Beginning Magic

Sep 6, 2009
USA
Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic. Most of the time you can find it at your local library and check it out for free. There is a lot of good stuff in there for the beginner. I would go for the Art of Astonishment books until much later. Those books could easily overwhelm the beginner.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Depends what do you want to do? I if you are a card guy you should pick up The Royal Road to Card Magic it has everything to get you started in card magic. The tricks are sooo insane but simple. Get it.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
You should ALWAYS first try to learn an overall magic approach.
Not concentrate on one subject,especially when you havent touched on magic at all.
Mark wilsons encyclopedia of magic is good. I also think joshua jays beginner magic book is extensive in effects and history.
from there,after a while of performing those effects and you feel more drawn to a specific genre as in stage,close up,coins,etc. then delve into that.
But always go into general magic at the very beginning to really see what you want.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic. Most of the time you can find it at your local library and check it out for free. There is a lot of good stuff in there for the beginner. I would go for the Art of Astonishment books until much later. Those books could easily overwhelm the beginner.

Truthed.

Don't listen to anyone who recommends anything on this site. You're not ready yet. Mark Wilson is a great first book, as is Nicholas Einhorn's The Practical Encyclopedia of Magic. Royal Road is great as well.

Ian

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi danylo,

I'll give you a few of the most commonly recommended starting points for a few areas of magic. Any of these will set you up with more than what you need.

General Magic:
Harlan Tarbell's Tarbell Course in Magic
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Joshua Jay's Magic: The Complete Course
Henry Hay's The Amateur Magician's Handbook

Card Magic:
Hugard & Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic
Roberto Giobbi's Card College

Coin Magic:
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic

Mentalism:
Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals
Tony Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism
Annemann's (kind of) Practical Mental Effects (AKA Practical Mental Magic)

(If you want more details on specific areas of mentalism, eg. Cold Reading, Suggestion, etc., or go into these in more detail, PM me, but these are the basics)

Flourishing:
De'vo's Xtreme Beginners 1 & 2
Jerry Cestkowski's The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes

Rope Magic:
Richard Sanders' Fibre Optics Extended

I'm sure there are more, but these ones are the best of the best to start out with, and the best for beginners. There are several good products to go from there, but this is where you should start. I would like to stress that this is not the only way, but it's probably the most suggested way by professionals, and the most proven way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results