Control :: New Video & Podcast

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jesus you people are killing me here.

I wasn't even going to buy control but since I hear there is a watch stop, and right now I am looking to routine that with psychokinetic time, I think this may be a good purchase

P.S STILL CONFUSED

D

Deleted member 2755

Wayne said it would be priced along the lines of their other products, The Trilogy is the only thing over $50, so I think its safe to assume anywhere from $19.95 to $44.95, or whatever the going rate for limbs is.

I'd probably say that Control will be 30 dollars if he follows the path of his past products, but then again I don't think any of his past products featured interviews with Dexter, had Garcia teach, and have a full length dvd that is over 2 hours.:rolleyes: We shall see. I'm so pumped for this.

I wonder what the giveaway will be. Considering that it's not like cards, we can't show off our pulse stopping flourish skills for a chance to win Control.:cool: I am very curious what is going to happen.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I cover all of this in EXTREME detail on the DVD, but the bottom line is... it's an illusion. You aren't really stopping your heart (that would hurt) therefore you are not always going to fool a trained medical professional. I say "always" because it is possible, in some cases, to fool a doctor or a nurse when using Control with "Stop" which is DG's heartstop that he teaches on the DVD. In fact, Danny tells a story about fooling a nurse & her boyfriend using Control & Stop... powerful stuff.

But as a general rule, NO you aren't going to be able to walk into a hospital & convince the staff that you're dead. :)

But again - I talk A LOT about this on the DVD - you will understand Control inside & out - you WILL be able to perform this effect in almost ANY situation that you find yourself in. I hope that helps.

Should be interesting performing this for my wife since she is a RN. By no means am I going to measure the success or failure of the effect based on her reaction or instinct after performing it but it would be something I can hopefully mystify her within a performance.

The watch stop you mentioned makes totaly sense as a follow-up to this and really building a story around the entire performance would really push this into a lengthy and entertaining routine. Looking forward to seeing what Danny has come up with in Stop as well. I am sure it will be something creative as always.

I am not much for the serious side of magic or even mentalism for that matter. I enjoy watching it and being a part of that side of magic much more than I do performing it but this one really has me looking over the fence. I am most certainly going to pick this up and give it every ounce of effort to make it a full routine and part of a performance. I think this type of effect can really blur that line between reality and what might be possible. Looking forward to the release =)

--Jim

p.s. Wayne check your e-mail....I dropped you a note there before I realized there was already a thread on it...

Aug 31, 2007
There's something that I have always been curious about this effect. Essentially, I don't think you can present this kind of thing on stage. It's more for a small group kind of thing, am I correct?

However, my most important question is, there is only one spectator who is feeling your pulse slow down, right? I was wondering, how could the reactions from only one spectator be transferred so immensely to the other people who presumable, are just watching the spectator feel your pulse? I mean, they don't see any visual magic happening, Control focuses more on your sense of touch --- however, only one spectator gets to do that. The rest just watch. Wouldn't the rest of the audience perhaps ask if he/she was a "stooge" designed to be part of the trick? I'm not quite sure why they are reacting so strongly.

Please tell me if you don't understand. It's kinda hard to put it into words.

Oh, and please keep in mind, I'm not posting this in a negative way. I am merely asking a curious question. I am definitely buying Control... but not 'til I get some more clarification.

Thanks! :)

Sep 1, 2007
But again - I talk A LOT about this on the DVD - you will understand Control inside & out - you WILL be able to perform this effect in almost ANY situation that you find yourself in. I hope that helps.

No sir, it doesn't help!... :D Just playing, yeah, you answered my question perfectly, so I suppose if I do my other effect and I get skeptics then I should watch what I do from there. In the end is about knowing your audience but I'm glad the dvd you have put together is extensive and will explain all of this. Thanks for responding so quick :)

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
There's something that I have always been curious about this effect. Essentially, I don't think you can present this kind of thing on stage. It's more for a small group kind of thing, am I correct?

