Be ready, it can happen anywhere.

Jan 18, 2009
I went to New Orleans today for a basketball game with the Hornets and Suns and I had plenty of time to kill. I was with my parents since they bought the tickets and when we were in the aquarium I decided to head in the giftshop and see any cards they may have, and their cards were smaller but had great grip and decent fans.

While I was doing some Werms and Sybils some jackass made a rude comment about me and the cards. I guess his friend or girlfriend kinda got ticked off at him for being a jerk and we started talking and she asked me about the cards and I told her I did some magic. She was somewhat estatic at this point and saw a quick classic color change, she asked her friends to come over and I did a biddle, blueprint, palm change, montes, and tons of stuff (five hours to kill). What I didn't notice was that the guy was actually in there and tried to mess up my big finale trick and when he tried to show off I did card to mouth and he was the last one to notice and was blown away.

Well.... I was walking away talking to a few people and the manager came up and asked me to come to his office with him. At first I was nervous and was about to bolt, but I was there for a day and couldn't care less. I came in and he actually offered me a job right there, he said he could pay me a good amount (more than I usually ask for). He said that it would help with wait time with the shark feeding and create an overall postivie experience. Only conditions were that I use his cards as much as possible and recommend the gift shop at the end of everything, I was very pleased with myself and while I would love to have the gig which was twice a week three hours a day (shifts) I live three and a half hours away.

I hope while reading you realize that no matter where you perform someone can be watching and rating you for a future job. So never half ass your performance, though I'm sure no one tries to, and always be ready for when oppurtunity strikes.

Btw, my Phoenix Suns won. :D

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Wow. That Was A Cool Story. I Hope That happens To me. Everywhere i perform They Say I cause A Commotion Because Of The Crowds And Then They Tell Me To Leave lol. So I guess I'm Sticking To The Streets For A While :(

Sep 1, 2007
Wow, that's ridiculous. What an awesome story. I guess we underestimate our ability to grab people's attention sometimes. And to think your job offer was started by you just fiddling around with some flourishes. That story definitely makes me want to break out my cards more in public. Keep it up man!

Jul 14, 2008
Wow, this is an inspiring story and I hope that guy (who made fun of you) learned the power of magic. I am truly blown away.

Sep 23, 2008
Selma, NC
That's awesome!! That happened to me once at a flea market except I didn't get a job, I got a one time gig. But that's awesome you got a job.

<golf clap> Bravo! </golf clap>

Well done. That could be exactly what you need to work on new material and master your current stuff. A rare opportunity indeed if the pay and hours are what they should be.

Nicely done.

Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. It is very true that you should try and do magic in public as much as you can, or at least as much as you want to. I never intended in getting a job, but this has definitely made me more aware of the oppurtunities that surround us when we least expect it.

To anybody that is nervous about doing any magic in public, fish them out by just doing anything natural with cards (flourishes, IT), if no one asks but notice then you can just go straight up to them with any normal introduction and then they will be much more open into watching w/e you have to show them.

Ace to Z, I have had that problem only twice in the mall and that was on realllllly busy saturday's that was causing issues with traveling through the walkways. If you really want to get lucky with an oppurtunity then my best bet would go directly to the place you want or think about when managers or anybody with a voice goes out and where they may go. If you can impress a crowd and somebody notices that has authority in their job then you're all set.

Best of Luck

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results