Created Effects

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
The point of this thread is to see how different everyone thinks and how different their style and creativity of card magic is .

What trick(s) have YOU created?

Please put the name of the trick in bold, and then a brief describtion below it.

Please and thanks,

-V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sure, I'll play.

I've created loads but my particular faves are...

The freezerburn effects

From my recently released E Book, 'FreezerBurn- The incorporation of ice in magic'. Five effects all revolving round either the production, transformation or sudden change of or to ice. Gebuine ice. That can be popped int oa specs drink safely. Very nice stuff.

DROP

Or, the visual reverse elevator. A card is outjogged face up from the deck, elevator or ambitious riser style. It is placed second from top. However, rather than make it's way to the top, it visually and incrementally sinks through the deck, before the finale... Secret!

UVT

Or 'Ultra Visual Triumph'. The in the hands triumph where you actually see the magic moment- the cards aren't squared together, but jogged out from each other in their face up/face down state. With a wave of the hand, they visually right themselves, all cards shifting to face the same way, except, of course, from the selection!

T+R(ewelded)

The visual T+R tissue. I took what can be a slightly vanilla routine and pumped it up to the point where it's now a visual dream-complete with flashes of fire and a very nice little move!

AppleTastic

A very organic T+R effect- the stork from an apple is yanked off, only to be promptly re attached and handed out! Simple but effective!

Lock

A very cool closer- the deck in use is retired to it's tuck box, and handed to the spectator. With a snap, the deck in it's entirety locks itself into the box!

Openly unpredictable

A prediction effect with a difference. I wanted to add a visual touch to an ordinarily very straightforward effect. Thus I came up with this little number, which is as quirky to perform as it is to watch (ask Dee!)

Some moves I'm fairly proud of, are...

The Bounce Shift
A 'one card pass' type of move. Very nice.

For Dancy
A card control based on the work of Luke Dancy.

Wave Change
Simple but effective colour change.

Cheeky Peek
A very quirky one card peek from the deck.

And, finally, a couple things I'm working on at the moment-

NUMB

The ultimate follow up to any of the FreezerBurn effects- The actual deets are being kept fairly secretive right now, but it's mint!

Candy

Candy is simply a working title, stemming from the fact that this effect is pure eye candy!
It's a coin thru bag effect, but features loads of different penetrations into and out of the bag, which have been painstakingly developed by myself and a good buddy of mine, Pete Harper. This will be available soon!

CL

Oh man, I've made a couple, as in about 50. Most are crap, but I'm proud of a few. I'll just write down 1.
N'itch
A card is selceted and placed on the table face down, the magician then puts attention on his hand, with nothing on it, scratches his hand, and the number of the card appears on it in ink!
When wondering where the suit of the card is, they look at the card on the table and the suit is on the back in the same ink.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Some not very good ones I made up..

Pusillanimus

Simple inversion effect... Not much original stuff but w/e.

A name I can't say here (that's not the name, the actual name is a VERY subtle but vulgar pun of sorts)

A spell to your card trick...

Not very original, I know...

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
Dribble

The cards a dribbled till the spectator says stop - the card he stopped at is placed aside (no dribble force )

The cards are dribbled one more time till the performer stops - the card he stopped at is also placed aside ( no dribble force)

both cards match (two red aces for example)

Faro Triumph
A pretty fair and easy in the hands triumph using benjamin earls faro false shuffle

Card to box (my favourite)

A really simple card to box idea
Love to perform this one

And a few productions , colour changes and table false cuts (still in progress)

@Chr!s: your stuff sounds awesome
especially Drop ( I love the elevator plot)

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
I've got some things. Ooh, ooh, look at my things.

Water to Snow (though I'll probably rename it something catchier).

Simple enough. Borrow a water bottle, give it a few shakes, and with no cover or anything tricky, the water visually changes right in front of everyone, quite literally [I morphing [/I] into snow and expanding, pouring out of the top of the bottle. That's not misleading - the water just magically morphs, and there's no trace of water left afterwards. I can't really take credit for this, since someone else made the gimmick (it's not a magic gimmick, and if you do some creative Googling, you'll probably find this water-to-snow product yourself). Rather, I'm working on the handling for deceptively utilizing the gimmick so it looks like all you do is shake the bottle.

Quarter Prediction

You borrow a quarter from spectator A. From all the other spectators, you ask them to take out any amount of money from their wallets and place it on the table. Afterwards, you point out you made a prediction - not of a number, but of a person. You return to the quarter and note the date: let's just say it's 1963. Counting up the money supplied, it totals out to $19.63 cents exactly.

