to it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
dude! those routines are terrible.

granted they do give alot on how to go from one trick to the next slieght wise through example. i have used some stuff in there for help. so i guess reading through those could be helpful. and maybe performing them a few times.

Who said to perform those exact routines?

As you said, it's not the routine that I'm directing people to, it's the information contained in the book about HOW to routine. How to flow from one trick to the next, using the method of the first to prepare for the second.

Jul 13, 2009
Gah I am such a lazy fart, I just run through the cards and set it up in front of them. Yeah even an OOTW, I just do a quick sloppy shuffle triumph. Also I am one of those guys who talks between tricks grab the cards I need put them where they need to go then act dismissive and "Shuffle" the cards and go on with the effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results