Beginning Mentalism

13 steps to mentalism-Book
Everything you need to know...The bible of mentalism

Emotional intelligence-DVD
Great 3phase trick, easy, impromptu,

keep in mind that most of mentalism is presentation. You need to be a performer in order to be a mentalist.

Jan 13, 2008
Before learning anything about mentalism, you may want to try learning how to use the search function here on the forums. :)

There's a wealth of information on these forums, and neglecting to put the effort into searching through it is both harmful to your learning and just plain lazy. In less than 30 seconds, with only one search, I found the following threads that would be more than useful to your cause: Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3.

With that said, I'd suggest Fundamentals of Mentalism by Bob Cassidy. 13 Steps can be a bit much for a beginner in the field...I'd definitely suggest Fundamentals over 13 Steps to begin with. From there, 13 Steps would be a good next step (hah), as well as...well, I'll let you read the above threads for some more ideas. :)

Also, I would highly suggest staying away from Emotional Intelligence if you're just getting into mentalism. It's a routine, not a learning tool; although, I love the routine, and would again suggest it for later on down the road.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
If you need anyone to speak to, I would suggest getting hold of Dee Christopher or praetoritevong, they're both good friends, and I'm sure they would love to help out a beginning mentalist ;)

Also, they have mad Mentalism abilities.

G

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Before learning anything about mentalism, you may want to try learning how to use the search function here on the forums. :)

There's a wealth of information on these forums, and neglecting to put the effort into searching through it is both harmful to your learning and just plain lazy. In less than 30 seconds, with only one search, I found the following threads that would be more than useful to your cause: Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3.

With that said, I'd suggest Fundamentals of Mentalism by Bob Cassidy. 13 Steps can be a bit much for a beginner in the field...I'd definitely suggest Fundamentals over 13 Steps to begin with. From there, 13 Steps would be a good next step (hah), as well as...well, I'll let you read the above threads for some more ideas. :)

Also, I would highly suggest staying away from Emotional Intelligence if you're just getting into mentalism. It's a routine, not a learning tool; although, I love the routine, and would again suggest it for later on down the road.

Beat me to it. I second everything said, especially about starting with fundamentals. Also, I'm going to throw in my vote for practical mental effects. It is also an excellent book.

A quick question for the creator of the thread, do you want mentalism? Or do you want mental magic?

EDIT: how could you forget me, G? * goes to the corner to cry because ego has been hurt.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
EDIT: how could you forget me, G? * goes to the corner to cry because ego has been hurt.

I didn't, I just temporarily misplaced yo-... Okay, I forgot :p

Don't forget Tally-ho! He might be busy being cool, but if he find time, I'm sure he will aid your cause ;)

G

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Fundamentals is the way to go. There is a reason its called Fundamentals. Mentalism is about getting the mindset correct before you even do anything.

Fundamentals man. Fundamentals.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Agreed. The important thing to note about beginning mentalism is this: mentalism is very different from magic. The mentality required to perform it is different. It needs to be presented differently. Most importantly, it requires a deeper understanding of what you're performing, how, and why. So basically, you need to learn how to be a mentalist, before you learn mentalism effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You are also going to have to learn how to get your hands dirty and how to make a lot of the things you do "No Big deal." IE: Billet work or any sort of impression Device you use later on.

If you need anyone to speak to, I would suggest getting hold of Dee Christopher or praetoritevong, they're both good friends, and I'm sure they would love to help out a beginning mentalist ;)

Also, they have mad Mentalism abilities.

G

Thanks for forgetting me too :), and D ICER and Steerpike!
Man theres alot of us here, never thought of that :).

Let me just talk about my start and current state to show you how you can learn it the hard but very pleasing way.

I had been doing magic for about a year or so and i felt pulled towards Mentalism and the whole concept of it all. I started out with Richard Osterlind, and i couldnt figure out what the heck this art was. It is still a mystery to me.
But then i found out about Banachek, then Docc Hilford, Max Maven, Docc again, D ICER helped me alot, Dee Christopher, Paul Brooks and now im exploring alot others. I have never read 13 Steps nor have i seen Bob Cassidys Books. I have fully gotten my knowledge from the streets and from doing gigs. The real world has taught me what Mentalism is and made it clear to me what path i have to follow to be successful.

If you have the willpower and determination to get humiliated alot and be on the verge of stopping doing everything and going back to your old self in the real world. I have always said, the choise of being a magician or a mentalist is like choosing your life. If you want to truly become one you have to live it, you have to breathe it, you have to be it. Your world will change so radically that you cant even imagine.

If you want to take the step then dont take it lightly, take it as it were the last thing you would do in your life.

Mikk

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Thanks Mikk for the mention (twice). I love our chats about mentalism and life in general. Oh and thankyou for trying out my routines for me so I can see if they are any good:p. (Nah man everything I have given you has been in my working material at least in some point.)

The best way to learn and perform mentalism I found is understanding one point, and one point only.

You cannot think of the actual method, but you cannot stop thinking about the pseudo-method.

This does not apply to creating mentalism for obvious reasons. But even then most of the work that is released is fairly simple and been around for hundreds of years. It is just a new application of the ideas. A great example of this is Marc Spelmann's DVD set The Chapters of Marc Spelmann. A few of the routines on the set involve gimmick envelopes and most of them are not coy hidden gimmicks either. However he understands that this is essentially a flaw but the psychology that he uses to make the envelopes nothing more than that, is to quote Max Maven "A thing of terrifying beauty." Not taking anything away from Spelmann's creativity as he has some truly unique thinking on a lot of the topics.

Getting back to that sentence from earlier 'you cannot think of the actual method'. For mentalism you need to just know what you are going to do next without thinking. Say you are doing a peek of a card and a a psuedo body tells reveal. Obviously you need to peek the card and you need to do that at the best possible time to make it a non-event. Many people have had too much to say on this topic but if you would like to know I will happily discuss them with you. However say you peeked the card and it was the three of diamonds and you go through the steps of determining the colour and suit and value, genuinely look for the person to give away their tells. It helps add believability to what you are doing, especially when the other members think they are catching on to the method (Derren Brown's BMX thing is a great example).

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Alright, do I really have to make a list? It's just that Prae and Dee popped up first!

Steerpike;
Praetoritevong;
Mr. MadMan (Mikk);
Tally-Ho;
D ICE R;
DeeChristopher;

I'm veryveryverytruly sorry if I forgot to mention someone on my list!

G

Alright, do I really have to make a list? It's just that Prae and Dee popped up first!

Steerpike;
Praetoritevong;
Mr. MadMan (Mikk);
Tally-Ho;
D ICE R David;
DeeChristopher;

I'm veryveryverytruly sorry if I forgot to mention someone on my list!

G

Haha, it seems me wanting to carry on the joke failed. Im sorry if i seemed a bit ego or rude.

Sorry!

Atleast we have a list now, looking on the bright side :)

Mikk

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Nah, nah - I aim to please ;)

Besides, It's good I start coming back to this thread, because I am seriously thinking of dropping the cards for a while and start with some of this.

G

Sep 24, 2007
They're all right, but never take anyone's suggestion to be the law. Contrary to what many people think, you can be a perfectly good mentalist without ever having touched a book or dvd. It really depends on you as a person

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
They're all right, but never take anyone's suggestion to be the law. Contrary to what many people think, you can be a perfectly good mentalist without ever having touched a book or dvd. It really depends on you as a person
I'm intrigued as to what the response to this post will be... Thanks for posting this view on things, Chicken. :)

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results