Both of these are still in the design stage, but both quite practical. True they're not "invented" as of yet, but we're discussing creativity, right?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've got some things. Ooh, ooh, look at my things.

Water to Snow (though I'll probably rename it something catchier).

Simple enough. Borrow a water bottle, give it a few shakes, and with no cover or anything tricky, the water visually changes right in front of everyone, quite literally [I morphing [/I] into snow and expanding, pouring out of the top of the bottle. That's not misleading - the water just magically morphs, and there's no trace of water left afterwards. I can't really take credit for this, since someone else made the gimmick (it's not a magic gimmick, and if you do some creative Googling, you'll probably find this water-to-snow product yourself). Rather, I'm working on the handling for deceptively utilizing the gimmick so it looks like all you do is shake the bottle.

Dude. The water to snow idea has been explored before by a few guys, however, the usual technique has to have the 'gimmick' inside of another gimmick, and to pour some water into the hand whereupon, after blowing on it, it freezes and forms into snow, expanding out of the hand, etc.

However, yeah, with some creative thinking and a nice presentation, you could be onto a bit of a winner, y'know?

CL

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Dude. The water to snow idea has been explored before by a few guys, however, the usual technique has to have the 'gimmick' inside of another gimmick, and to pour some water into the hand whereupon, after blowing on it, it freezes and forms into snow, expanding out of the hand, etc.

However, yeah, with some creative thinking and a nice presentation, you could be onto a bit of a winner, y'know?

CL

I had no idea. I'd love to see these, since I've been focusing mainly on a using a borrowed water bottle (which is cool, because they have a container to take it home with) but I'm fairly certain I see where your description is heading, there.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I had no idea. I'd love to see these, since I've been focusing mainly on a using a borrowed water bottle (which is cool, because they have a container to take it home with) but I'm fairly certain I see where your description is heading, there.

Actually my friend, I was wrong!

It would appear the vid I saw of that particular effect was just a promo for the gimmick, presumably to show just one of the possibilities of the stuff.

Yeah, I have an idea of what you're talking about, I'd say so long as you have a novel and effective way of loading the bottle, you're set!

CL

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
"I don't do coin magic"

A card trick where the word "coin" is written on a card and after several vanishes of the word, literally picking off the coin that becomes real in your hand the word ends up on the spec's card that was on the table the entire time. Inspiration and credits are mostly Jay Sankey. It's mostly the patter that i like this for.

A couple of controls utilising Marlo's Clip Steal. I think its Marlo's anyway...most stuff is for god's sake.

A trick that is in Paul Harris' AOA and i slightly modified it and made a couple extra climaxes. PH's handling uses a card that travels to pockets and back to the deck, eventually with his name ending up on the back of the card. Great trick.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
The Yoyo Transpo

2 contrasting cards are used, one is placed into the card box face-up so everyone can see and the box is left aside in full view. The other card is picked up and placed face-down into the spectators hand, with a magical perverted touch (I'm kidding, it's not perverted) the card becomes the one in the box. When the box is opened, the card inside is slid out with one finger it's already face-up of course and it's the other card - the box is completely empty and at the end everything is examinable. :)

jINx

A very simple coin through drinking glass based on John Kennedy's Flight Deck. A borrowed coin is shown and a deck of cards is introduced, the deck is placed over the mouth of the glass to prevent anything getting in that way, the spectator can look over the top and verify there are no gaps; to enhance this they may plae their hand over the top too. The coin is taken and tapped against the side of the glass... once... twice... three times and pop! The coin visually pops through the glass and lands with a satisfying clink on the bottom, your hands are completely empty and the spectator can tip the coin out. Totally examinable and I'd class as impromptu.

Nom-Nom Triumph

The deck is opened and the two Jokers are placed into the card box, they won't be needed. A card is selected and lost back into the deck, the deck is then shuffled face-up and face-down, at the point of interwovenness (new word, s**t yeah) the deck is held fairly and displayed on both sides, everything is as it should be - copascetic. Everything is pushed flush and the effect so far reviewed. With a kinky wave of the hand (I'm kidding, it's not kinky) the deck is said to have righted itself. When spread, every single card is face-down... Execept for... Two?... The two Jokers... And they're sandwiching one card, the card box is opened and there is nothing to be seen, the card between them is turned over and it is shown to be the selection.

Impulse

This is my favourite one... The deck is shuffled by the spectator and given a cut too, they can check it's a normal deck and can clearly see it's shuffled, at this point you turn your back as you want this to be the fairest thing ever. They cut the deck and look at the card they cut to (this ensures the choice is random and you have not influenced a thought of card), they lose it back into the deck and shuffle it all together until they are satisfied. You turn back around and everything is all on the up and up... Except you have one unfair advantage, you know what their card is ;). No stooges/assistants, gimmicked decks, forces, it is a completely free choice and it is a shuffled deck.

