Best, to Impress!

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Im not talking about the cards itself, Im talking about the presentation used, the patter, the things that you are saying to them, all those things (in my opinion) can be adapted easier to card tricks and routines rather than using a coin and making it appear and dissapear all over the place.

I know that cards dont attract attention to them or connects with the audience the instant they see them, all I am saying its that there its a lot of room open for patter and presentation using cards.

I hope I made myself clear there =).

I see what you're saying.

At the same time, though, I'm not agreeing. I can see lots of other objects and routines which have a lot of room for a variety of scripts, improvisation, and different presentational hooks (and we're talking about just the objects themselves, obviously, not the ability of the performer).

I'd actually hazard to say I can see many, many more objects doing it better than a deck of cards can.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I even talked with steer about this, while there is no motivation to bring a pack of cards, one of our first objectives with the audience its to get their attention.

For example, steer pike told me the significance of the cards, how the four suits represented the four season of the year, and if you sum all of the numbers the total gives 365...While I agree with you guys about being "spontaneus" I also like the fact that depending in the way that you present the cards, you can get people interest.

Any wonder how people feel interested about the tarot cards? I mean, most of the people that does that kind of thing are just posers, but people feel attracted to it because of the mistery surrounding the cards, its the same with patter, they can come and say"look, using this cards I can predict your future and tell you a lot about you" it's an idea for patter using tarot cards, either way, they still feel atractted to them. To the mistery created around that object.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I'd actually hazard to say I can see many, many more objects doing it better than a deck of cards can.

I am not going to lie, I agree with you 100% about using other things rather than cards, but giving the conditions and situations where I perform, and the way I perform, I have found cards to adjust all my necesities. That's why I use them =).

Besides, talking about motivation, Im not like I just take my cards and say"wanna see something cool?" I usually wait until the opportunity araises...

Most of the time I use "cold reading" as an opener, if there its something that I learned from morgician, its that approaching people WITHOUT cards it's the best way to go, I usually approach, offer them to give them a cold reading and because its something alot of people doesnt know about, they feel interested, and I have a casual way of pulling out a deck of cards while keping that air of mistery around me and the cards.

Well, it has worked for me so far =).

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I am not going to lie, I agree with you 100% about using other things rather than cards, but giving the conditions and situations where I perform, and the way I perform, I have found cards to adjust all my necesities. That's why I use them =).

Besides, talking about motivation, Im not like I just take my cards and say"wanna see something cool?" I usually wait until the opportunity araises...

Most of the time I use "cold reading" as an opener, if there its something that I learned from morgician, its that approaching people WITHOUT cards it's the best way to go, I usually approach, offer them to give them a cold reading and because its something alot of people doesnt know about, they feel interested, and I have a casual way of pulling out a deck of cards while keping that air of mistery around me and the cards.

Well, it has worked for me so far =).

yes, but eventually people get tired of card tricks... when you perform regularly and about coins tricks they are not only vanishes because, wel,l a Coin Under Watch works great and I mean really great

My way of approaching people is just saying hello in a friendly way and talk to them briefly, then I pull out the cards or whatever I´m going to use and then ask them "Wanna see something?" or sometimes they just infere that I am a Magician when they see the cards

y ya we!! relajate!! de repente suena que quieres golpear a alguien

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
yes, but eventually people get tired of card tricks... when you perform regularly and about coins tricks they are not only vanishes because, wel,l a Coin Under Watch works great and I mean really great

My way of approaching people is just saying hello in a friendly way and talk to them briefly, then I pull out the cards or whatever I´m going to use and then ask them "Wanna see something?" or sometimes they just infere that I am a Magician when they see the cards

y ya we!! relajate!! de repente suena que quieres golpear a alguien

About the coin thing, I refer you to this thread http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=7134

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Im not talking about the cards itself, Im talking about the presentation used, the patter, the things that you are saying to them, all those things (in my opinion) can be adapted easier to card tricks and routines rather than using a coin and making it appear and dissapear all over the place.

As toyrobot said,magic is alot more than coins and cards. It can be anything.

I know that cards dont attract attention to them or connects with the audience the instant they see them, all I am saying its that there its a lot of room open for patter and presentation using cards.

I hope I made myself clear there =).

So can be said with other materials in that environment.
It seems you have a better grasp of connecting with audience than others.
But others ive seen use some points of your same argument to validate their laziness at doing anything more.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
But others ive seen use some points of your same argument to validate their laziness at doing anything more.

Lots of truth here, which is why I always approach the conversation so caustically, expecting this to be the other side. RD, if this isn't you, then I don't think we're on opposite sides of the playing field after all.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Lots of truth here, which is why I always approach the conversation so caustically, expecting this to be the other side. RD, if this isn't you, then I don't think we're on opposite sides of the playing field after all.

As I have said before I agree completely with you, I just gave my reasons of why I prefer to use cards, I mean, everything has its pros a cons. =)

BTW, I owe visual artist an apology, I sounded a bit rude at the beggining;).English it's not my first lenguage and sometimes I do not express myself the way I want to.:)

Alright, so I was performing for a kid in my school today. I was doing a card trick, it seemed he was amazed, but there wasn't that extra wow factor in his expressions. I executed the trick really well, but he didn't get that extra kick in his reactions because it was a card trick.

So, what tricks are a great kicker and a twist to the normal card trick? This may seem like a frequently asked question but what tricks get a great emotional reaction from the audience? Card tricks don't seem to take home the cake, maybe toward a more mentalism effect? Or organic effect?

Well how did you present the trick?

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Well how did you present the trick?

I'm not saying Lemon's presentation was flawless, or even good (because I didn't see it), but I wish that whenever someone says, "This trick or this performance didn't work out," that everyone would stop immediately jumping to the conclusion that their presentation must have been horrible.

Just because it's marketed as a strong piece of magic doesn't mean it always is.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results