However, my most important question is, there is only one spectator who is feeling your pulse slow down, right? I was wondering, how could the reactions from only one spectator be transferred so immensely to the other people who presumable, are just watching the spectator feel your pulse? I mean, they don't see any visual magic happening, Control focuses more on your sense of touch --- however, only one spectator gets to do that. The rest just watch. Wouldn't the rest of the audience perhaps ask if he/she was a "stooge" designed to be part of the trick? I'm not quite sure why they are reacting so strongly.

Oh, and please keep in mind, I'm not posting this in a negative way. I am merely asking a curious question. I am definitely buying Control... but not 'til I get some more clarification.

You could perform this on stage, but stage effects are usually big visual things. This is much more intimate. This would be good for a seance type show. And it's true that only one person can feel it stop, but their reaction usually affects those around them.

David

Sep 1, 2007
What I'm wondering is if I showed it to Penn and Teller, would they yell at me for being a fake?

I have the utmost respect for Penn and Teller--I couldn't stand to be deemed a phony by them...

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Matt,

Since I have seen very little of Control I am going to reference another mentalism effect called PK Touches by Banachek. This is a very intimate performance that is "felt" by one spectator and the other spectator involved acts as somewhat of a voodoo doll for the performer. The audience members watching this are all completely mystified by what just happened and completely blown away at what they just witnessed, yet they were not directly involved. You are essentially using the person feeling the touches and allowing the audience around them to feed on the reactions of the individual directly affected.

Yes it is possible that some will dismiss the spectator involved as a stooge or that they were in on the whole thing. I think it comes down to your presentation and choice of spectator. You have to make it appear as fair as possible to rid the audience of doubt. Let the audience feel off the reaction of the spectator and let the spectator bring everyone else in to experience the emotion of the effect based on their reaction. Let the spectator involved forge that connection with the audience watching without forcing the moment. That is to say, don't muddle the experience with your own words and do anything to detract from that moment.

You could present this as a stage performance but you would need to create the routine in such a way that maximizes the experience. If you happened to catch Guy Bavli on Phenomenon recently where he stopped his heart completely in front of a massive stage and television audience that should be proof enough that a pulse stopping effect can play beyond the confines of a small group.

All of this comes down to presentation and performance in order to convince the audience so hopefully people will put in the time and effort to make this as convincing as possible. I am almost certain Wayne didn't come up with this and bolt out the door to try it on people. He is saving us some legwork but I feel you are still going to have to put in a fair amount of work to make this type of effect as convincing as possible for those around you not directly involved.

--Jim

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Hi i was wondering does this effect only work on your radial pulse? (pulse on your wrist), or does it also work on other pulses?

Also..is this trick 100% impromptu, with no set up and no props?

Nov 8, 2007
Just listen to it on the site, no need for your iPod.
I listen to podcacts in the car on my iPod. I don't like sitting at the computer for long amounts of time, and if I do, I'm doing a lot of writing and can't focus on listening to a podcast.

If it's a "podcast" I should be able to listen to it on my "iPod."

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I listen to podcacts in the car on my iPod. I don't like sitting at the computer for long amounts of time, and if I do, I'm doing a lot of writing and can't focus on listening to a podcast.

It's only like, 5 minutes. But if that's a "long amount of time" for you, then I am of no help.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Exitmat,

Open this link:

http://theory11.cachefly.net/audio/Control_Podcast_One.mp3

In your browser (mine is Firefox) go to File > Save Page as... >

Save the mp3 to your desktop and upload it to your iPod. Voila....you are set.

--Jim

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hi i was wondering does this effect only work on your radial pulse? (pulse on your wrist), or does it also work on other pulses?

Also..is this trick 100% impromptu, with no set up and no props?

I can't wait for this effect!

....l.......l......l..........l........l................l...........l..................l.............................................................

@DLeerium: The trick is 100%, no gimmicks involved, perform me naked impromptu.

@Goodtechs: What's that bumpy thing under your post? Is it supposed to be a heartbeat. Haha.

David

Sep 19, 2007
What if i have fat wrists and i can only feel my pulse for a few seconds anyway?
I also have a heart murmer.

and dont tell me to lose weight! i like my food. you cant take my food. arteries were made to be clogged! jk

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results