Constructive Criticism of My Pass

Dec 26, 2009
It is better than my riffle pass so I give it a 5. If you want some good pointers on the riffle pass I would check out Chad Nelsons riffle pass or see if you can catch Tony Chang on The Magic Session.

It is better than my riffle pass so I give it a 5. If you want some good pointers on the riffle pass I would check out Chad Nelsons riffle pass or see if you can catch Tony Chang on The Magic Session.

I seen the riffle pass of chad nelson, its good but one thing that i dont like on his technique is that he riffle the card two times before he execute the change.. For me, i like to go with the move as long as i return the upper pack of deck to the lower pack of deck. well, everyone has a different technique to do the moves, i think its better to do your on way rather than copying the techniques of others.. as long as your comfortable to do so.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Well, if you want constructive criticism, than you shouldn't ask for a scale from 1 to 10, because that's not constructive criticism.

And was that a bridge size deck of cards? If not than 4, if yes then 0.

Jul 13, 2009
I'd give it a four. It was good but lacked so many subtleties that would hide the tiny flash of cards. Another note I am going to get on about is, when is your spectators or other viewers pointed at a straight down angle? To really critique I'd have to see the entire deck.
With that said I suggest you use a slight rocking motion, or movement of the thumb to help distract from the tiny flash of the packets shifting. Personally if you weren't performing this for a camera, it'd be exceptional in real life situations.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I seen the riffle pass of chad nelson, its good but one thing that i dont like on his technique is that he riffle the card two times before he execute the change.. For me, i like to go with the move as long as i return the upper pack of deck to the lower pack of deck. well, everyone has a different technique to do the moves, i think its better to do your on way rather than copying the techniques of others.. as long as your comfortable to do so.

Because Chad riffles twice before doesn't mean you have to do it either, you shouldnt not like it because of that. Do what you want to do. You buy it for his technique when the pass is executed. I have the OnDemand and it has helped me a ton.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
All that matters is how you do it in performance not in front of the camera, just my honest opinion. Watch Lee Smith perform(go on Youtube). He does not have the best pass in the world even but the way he performs it all flies by :D Just a helpful tip.

Because Chad riffles twice before doesn't mean you have to do it either, you shouldnt not like it because of that. Do what you want to do. You buy it for his technique when the pass is executed. I have the OnDemand and it has helped me a ton.

I dont mean that chad nelson pass technique is not good. what i mean is, i dont like the scenario that he riff the deck twice before he do the pass. for me, every spectator has a different approach and understanding on what the artist will do. By riffling the card twice before executing the move will trigger the spectator that something will happen or it will trigger the spectator to think why the magician riffs the deck twice. for me, i like to do it right after i put the upper deck back to the lower one; i rather execute it right away to surprise the spectator that their selected card is appear magically on top of the deck.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
The best way IMHO to do the pass is to spread the card from hand to hand, not dribble, and when they return their card in the middle of the deck, you close the spread but let it be a little "messy". And then in the action of squaring up the cards, you do the pass. It will be a lot more invisible because there are couple of things going on at the same time (aka. divided attention), so that split second moment of packets shifting, will be unnoticed.

Jul 13, 2009
The best way IMHO to do the pass is to spread the card from hand to hand, not dribble, and when they return their card in the middle of the deck, you close the spread but let it be a little "messy". And then in the action of squaring up the cards, you do the pass. It will be a lot more invisible because there are couple of things going on at the same time (aka. divided attention), so that split second moment of packets shifting, will be unnoticed.

Now that is a pretty nice tip. Gotta go try that now and figure out a comfortable way to do this.

Thanks Toby!

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Ok, this is bad... The problem with people referring to magicians as artists, and techniques as forms of art, is that people get the idea, "well... that may work for him, but this way works for me." All that leads to is being lazy and ultimately it becomes your cop out of much needed practice.

The difference between magic and fine arts is that... if your technique sucks, you get busted on it. With fine art, you might still be able to get someone to buy your work, but with magic, if you mess up you mess up and that is the end.

Saying crap like, "well, I will just do it my way, cuz it works for me," is like saying, "I don't want to put in the time to practice to make my technique good."

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Instead of standing perfectly still, try executing the pass as you move your hands / arms towards or away from the audience member. Eye contact is crucial as well. Toby gives some fine points as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results