Created Tricks?

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys I think we need a Created Tricks forum like MJM. Just a thought. For now let's just use this thread to explain our most prized and homemde possesions. I'll start!

2wo: Basically it's a two (haha get it) phase routine. phase one consists of the chosen card reversing itself in the middle of the deck. This uses a sleight I use called the Dodge Spread. phase two consists of the chosen card getting lost in the deck, the Jokers inserted in the deck to find it, and the whole deck turning itself faceup, except for the chosen card which is sandwiched on the top of the deck between the 2 Jokers.

Singe: The spec chooses a card, and the magician removes a different card from the deck. You burn the back of this card with a lighter, and try to wipe away the black stuff on the back. the only bit that comes off spells out the name of the chosen card.

Badabing: The chosen card is lost in the deck, and the deck is handed to the spectator to shuffle. Before the spec can even grab the deck, the chosen card instantly appears outjogged in the deck. This utilizes my middle control. The chosen card is lost in the deck again, and the spectator gets to really shuffle it. When he/she turns to give back the deck, the magician is already spinning the chosen card through the air and on his finger.

F0G- A seriously creepy revelation. An unforced card outlines itself on a window/ mirror when the magician breathes on the window/ mirror.

Remember all of these effects are totally impromptu!

XCM/ Flourishes

Fly Away Cut

I have 2 ace productions: Shock_R and Fiction

so yeah those are my ideas! what have you guys got?

dM

My most recent creation is as follows:

Before the trick, I show an envelope with a baggie inside, inside the baggie is a single card. The back of the card is obviously facing the spectator while I hold the baggie and have them inspect the envelope. The baggie is cleanly placed back inside, and the envelope is held up to light to show the outline of a single card inside. I then have the spectator select a card. After displaying there card and placing it in front of them [plain sight at all times], the baggie is removed from the envelope and the card inside is shown. It isn't the spectator's card! I place the baggie with the card still inside face down besides the spectator's selection, and have them turn over the card they chose earlier. It is the card that was inside the baggie! When they turn over the baggie, it is the card they originally chose!

Everything is 100% examinable. Duplicates are used. A force is used. There are no sleights, but there are a few moves, which are angle proof and easy. This trick works with one of those smaller baggies, not the larger sandwich ones. I will not share the gimmick which I created which makes this trick so effective. I have performed this effect for 5 people so far, and the double climax is fantastic! At the end, the two cards laying in front of the spectator can be picked up, examined, removed from the baggie, etc. The envelope can be examined. There is a single gimmick which I have designed which is very ingenious.

I am generally very modest when it comes to my created effects, but this is something I am extremely proud of.

My most recent creation is as follows:

Before the trick, I show an envelope with a baggie inside, inside the baggie is a single card. The back of the card is obviously facing the spectator while I hold the baggie and have them inspect the envelope. The baggie is cleanly placed back inside, and the envelope is held up to light to show the outline of a single card inside. I then have the spectator select a card. After displaying there card and placing it in front of them [plain sight at all times], the baggie is removed from the envelope and the card inside is shown. It isn't the spectator's card! I place the baggie with the card still inside face down besides the spectator's selection, and have them turn over the card they chose earlier. It is the card that was inside the baggie! When they turn over the baggie, it is the card they originally chose!

Everything is 100% examinable. Duplicates are used. A force is used. There are no sleights, but there are a few moves, which are angle proof and easy. This trick works with one of those smaller baggies, not the larger sandwich ones. I will not share the gimmick which I created which makes this trick so effective. I have performed this effect for 5 people so far, and the double climax is fantastic! At the end, the two cards laying in front of the spectator can be picked up, examined, removed from the baggie, etc. The envelope can be examined. There is a single gimmick which I have designed which is very ingenious.

I am generally very modest when it comes to my created effects, but this is something I am extremely proud of.

Not trying to be rude here but this sounds like Lee Asher's Witness card trick. Look in the trick section. I could be wrong, but it sounds exactly the same.

So what happens now?

Sep 1, 2007
My current project goes as follows:

Short version: an initialled coin vanishes and reappears inside the cardbox, folded inside a banknote.

Long version: A banknote is folded up, placed inside the cardcase and left on the table in full view of the audience. A coin is borrowed (and can be initialled if you're into defacing currency). The spectator is invited to play a game for the note - heads I win, tails you lose. They obviously complain at the odds, so you offer to reverse the situation - heads YOU win, tails I lose. The magician states that now the only way he can win is if neither comes up - and the coin vanishes.

In order to give the spectator their coin back, the magician offers to make change - and removes the note from the box...which seems to have something inside the folds...it is unfolded and the spectator's coin is seen to be inside, initials and all.

I'm finally starting to get comfortable with the sleights (not really a coin worker!), but the presentational angle is giving me some headaches.

Sep 1, 2007
im currently working on a card trick.

A card is selected.

is lost

4 jokers are displayed

each one is layed down

spectator hold the deck

3 jokers 'whisper' an attribute of the card

the last one is turned over to reveal their card.

for the kicker the other 3 are turned over to reveal a 4 of a kind

the deck is spread by the spectator to reveal 4 face up jokers. or an alternate ending is taht there are only 2 jokers like the standard deck

It is not the most visual of tricks but im still working on it ;).

