Creators pirate their own material - Koscher?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hey Guys,
I was wondering whether or not it is "legal" or what ever the term is for a creator to "pirate" his own material. Not exactly pirate, but lets say he has written a book and decides to send a few copies to his friends without charge or anything. Theres no problems there is there?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There should be no problem with it in almost all situations.

The only exception is when they decide to sell the rights to an effect to a company and/or an other person. Then it would have to be based on the individual contract that is in place regarding to said property.

Nov 3, 2009
writers do that all the time with their books. just dont break distribution and ownership rights laws. at least in the US

May 3, 2008
Well I believe that's okay as long as they're not violating a contract or anything. Also, the reason sites that share things like music were created in the first place was so a friend could post a song or something, send the link to a friend, and they could download it. People just started downloading things that other people uploaded. Then, other people started uploading files for the EVERYONE to download.

Hey Guys,
I was wondering whether or not it is "legal" or what ever the term is for a creator to "pirate" his own material. Not exactly pirate, but lets say he has written a book and decides to send a few copies to his friends without charge or anything. Theres no problems there is there?
the creator never owns rights to an effect...only the DVD published....since he/she owns the rights...they can legally do what they want to do.....

Nov 8, 2007
Hey Guys,

Man... Corporate America seriously has a death grip on us all.

Hey Guys,
seriously i think we tend to remember what words we use...pirate means to steal or duplicate without proper channels....they never do any of that....its theirs which means nothing is really illegal....

D

Deleted member 2755

D ICE R hit it, there's not really anything more to say on the subject.

I usually send out about 50-100 copies of anything new I put out and the police have never come knocking on my door :p

DC

*GASP* DEE! YOU CAN'T PIRATE YOUR OWN MATERIAL! I'm reporting you to the Anti-Piracy From The Creator Foundation! (APFTCF)

And once again, there is a failed attempt at being funny.... *sigh*...

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results