Bizzare magic show help...

May 19, 2008
manchester
hi

me and my brother are planning to do a magic show for halloween (this year or next year we dont know), we have made a plan of the magic we would do.

part one of the show (20 mins aprox) the theme is mentalism.

1. devils touch
2. irreversable

the we would have a break of 10 mins

part two is 30 mins, the theme is talking to ghosts

1. ouju boured (im not very good at spelling sorry).

break for 10 mins

part 3 the theme is weird for 25 mins

1. pulse stop
2. saw
3. maybe a levitation???

the end of the show... At the end we would give out leaflets explaining that its not real magic we did and we didnt talk to real ghosts.

we would also have a running story going through the show to make it more like bizzare magic.

If you have any constructive critism then please reply, and we are happy to take certain parts out of the show etc etc.

thanks

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It seems like a fairly good line up. Just a few ideas, in section 1 it may be a little hard to stretch that out for 20 minutes although it really depends on your presentation. However with mentalism you do not want everything to hit all the time because then looks too much like a trick and not as 'real' as most like. For part 2 I would add a living dead test to get a little more audience involvement and to build the seance piece. Finally the last part I would try Luke Jermay's For Andruzzi to take the pulse stop to another level. Take what you want out of it, it is just my opinion.

May 19, 2008
manchester
thanks,

I agree with section 1 because me and my brother have just practiced it (a mock version) and it took about 10 or 15 mins. Ill bear than in mind about mentalism being to powerfulll etc etc...

for part two I dont understand what you mean by living dead, what would happen is about 4 people would all agree on a dead person they know and I dont and there would questions and answers etc etc (because this might be to emotional I would at the end say it was trickery)

for the last part I dont know what luke jeramys efect is, could you explain it a bit more??? thanks.

later ill post the story we are using with the show.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The Part 1 is just in my opinion too perfect but that is just my opinion. I cannot remember who said it but mentalism should only be correct 85% of the time, otherwise it looks fake. (I think was Docc Hilford.)

Part 2: Living dead tests is a classic of mentalism where three people write the name of alive people, and one person to write down a name of a dead person you say which one is the dead person after they are folded up and placed in a glass.

Part 3: For Andruzzi is one of my favorite pieces basically your pulse conformed by a spectator, then you get a spectator to take another spectator's pulse and you stop it without touching either spectator.

May 19, 2008
manchester
for part one I have what could be the perfect trick (and it can go a little wrong(yay!(lol)))

part two-living dead sounds good

part 3-this would clash with the story (if you stop your pulse (I would start it again yet) then you can go into a semi coma were you can do harm to yourself with things like saw, you can also break the laws of phisics (sp?) and then can levitate). even though the andruzzi sounds really good I probabbly wont use it.

thanks for the help as well.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
hum..if its a stage performance then maybe Haunted deck wouldnt be such a great piece, or ghost bill, but maybe you could go around the room during the breaks and perform those too, it would be like a mix of stage + street magic. ANother suggestion is Control from wayne houchy wouchy. :D i believe that one is quite freaky, although maybe for a large group it might not work so well. how many people will be there?

edit: sorry, i skipped over the pulse stop thing...but good luck on the show!

May 19, 2008
manchester
twenty or thirty people probabbly.

and we have changed some parts of the show now.

part 1 (mentalism)

A trick were I use a key card instead of muscle reading. (I explain I use muscle reading)

A prediction trick were I peek at a name or number the spectator has writen down.

part 2 (ghosts, spirits etc)

spooky spooky spooky talking to the dead with a ouju boured (sp.), although I have to buy a ouju boured, (does anyone know were I can buy an ouju boured for quite cheap)?

part 3 (weird and wonderfull)

1. vanishing card (back palm)
2. some kind of levitation (maybe the criss angle one? is it any good?)
3. some kind of pulse stop, (either wayne houchy wouchys or the classic pulse stop)

and that should be it, Ive changed it so that its not so "perfect" with the mentalsim and not so gruesome with the weird (saw).

thanks

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
Sounds good, but why would you want to hand out something explaining that you're a fake? You want the spectators do believe that you have certain paranormal abilities. Telling people that it's not real takes away all mysticality (word?) and, in my opinion, makes the show seem unprofessional.

May 19, 2008
manchester
thanks

okay alots changed now, were not doing the leaflets (the only reason we would do leaflets is because of the ouju boured), because were not doing the ouju boured any more,

NOW were doing

part 1

(part one has stayed the same)

key card trick
peek at the letter slash number the volenteer(sp.) writed down and reveal...

part two
saw
a coin bend or spoon bend (which do you recomend(sp.))
and something else on explicit content (what does any of you recomend(sp.))

part three

control

and that would be it.

we are inviting 15 or 20 people.

and thats as far as we have got for now...

May 19, 2008
manchester
okay, for the show we are gonna buy saw and explicit content both from sean fields and I was wondering if there was a good peek in explicit content and a good spoon bending routine???

thanks

May 19, 2008
manchester
okay change of plan AGAIN, (it happens alot I know)

part 1
force a card and reveal in a spoooooooky way (stigmata)???
and a center peek trick???

part 2
swallow a ring and use saw to get it out
spoon bending from explicit content (are they impromptu)?

part 3
that which you fear from explicit content (maybe this could go in section 1)?
control

the end and for music we have

part 1

we dont know (any suggestions?)

part 2

insicure (from the wayne houchin montage)

part 3

(for control) the song they use in control at the end

the end

time is running out-muse

so thats what its like now... what do you think???

thanks

Jan 3, 2008
I do not think that music would fit into this style routine, because it distracts. Do not underestimate silence, it is very powerful.

If you still cnsider music in background, please, leave pulse stop effect without it. Let the silence be your music.

p.s. try to create control atmosphere like wayne did. Something that you would like to try and not just a part of your show. I believe it will get more reality to your routine.

Feel free to hate me.

Tomas Simkus

May 19, 2008
manchester
okay I know what you mean and we wont have music (exept at the end when there all leaving),

I know what you mean about control but its a differant style of show from what he did... (understand?)

actually we will have more music but live classicle guitar when were reading some of the storys out (spookyish music though).

Feel free to hate me.

no way!!! you wrote contrustive critism (sp.) :D

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p2944/White_Star_-_By_Jim_Critchlow/product_info.html

White Star would probably be an insane closer for Part 2 if you tweaked the patter slightly so that it's along the lines of "if the picture says anything to you, put it in x pile, if it doesn't, put it in y pile"

That's me in the White Star trailer ;)

It's a nice effect and would probably be more powerful for you in this situation than a ouija demo - I'm not sure that would really fit in with the rest of the show.

Plus if you did a routine like you mentioned, ("Having 4 people decide on some one they know that's dead") If performed incorrectly could cause emotional trauma.

I'd recommend, if you do a ouija routine, that you let people know that the demo has been created for entertainment purpose and isn't real and DO NOT claim to contact anyone's dead friends or relatives, it'll do you more harm than good I assure you.

Good luck with your show! Hallowe'en is always my favorite night of the year to perform!:)

D.

Sep 1, 2007
I wouldn't do Stigmata.

I'd recommend you look into Mark Edward's book Restless Plots if possible and study the card tricks therein, particularly the Tarot effects.

As for music, Nox Arcana has some good stuff. Personally speaking, I'm a fan of Anders Manga and have considered using his song Welcome to the Horror Show for when people are coming in and taking their seats.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results