Roots

This is something better done as a 'do a trick' thing if you ask me but the nice thing is it can be done over webcam... the guys in Stickam seemed to like it, especially MagicMan1212 and Insert.Username.Here ;)

The deck is shuffled and cut - everything is fair. The deck is cut for a selection, it is replaced and the deck is shuffled and cut once more - everything is fair. They deal down cards face-up until you ask them to stop... Their card has been dealt down somewhere. You confirm the colour of their card and ask them to keep only that colour. You repeat the process... You confirm the suit of their card. You ask them to spread the remaining cards... With no questions asked and no fishing... You are able to tell them with 100% confidence what their card is. It failed me once... and it was my own fault, I was still able to name their card afterwards however, it just... didn't have the same impact haha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's it I think. :)

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
I have a good amount of material that is in development, but my personal favorite (and take note, this is theoretically possible and I've worked it out, but I don't perform it for obvious reasons) is taking a spectator's cell phone and turning it into a real-live mouse. And then giving the mouse to them and telling them to make a call.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have a good amount of material that is in development, but my personal favorite (and take note, this is theoretically possible and I've worked it out, but I don't perform it for obvious reasons) is taking a spectator's cell phone and turning it into a real-live mouse. And then giving the mouse to them and telling them to make a call.

Presumably this effect could be done with any handheld borrowed object?

sounds cool!

CL

Sep 1, 2007
Presumably this effect could be done with any handheld borrowed object?

sounds cool!

CL

Well, the idea is that once I have the cell phone in the most magical position between my hands, some one calls it and they hear it ring, but then it begins to squeak.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I have a few. I've come up with methods for some other magicians ideas, but since I can only lay claim to the method, I feel it is not my place to post em :p

!Torn

The name is a little programmer humor.

I happen to love TnR's, so I sought out to come up with my own. With !Torn, the spec signs the card, and they tear the card. They even hold the pieces for you while you restore them. The final quarter, the spec holds out, and you touch the 3/4 restored card to it. You let go, and its restored. They can keep the card.

Holy Sandwich

I'm not a big fan of sandwich effects, but I liked the visualness of this one.

Two cards are shown, with holes cut out of the center. You hand these to the spec to hold and to make sure everything is hunky dory. They are set aside, in the specs pocket if they so choose. You then go through the normals of having them pick a card, sign it, and return it to the deck. It gets shuffled, and set aside. You take the two hole cards back from the spec, and hold them so you can see through the hole. With a blow, a card is seen to appear between the cards, visible through the hole. The cards are spread, and the card which has appeared is pulled out. Its their signed card. You can hand everything out to the spec, and as with !Torn, it can be kept.

InDeckspicable

This is a mix of an invisible deck/triumph routine/mentalism effect.

A special deck is shown, extremely fairly, which consists entirely of double backers. The deck is set down, and you have the spec think of a card. They do not write it down, they do not mouth it out. They just think of one. You pick the deck up, and wave your hand over it, causing it to become a normal deck. The cards are spread, and one is shown to be face down. You have the spec name their thought of card, and then slide the face down card out. It matches.

I have some others, but I do not feel like posting them as of right now.

-ThrallMind

Jul 9, 2008
studio city CA
i have a couple of tricks im particularly proud of for developing

my favorite on is a variation on the yigal mesika haunted deck that has a whole new structure and a hell of an ending

but the one im nost proud of is called shotput

the deck is spread in full view and the spectator is allowed to inspect everything, a card is chosen, and signed, then replaced in the deck. i then give the spectator a small toy shotgun and tell them to take aim at the deck. he pulls the trigger the gun makes a small bang and hundreds of tiny peices of card fly out of the deck the deck is then spread AGAIN now all of the cards are riddled with holes while their card stays whole, OR this whole thing is repeated and then when they pull the trigger their card pops out of the barrel like a bang flag

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I've created about 60 effects, many of which I use on a regular basis. Here is a list of some highlights.

The Destiny Effect- www.emagicsupply.com Enough said. Check it out! It's already become a bestseller and is selling more copies in a few weeks than many of the other products have in over a year!

Ripped At The Seam (RATS)- This is a totally impromptu, SIGNED torn and restored card, handled in a very fair manner and, the best part, only uses one card!

Three Course- A three phase Sandwich routine with an extremely unique method and a unique climax.

Sense of Touch- A stupidly simple card utility that has fooled some rather big names in magic like Jay Sankey and Hiawatha (I've kept this one pretty quiet).

The Weakness- A light and heavy style effect with a single coin. No magnets or adhesives either!

