Card Manipulation 101: Volume 2 by Dan Sperry

Card Manipulation 101: Volume 2​
By Dan Sperry

Okay, last week we first experienced the Manipulation 101 series by Dan Sperry.

I wrote a review for Volume 1 and now wish to follow it with Volume 2. As I began watching the 1on1 tonight I realized how much I really left out of my first review, so I hope to make up for that with this one.

What You Learn:
Backpalming Multiple Cards (With Production)
The Perfect Production
Split Fanning
The Pivot Move

When I went into the first 1on1 I certainly did not do it for the backpalm. I knew the backpalm and played around with it all the time... why relearn it, right? Well, boy was I wrong. Since the watching volume 1 my backpalm has very noticeably improved. With this revelation, I was psyched for Volume 2.

Now, I have said before that there is no reason to touch on production quality with T11 products, HOWEVER, I failed to mention a really cool feature in the Manipulation 1on1's. After each move is taught you are then showed a slow motion shot from behind Dan's hand of the move done several times. It is a perfect way to look at finger position and get a slow-mo of the mechanics.

Once again, everything is taught very well. At first I really thought it seemed a bit rushed, but actually realized its all you really need to learn the moves. I never had to run the video back because I didn't understand a move. In fact the only time I ran the video back was to re-watch (and laugh at) Dan's... uh... vocal slip during a section of the video (Thank you, Andrie, for leaving that in!).

Yes, this video is shorter than Volume 1 (Around 25 minutes instead of 35), but the first video has a section on props and how to prepare your cards which takes up that extra time. All in all the actual time on the moves is pretty much the same.

A little note: Ever since watching Volume 1 i've been trying to do a multiple production from backpalm... I mean its the same move, right? For some reason I just couldn't do it, sprayed cards everywhere every time I tried. Literally before the end of the video (during the "Final Thoughts") I successfully did a multiple single card backpalm production without messing up. Now, that doesn't mean this download will suddenly make you be able to do the moves as soon as you watch it, but I do thing that speaks for something.

At the end of the video Dan talks about "Controlled Environmental Routining" and has allot of great things to say about it. Personally, I've just begun getting into that exact thing (via many forms of manipulation) and really enjoyed hearing his thoughts on it.

All in all, another great 1on1 and part of this series. These 1on1's are providing us with enough rope to play with, but not hang ourselves with, which is exactly what I need. If I had bought McBride's DVD set I'd be so over my head and trying to run before I walk, which is a very bad thing.

So Dan, T11, thanks for the great product and I look forward to Volume 3.

Thanks for reading,
C

Last edited by a moderator:
When I went into the first 1on1 I certainly did not do it for the backpalm. I knew the backpalm and played around with it all the time... why relearn it, right? Well, boy was I wrong. Since the watching volume 1 my backpalm has very noticeably improved. With this revelation, I was psyched for Volume 2.

Those were my thoughts exactly, and my backpalm improved SO much after last week.

Minnesota weather...love iiiiiiiiit...

hey guys, i know i gota reply to the last thread on volume one about a few things but just got back from a gig in Missouri - a 8 hour drive each way from minnesota (where i currently am) to MO then back to MN again and i just got in and there was like some kind of ground blizzard and yeah it sucked balls so not to be a douche and not get back to you guys just my internet was limited...i appreciate the support of the 1 on 1's that we're putting out and I'm very happy to hear not only are you guys enjoying learning along but to see that you are improving from them as the series goes on is just as rewarding...keep practicing and spread the love and spread the word, i'll be back tomorrow night night.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
hey guys, i know i gota reply to the last thread on volume one about a few things but just got back from a gig in Missouri - a 8 hour drive each way from minnesota (where i currently am) to MO then back to MN again and i just got in and there was like some kind of ground blizzard and yeah it sucked balls so not to be a douche and not get back to you guys just my internet was limited...i appreciate the support of the 1 on 1's that we're putting out and I'm very happy to hear not only are you guys enjoying learning along but to see that you are improving from them as the series goes on is just as rewarding...keep practicing and spread the love and spread the word, i'll be back tomorrow night night.

Just out of curiosity, where in Missouri were you performing in? I live in Northern Missouri, in Chillicothe.

Dec 17, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I ordered it and first there was the mix up with the wrong download link being sent. Then after that got fixed my internet was acting weird and every time I kept trying to download it, it would only get so far and then stop. I had one more attempt left that I was going to try to use when I got home but since I had to reboot my internet system earlier I am now getting the ""wrong IP error""So I submitted a trouble ticket and am waiting patiently. Unfortunately it seems no one responds to them on the weekend. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

I really can't wait to sink my teeth into Vol.2. I thoroughly enjoyed Vol.1.

It's kind of funny I had just started getting into the whole manipulation thing. I have been working on McBride's Manipulation Without Tears and then just recently picked up Jeff Sheridan's Genius at Work Vol 2. Both really good sources for learning manip techniques. And I have a good friend who is helping me learn as well. Then I just happened to check T11 and saw the Sperry 1 on 1. Along with the other sources it is really rounding out my learning. Can't wait to see what 2 has in store as well as further lessons. I've been working on the continuous front and backpalm for a while now and some multiple productions. But only started serious study for a little under a month. I am definitely seeing much improvement and these lessons are really helping.

I also just ordered a deck of manip cards and fanning powder which should be arriving soon.

Btw, Dan, I first saw you on the 2008 World Magic Awards and I really like your style. Very similar to the kind of stuff I woould eventually like to do.

Thanks again Dan! Keep up the awesome work.
David A.

Thanks guys glad you like it, i'm honored to be able to be working with bayme and everybody at T11...looking forward to bringing some different things to you guys who want to move into more stand up/stage type performance venues where i can help out i'll be there we're a brotherhood and need to help support eachother and help to attain the much deserved respect this art deserves...

Jun 20, 2008
benson book

Hey i just wanna say this is great stuff. manipulation cards came in yesterday and wow, it is so much easier than using bee cards. I used bee cards because I hate them for doing anything else. Slow-mo helps a lot, but it would also be good if you could add a voice over on the slow-mos so that you could emphasize different aspects (proper form, do's, dont's, etc.)

I was wondering in your first vid, u mentioned a book by roy benson. I've been looking around for it but cannot seem to find it. could you give me the title of the book? Thanks in advance, and thanks for everything!

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I just bought the 1-on-1. Its great and all but i was disappointed that it didn't teach how to vanish multiple cards. Like backpalming multiple cards one right after the other. Is that gonna be on Vol. 3 or something?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results