Creating Magic: A Useful Technique.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Ok, I am here to present to you a very useful technique to making unique presentations for your tricks. It's a very simple exercise which i learned at Tannens Magic Camp and i would like to share it with you. I will try to describe it as simply as I can. Each step will be in a separate paragraph. Keep in mind this is a technique for creating presentations for already existing effects, this wont help you create actual new effects.

To begin, get a piece of lines paper. Fold it in half hamburger style.

One the top half, write down 5 of your hobbies or interests other than magic. This can include sports, other hobbies (stamp collecting, horseback riding, model rocket building, etc.), or any other interests that you have. You can also put common things like listening to music, playing video games, or hanging with friends, etc. Just make sure these things are not magic related. Dont put flourishing or mentalism as a hobby cuz that's not gonna help much.

On the bottom half, write down 5 effects that you perform the most. These have to be effects that you know inside out and can do it without even thinking about it. It's very crucial that you choose effects that you have experience performing. If you're still hesitating during the middle of that trick you're working on, dont write it down.

Here's a sample list:

(Top half)
Basketball
Golf
Psychology
Video Games
Music

(Bottom Half)
Ambitious Card Routine
Ultimate Transpo
Biddle Trick
Coins Across
Crazy Man's Handcuffs

Now here comes the fun part. Cut out 5 small pieces of paper and write your hobbies on them. Cut out another 5 pieces and write down those 5 effects that you perform the most. Turn all the pieces face down and make 2 piles (one for hobbies and one for effects).

Close your eyes. Mix up each of these piles and pull a piece of paper out from each of them.

Now take the hobby that you picked and try to figure out a presentation based on that hobby for the effect that you picked. For example, lets say you picked out Basketball and Coins Across. Try to make a basketball presentation for the Coins Across. Maybe you can say you shoot the coins from one hand to another like basketball or something. It's ok if it's corny, that's the point of this exercise.

If it's too hard to correlate the hobby witht he trick, then put them back and try again. Keep doing this and eventually you will find a combination that works.

Here's my personal example: I did this and got "psychology" as the hobby and "biddle trick" as the trick. So this is my presentation. I have them pick a card, and i talked about different aspects of psychology. I talk about how a person's eye movements can let you predict a lot of things about that person. I lose the card into the deck and spread through the deck slowly, while i analyze his eyes to see if they move differently in reaction to a single card. I lower the odds down to five cards. I count out the five cards, again analyzing his eyes. After i think i know what his card is, i talk about misdirection. I talk about how the main conscious cannot focus on more than one thing at one time. So i point to different places saying that if they look over there, they may not see my hands which gives me time to take your card out of the 5 cards and slip it back into the deck.

BAM! There's a brand new presentation for ya. This method really works, lemme tell ya. The above trick, i did it for my psychology class as part of my presentation, and it absolutely killed (plus, i got an A+).

Using this technique i have made lots of unique presentations for various effects. I'm not saying you HAVE to use this technique, but i encourage all of you to try it out. If you dont like it, then dont use it. But i just wanted to share this all with you because it has helped me alot in creating different presentations effectively.

Also, if you want, you can try to do 10 interests and 10 effects to give the technique more variety. Experiment with this and i'm sure you'll come up with at least one or two good ideas for presentations.

Try it out and lemme know what you think.

Thanks!

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Omgz man! :D grreaat post! Thankz so much dude!

Seriously though, forum members, I encourage you to try this. Richard did a great job with the instructions, and this method works BRILLIANTLY!

Mar 29, 2008
This is great man...but I would like to add one thing. Why leave it up to chance. This goes with some of the other posts I have been talking about recently.

Why not look at the magic effect, as a stand alone concept and try to actually match it with something from our hobbies list.

For example:

Coins and basketball don't relate in premise - because people don't shoot metal.

However, sponge balls could be related to Nerf nets, and you could say you are a defensive player, you are so good you practice stealing the ball from your own hand. You could build off this premise.

Instead of leaving it up to chance, spend some time thinking how different things relate from your list....but AWESOME exercise, great share!

Thanks - hope more people pick up on this great idea.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Wow. As many brainstorming-esk ways I use to try and come up with presentations I've never seen this one. It looks pretty brilliant, if anything it'll get you thinking.

And great addition Morgician, I'm use to having a full list of ideas and then a full list of tricks and seeing how I could routine around an idea with certain tricks.

And, another quick tip, if you want to stay organized and want to routine/work professionally you should keep index cards with each effect you've perfected. You should also time the effects and figure out an average so you can write how long it takes to do it.
Other things you can put on it are what you need to perform. (Deck of cards, stacked deck, sponge balls, coin shell..etc) so you can make sure you have everything when you leave the house.
If you have more than one presentation (same trick in two different routines) write that on there as well and keep separate index cards with full routines (and appx. time lengths) so you can easily put 10, 20, 40 and hour long shows together.