Sep 1, 2007
Katana

A card is selected from the deck, the remainder of which is replaced in the box. The spectator signs the card on the front and the card is also placed in a random point in the box. Everyone sees the card go in before the box is closed. With a powerful karate chop, the magician strikes the box. A moment of silence... and he hands the box to the spectator asking them to remove the deck.

The entire deck has been sliced in half. The edges are still fresh and rough. The only card still in one piece is the signed card.

Alcatraz Coin

Not a new effect, so much as a favorite routine. A half dollar is shown as the story of Alacatraz Island is told. The supposedly isecapable prison. The coin vanishes as if invisibly slipping through the magician's fingers and is reproduced. It passes through his hand into a spectator's palm like the three convincts slipped through the security systems of Alcatraz. And like the three men, it vanishes it into thin air when the magician tosses it up. As he describes how the legend continues today, he mimes catching the coin in his obviously empty right hand. He tosses it over and the coin visually sails through the air from his right to his left and can be handed out for inspection.

Long Distance

A spectator rights a simple message consisting of one or two words on the back of a business card and pockets it. He then points to a person across the room. The spectator and magician both walk over to the person and after a brief introduction, the magician asks the gentleman to check his pocket. Inside is a sealed coin envelope. The magician opens it, revealing one of his business cards. He asks the first spectator to explain to the second what they have been doing, then reveals the same message as written on the first business card is also on the back of the one that was in the envelope.

Red Jack's Hand

A morbid and macabre ending to a color-changing knives routine.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Chosen/signed card is lost in the deck, tossed inside an empty Starbucks cup, lid placed on it. The magician pulls the card through the cup and hands it to the spectator.

Easy enough effect for any magician, but it kills people at Starbucks. :)

Sep 1, 2007
My most recent one is inspired by Witness. It goes like this :

An envelope with a clear side and a blue backed card inside is introduced. The envelope is sealed. This is the prediction card. Which will be used just in case the trick doesnt work. A card is then chosen from the pack, brought to the top of the deck and signed by a spectator. After the card is lost the magician tries to locate it and name it but fails. The magician has to resort to using the prediction card. As the envelope is torn open the spectators signed card is found inside but with a blue back (the rest if the deck is red).

I do know all the sleighs used to accomplish this but I havent perfected them so I wont be performing it any time soon, but its just what im working on right now.

Not trying to be rude here but this sounds like Lee Asher's Witness card trick. Look in the trick section. I could be wrong, but it sounds exactly the same.

So what happens now?

What do you mean what happens now? I have never seen Witness performed. My routine is a culmination of my recent interest in mentalism and my desire to work with ziplock baggies. Reading the product page, I honestly don't think the routines are identical, and am almost positive the method is not. My gimmick and sleights are... the only way I could create to accomplish the trick I had in my head. I don't plan to sell the effect, or even to share it. It's something I use for my performances.

I will definitely buy Witness when mail orders become available.

Witness does not have all of the constraints I've mentioned in my description anyway; I can only perform my effect smoothly with one of the small baggies.

As you research magic history; you'll find that nearly nothing recent is completely original. how many baggie-prediction effects have been performed over the years? I don't mean to come across as overly defensive, but I'd rather you not attack me for having a similar effect as one sold here, when you know the methods of neither.

If the theory11 staff wish, I will definitely share the secret to my creation with them.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Switch:

A spectator chooses a card from the deck and signs it, it is then mixed into the deck and lost, the magician takes another card, signs it, puts it down on the table (Or the specs hand) and then takes the card beneath the magicians card, and says that he is going to make this random card the first signed card. He places it down on the table, and with a magical wave, both cards become the two signed cards?
But where is the "random" card that was displayed seconds ago? It's upside down in the middle of the deck.

Sep 4, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Pip X-ing

The magician rubs the pip under the card's number, and then pulls it about halfway down the side of the card. Once the pip is shown, the magician rubs the pip again, and pulls it off of the card, only to be found on the end of the finger that the magician rubbed the pip with.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
No, there should/ will be no explanations. You shouldn't even ask that. These are our most prized possessions, and if you want to learn the trick you either have to purchase it if it is marketed or just ask the creators themselves. This thread is not about exposure, but about sharing our creativity. Also, this forum is not about exposure. If you didn't know that i suggest you read the forum rules again.
dM

Sep 1, 2007
Dichromacy

This is an effect I recently developed. A spectator selects a card from a red backed deck (For reference only, can be blue backed). The spectator shows the card to any other audience members then is asked to place the card back in the deck anywehere they want, as you hand them the deck. They then shuffle the the deck to their hearts content. Upon receiving the deck back from the spectator, you spread through the deck showing that it is well mixed. Patter is then used to describe several ways magicians find cards lost in decks (Not going to reveal the specific patter). After throwing out some examples, you then in a snap, change the entire deck from a red backed deck to a blue backed deck. Upon spreading through the cards there is only one card turned upside down which happens to still be red, the spectators selection. All of this is 100% examinable. Greatest part about this effect is that the spectator shuffles the deck prior to and has complete control over where the card is placed. Plus it ends clean. :)

Just to mention there are no gimmicks or sleeving involved in this effect. The red backed deck literally changes in a split second to a blue deck. Really destroys people....

