Business Card Problem

First off, what all of you guys have is a calling card. That's all it is. That's not a business card. A business card WORKS FOR YOU! I've recently re-designed mine, and it's already booked me 1 gig off the card alone! (someone got it from a friend, and booked me...oh, and I do many more parties though).

A calling card is simply your name and contact info. Maybe a flashy picture or design, but that's it.

A business card gets the client to WANT TO HIRE YOU! When you design a business card, you have to take into consideration a USP, testimonial, etc.

It's a common mistake that many people think that if you slap your name and contact on a card with some clip art, that makes it a business card. WRONG! A business card will work for you, and gets the client thinking that they have to call you. That they have to HAVE YOU, and NO ONE ELSE! Keep in mind you also have to have a good product (show) and good publicity.

On my business card, I have 2 sides, both color...and it's a vertical card. Something different and unique. Check out the picture....

I'd prefer not to give out what I have on the back though, as a lot of hard work went into it to get the wording just right and I don't want a lot of people to have something similar. But, there are about 40 words on the back, and that includes a USP, testimonial, and call to action.

Best.
Steve

P.S. There is nothing wrong with having a calling card. Nothing at all...just depends on your style, that's all. I have a friend who has a multi-million dollar deal with AM Resorts in Mexico (no BS. But he also has many other performers underneath him on the same contract though), and his business card is extremely simple. But then again, he's at the point where he doesn't actively market because of the past relationships he's built with clients. :D

Attachments

• FINALbizcard copy.jpg
    FINALbizcard copy.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 75
Sep 3, 2007
I dont entirely agree....i make my business card work for me by incorporating it into a prediction trick, i write my prediction on the back and then when its over they get to keep the card and then every time they look at it they go "holy crap" i remember that bad-ass trick he did.

I had someone come up to me like 6 months after i performed the trick and they still had it and remembered it exactly.

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
so what steve's saying is that a business card and a calling card are one in the same.. the calling card TURNS INTO a business card when you get a gig. hmm... wasn't that the point of designing this so called "calling card?" to get business? hence business card? I don't agree with him at all.

IMO, a calling card is something that's left at the 'scene' to let people know who's been there, etc... a business card is presented to people that genuinely have an interest in your business. Also, a 'calling card' doesn't have contact information.

What's the point in designing a business/calling card if you're a newbie to anything. I'm sure there are some jokers out there that learn 2 tricks and make business cards to sell what they know.. me being in magic for over 16 years, I think I'm at a right to call mine a BUSINESS CARD.. no matter what's on the front, back, or if it's portrait or landscape

my 2p

-Deryn

Last edited by a moderator:
Deryn,

You have all the right in the world to call it what you want...I was simply giving my opinion. And like I said, a calling card CAN WORK.

But, I think you mis-understood my point. A calling card is simply your name and contact info (it really is a business card, but I say calling card because you give it to the client in hopes that they will call you) .

With a business card, you have things like a unique selling point, testimonial, a call to action (urgency), etc. It makes the client want to call you, to feel like they HAVE TO CALL YOU. Instead of just contact info, it turns into a mini brochure.

After re-reading my post, it came off a bit arrogant. My apologies if anyone took it the wrong way, as it's easy to do on a message board.

Just my thoughts...
Steve

Steve,

If I'm reading your post right, you are making sound like business card will get you business by itself. It can't. That's like buying a used car just by looking at the window sticker. The business card is only a reminder of who you are and the contact information of the person. You must SELL YOURSELF in this industry.

Basically, Life = Retail...Yeah it sucks but it's life.

If I sound brash, I apologize. I try to get message across clearly.

Peace and Love,
Mitch.Conroy

Steve,

If I'm reading your post right, you are making sound like business card will get you business by itself. It can't. That's like buying a used car just by looking at the window sticker. The business card is only a reminder of who you are and the contact information of the person. You must SELL YOURSELF in this industry.

Basically, Life = Retail...Yeah it sucks but it's life.

If I sound brash, I apologize. I try to get message across clearly.

Peace and Love,
Mitch.Conroy

Completely right. If you re-read my original post, I said; "Keep in mind you also have to have a good product (show) and good publicity."

But yes, you're 100% right. In order to be successful at sales you have to have a good product, good publicity, and good marketing. You need ALL of those things to book more shows. But a business card (properly designed) can definitely help with that.

Thanks Mitch! :)

-Steve

P.S. Thanks Crisco!!!!!! :D

Sep 2, 2007
Switzerland
If I ever get good enough to need a calling-card,
I think I'd design a playing card, maybe a mini-playing card, and get them printed somewhere.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results