This all comes from The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay, and personal experience that it does help keep you organized and ready.

Ok, I am here to present to you a very useful technique to making unique presentations for your tricks. It's a very simple exercise which i learned at Tannens Magic Camp and i would like to share it with you. I will try to describe it as simply as I can. Each step will be in a separate paragraph. Keep in mind this is a technique for creating presentations for already existing effects, this wont help you create actual new effects.

One the top half, write down 5 of your hobbies or interests other than magic. This can include sports, other hobbies (stamp collecting, horseback riding, model rocket building, etc.), or any other interests that you have. You can also put common things like listening to music, playing video games, or hanging with friends, etc. Just make sure these things are not magic related. Dont put flourishing or mentalism as a hobby cuz that's not gonna help much.

On the bottom half, write down 5 effects that you perform the most. These have to be effects that you know inside out and can do it without even thinking about it. It's very crucial that you choose effects that you have experience performing. If you're still hesitating during the middle of that trick you're working on, dont write it down.

Here's a sample list:

(Top half)
Basketball
Golf
Psychology
Video Games
Music

(Bottom Half)
Ambitious Card Routine
Ultimate Transpo
Biddle Trick
Coins Across
Crazy Man's Handcuffs

Now here comes the fun part. Cut out 5 small pieces of paper and write your hobbies on them. Cut out another 5 pieces and write down those 5 effects that you perform the most. Turn all the pieces face down and make 2 piles (one for hobbies and one for effects).

Close your eyes. Mix up each of these piles and pull a piece of paper out from each of them.

Now take the hobby that you picked and try to figure out a presentation based on that hobby for the effect that you picked. For example, lets say you picked out Basketball and Coins Across. Try to make a basketball presentation for the Coins Across. Maybe you can say you shoot the coins from one hand to another like basketball or something. It's ok if it's corny, that's the point of this exercise.

If it's too hard to correlate the hobby witht he trick, then put them back and try again. Keep doing this and eventually you will find a combination that works.

Here's my personal example: I did this and got "psychology" as the hobby and "biddle trick" as the trick. So this is my presentation. I have them pick a card, and i talked about different aspects of psychology. I talk about how a person's eye movements can let you predict a lot of things about that person. I lose the card into the deck and spread through the deck slowly, while i analyze his eyes to see if they move differently in reaction to a single card. I lower the odds down to five cards. I count out the five cards, again analyzing his eyes. After i think i know what his card is, i talk about misdirection. I talk about how the main conscious cannot focus on more than one thing at one time. So i point to different places saying that if they look over there, they may not see my hands which gives me time to take your card out of the 5 cards and slip it back into the deck.

BAM! There's a brand new presentation for ya. This method really works, lemme tell ya. The above trick, i did it for my psychology class as part of my presentation, and it absolutely killed (plus, i got an A+).

Using this technique i have made lots of unique presentations for various effects. I'm not saying you HAVE to use this technique, but i encourage all of you to try it out. If you dont like it, then dont use it. But i just wanted to share this all with you because it has helped me alot in creating different presentations effectively.

Also, if you want, you can try to do 10 interests and 10 effects to give the technique more variety. Experiment with this and i'm sure you'll come up with at least one or two good ideas for presentations.

Thanks!
pretty freakin neat....i like that.....

Here's a sample list:

(Top half)
Basketball
Golf
Psychology
Video Games
Music

(Bottom Half)
Ambitious Card Routine
Ultimate Transpo
Biddle Trick
Coins Across
Crazy Man's Handcuffs

Thanks!
another thing i would like to add, this is what i do...i try to take these kool stages effect...noticed i said stage effects.....and try to recreate them on the streets....some stuff just can't be done on the streets thats done on stage, unless you are criss angel....anywho, i try to recreate these using street methods, if i'm able to acheive that...that in itself will give you a name...

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
This is great man...but I would like to add one thing. Why leave it up to chance. This goes with some of the other posts I have been talking about recently.

Why not look at the magic effect, as a stand alone concept and try to actually match it with something from our hobbies list.

For example:

Coins and basketball don't relate in premise - because people don't shoot metal.

However, sponge balls could be related to Nerf nets, and you could say you are a defensive player, you are so good you practice stealing the ball from your own hand. You could build off this premise.

Instead of leaving it up to chance, spend some time thinking how different things relate from your list....but AWESOME exercise, great share!

Thanks - hope more people pick up on this great idea.

Yeah, the original way to do it, the way i was taught was to pick out any 2 choices that you think might relate. I just added the random slections thing to get my brain going. Like the coins and basketball thing, of course i'm not gonna come up with a sensible presentation but it will help me be more creative. But anyways, thanks for adding that.

@Sherlock:

I learned this Technique from Tannens Magic Camp. My teacher was Scott Hitchcock, who worked for Criss Angel.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results