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
for the above effect when they shuffle can they look at the backs or do they shuffle face up?

i am just saying some of these are awesome i was wandering how they are done they are your own tricks so if you wish to expose them its your choice

Sep 1, 2007
for the above effect when they shuffle can they look at the backs or do they shuffle face up?

i am just saying some of these are awesome i was wandering how they are done they are your own tricks so if you wish to expose them its your choice

When they shuffle the deck they have complete control over it, so they can shuffle it face up or face down it does not matter.

Paralyzed

You have a spectator [no stooges] come up on stage and have them sit in a chair. I explaine to them what is going to happen and if they dont want to participate, they dont have to. Moments later they begin to feel their body becoming extremely heavy and you can actually see them start to slump down into the chair. Their body becomes so heavy they are not able to move. I ask them to move their arm but they cant. They cant even move their fingers. Some people can talk during this, others cant. And with a snap of your fingers they are able to move again.

Shadows

Created this with my friend cody niederer and he wrote up what im about to put so im giving him the credits for typing this.

The Performer talks of how shadows are really beings of their own. How if you touch something with your shadow, then you can move it just by concentrating hard enough on it. He then calls forward a volunteer who he instructs to sit down in a comfortable armchair. The performer then asks the volunteer to place his arm on the arm of the chair and make himself very relaxed.

The performer then continues on about how shadows can control someone if they are used right. The volunteer then asks if he can see a demonstration, because, he just doesn’t believe him. The Performer then obliges and asks the Spectator(s) to focus on the mans hand. The Performer asks the spectator to concentrate on his hand, and watch as the performers hands shadow moves closer. When the two touch the performer asks if the man can feel anything. The spectators replies “yes, I can feel your shadow rubbing against my arm. Now I can feel it poking me.”

The Flabbergasted (love that word) volunteer is then asked if he wants more proof. He replies in the positive, so the performer obliges. The man is asked to raise his hand off of the chair a few inches. He is told to prepare himself for when the shadow comes across, because this time, it’s going to be very heavy. SO Performer brings his hand over the mans, and he confirms feeling it. Then the Performer is seen to be pressing his shadow down onto the mans hand. The Spectator is then seen to be lowering his hand as if it is being pushed down.

After this amazement, the Performer announces that there is more to come. With his shadow still over the man hand, the performer then asks the man to try and lift his hand. The man invariably cannot lift his hand. The performer then allows the man to be applauded before he asks if he may try something that could be a little scary. The man says that he would love to see, as he finds it hard to top what he has just seen.

At this point in the effect the performer asks the man if he would hold out it arm at arms length. He then talks on about how he want the man to do the exact opposite of what was just done. He wants the man to be very lose, and free with his movements. He then asks the man to shut his eyes, and let’s the audience be the real spectators.

Before the real effect takes place, the Performer patters on about how this time it will be different, he states that his shadow will be making contact with the mans shadow, not his body. After he is done saying this, he takes moves over right in front of the mans shadow. Suddenly, he shoves the shadow, and the man falls down right as the shadows make contact. It seems as if the Performer was right, shadows really are more powerful than we think…much more...

Voodoo

Also created by cody and i. You have someone come up to wherever you are and you explaine to them what is going to happen, that your going to try some voodoo on them. You draw a picture of a voodoo doll on a pad and have the person turn around and to become aware of all their sences. At this point you take the pencil and draw swirls around the legs of the drawing representing ropes. You ask the spectator if they feel anything and sure enough they tell you their legs became tense and they are unable to move them.

You like?:D

The other things i have created are in the general, coin, and card sections.

I have been planning, thinking and creating one effect for a few years. However, to get any further in the creative department, I need someone (preferably an expert) who is great with LED and electronics.

If anybody knows someone who I can be put in touch with, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Tick't :
A fairly simple signed T&R ticket(one you get at a fair), In which you restore the perferated side first by accident.

JAM and Lipstick : Two variatians of an impromptu paperclip through hand/finger, and lip

Card Reveal : A chosen card is inserted in the deck. You show a blank card at the bottom, you turn it over and it turns into their card.

Those are some of mine that I can think of off the top of my head

Wiffle:
Heres my effect Ive been working on for a couple of weeks now.

A card is selected signed and placed back in the middle of the deck. The spectator can shuffle if they want.The magician tries to guess the spectators card 3 times, but is wrong all three. The magician then picks up a wiffleball and lets the spectator examine it. (this can be a BRAND new wiffleball right out of the package). Then the performer tells the spectator that at the same time, the performer is going to throw the wiffleball up in the air and the spectator is going to throw the deck up in the air. The performer shows his hands are empty at all times. 1....,2....,3...., they both go up in the air and land. The spectator picks up the wiffleball, showing their signed card trapped inside.

100% IMPROMPTU
Everything can be borrowed
Anywhere, Anytime

Let me know what you guys think.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results