Close-Up Pad substitutes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lolhammertime, May 5, 2016.

1. Hello!

I can't really afford a close-up mat right now, but I need a soft surface to practice magic, ribbon spreads, tabled flourishes, etc...

Any ideas on a cheap alternative?

And no, I don't have a carpet in my house.

Gabriel Z. likes this.
  2. Try looking up playmats used in games like Magic:the Gathering, Yugioh, etc.

Gabriel Z. and lolhammertime like this.
  3. Just a table cloth really. If you want it softer, add a kitchen towel underneath (experimenting with thickness).

I made a large homemade one. I had a large piece of black velvet/velour fabric (but that would be pretty cheap to pick up I'm sure). I then went to a vehicle upholstery shop and asked for a scrap piece of foam liner (what they use under the fabric headliner in car roof interior). They let me take a piece for free. Now I have a huge closeup mat that was free!

Gabriel Z. and lolhammertime like this.
  4. Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll try these and see which works best for me.

5. One more, I used to use a green towel when I first started.

lolhammertime likes this.
  6. I am glad I found this thread, this is something I have been wondering about.

7. Best place to practice for me while I was learning was the foot of the bed.

Rev and lolhammertime like this.
  8. Anything with a soft smooth surface will work. I usually don't take my pad with me so I practice on a chair or the couch most of the time haha

9. I used to practice on my computer chair but I had to kneel down while practicing so it was quite uncomfortable.