The Hiya Split- A black two is visually split, midair, into two black aces with a forceful karate chop.

How Divine: An impromptu Thought-of card across effect... A real worker, I use this one all the time!

IIT: An invisible, one handed flash paper ignition system that will cost you less than a dollar to make.

Negative Image- A double colour changing decks effect with a powerful presentation and ends completely clean... nothing do ditch or hide.

Shuffled by Chance: A gambling demonstration occurs. A deck is shown to be thoroughly shuffled within and it is demonstrated that the deck can be shuffled twice by a gambler and he instantly knows where all of the good cards are. The magician demonstrates this by shuffling the deck twice and claiming to instantly know the locations of the four aces. He proves it by separating the deck into four packets and on top of each packet are all four aces! He even further proves the effectiveness by turning over each packet and showing he also located the four kings! But that’s not all… when the deck is reassembled it is immediately show to be impossibly back in new deck order.

Super Seance: An audio tape is recorded on the spot with a handheld tape recorder. The magician records himself, on a blank tape, asking the spirits present to name a previously selected card. The recording is stopped and the tape is played back. This time, however, you can here a faint voice in the background of the tape whispering the name of the selection!!!!

Climate: The water in a water bottle changes temperature drastically from freezing cold to boiling hot in an instant.

Shake: When at a convenience store, the magician asks someone to choose any can of pop from the freezer they want. Not once do you touch it when you and the spectator purchase it, and leave the store. When the magician and spectator arrive outside, the spectator is instructed to place the can on the ground. The magician stares intently at the can, and afterward, opens the can. When opened, the pop explodes everywhere!

Cold Hard Cash: The magician borrows a coin, and the date is noted by spectators. The coin soon vanishes and appears in a broken sheet of ice in the ground! The magician picks up this sheet, and the coin is really shown to be frozen inside! The ice sheet is broken up, and with no funny moves, the coin is given back to the spectator! The coin could even be marked!

Air Step: My totally impromptu, visually impressive self levitation. Available for free as a PDF download at www.magiczine.com

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Raw- My torn and restored effect

Pinned- My modern take on the moving hole plot.

Isolated- My twist on the card to box.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I have a couple that seem to get quite nice reactions.

S.C.T
Six Card Transpo.
The magician shows three cards, for example the three kings. The spectator sandwiches the kings between their hands. The magician then takes three different cards, three 6s for example. He takes the first 6 and holds it at fingertips (think snap change at fingertips). He pops it behind his back and immediately withdraws it. It is a king. The next 6 is placed behind the opposite arm. Immediately withdrawn. King. Final 6. Waved, in view the whole time. King. All held at fingertips, immediately shown to be only 3 cards completely fairly. The spectator is holding the three 6s.
They then sandwich the 6s between their hands. The kings are held in a fan. With a wave, all three instantly change into 6s. Only three cards again. They are holding the kings. All cards are handed out for inspection, you end clean.

Book out!
A card is selected and signed on the back for authenticity later on. The spectator then sandwiches it in their hands. You then take out a book, preferably a nice thick juicy one;) and claim that you've memorized the entire book. They'll naturally get you to prove it. Riffle through the pages and get them to stop you. Pass them the book and begin to quote the page. Do it again on a different page. And finally on one last page. All 100% correct. Finally, you ask them to read the page number and first sentence of the last page they stopped you on. Tell them to check their (still signed) card between their hands. On the face of their card, scrawled over the pips and number (still their card) is writing, accurately giving the page number and first sentence of their chosen page.

Not Mikes move
A card control, based on Mikes move from disk 1 of the Devil's Picturebook by Derren Brown.

My changey thing, you know, the one where you go like this (that's how I usually refer to it when discussing it with my magician friend).
A card production, vanish or change. You know, basically a colour change. Instant, visual and no clean up necessary. I'm rather partial to this one.

Biddlin' down
My handling of the classic Biddle Trick. Card is selected and signed. It is placed in a packet which is subsequently sandwiched between the spectator's hands (notice a theme?) You display the four aces. Suddenly, their card appears sandwiched between them. You offer to send it back again. Showing their card between the four aces, you dramatically make their card vanish (rubadub). You then show that you're holding just the four aces. The deck (between their hands) is slowly spread by the spectator to reveal one face up card, their signed card.

And that's about it, I think. I've also strung several slights together to make several quite nice 'quickies' for 'show me a trick' moments. None of the tricks above are totally original, and I didn't invent the slights done in any of them, just the handling and routine. I'm rather partial to all these tricks, especially Biddlin' down which has become my specialty. I'm interested to read everyone else's ideas also, in the hope that it will spark some creativity.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results