Criss Angels Calls Dynamo a "Copycat"

Sep 2, 2007
London
To be fair, this is likely to make Dynamo more famous in the US than he is already. I would suggest that Criss Angel's a bigger name over there at the moment, so that clip of Dynamo "copying" him (does anyone know what the trick was, by the way?) is probably the first Dynamo performance that a lot of Angel's fans have seen.

In a way, I don't mind this kind of thing happening. This showboating and media mud-slinging puts me in mind of the golden era of the Herrmanns, Kellar, Thurston, and the like. At that time, magicians were some of the biggest stars in the world, and if this sort of fighting helps to put magic in the spotlight it can't be all bad. Also, this argument is founded on the premise that magicians have intellectual property that is worth defending, like any other performance artist, which isn't a bad idea to put into the public's mind.

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
This is proof that Criss Angel is a douche. All he desires is attention and to be the new big magician. Sorry Criss, but that ain't happening if you're disrespectful to other performers like Dynamo. Dynamo is his own person and has his own style. His accusations are as stupid as saying every magician is copying Paul Harris because they do Reset.

Sep 1, 2007
(sigh) More drama. Sadly, Criss Angel and Dynamo do have a lot in common. For example, they're both really boring, overrated, and not nearly as good as they think they are.

Dec 5, 2009
I'm not a huge fan of Dynamo. I'll admit that. I don't think his performance skills are too impressive - he comes across flat as a performer, without much charisma or personality that one would expect in a television celebrity. I respect his success, and I wish him the best. To me, he seems to lack the personality and innate charisma of David Copperfield, David Blaine, or the like. Copperfield knows how to command an audience, to make people laugh - to make people dream. Blaine cultivates a mystique - a very mysterious aura, like a modern day shaman.

I used to have very little respect for Criss Angel. I saw him as magic's equivalent of Snooki, or a WWF entertainer. I can safely say that any iota of respect I once had for him is now completely gone. Did he seriously just antagonize another magician for learning and performing a trick (Sinful by Wayne Houchin) that HE HIMSELF (Criss Angel) marketed and sold an instructional product of, for other magicians? I don't understand the argument at all.

For someone that has stolen, borrowed, or faked as much magic as Criss Angel has, I don't think he is in any position to criticize anyone. I think his time would be better spent working on his own show, which based on recent reviews, is still a horrific embarrassment to the entire magic fraternity.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
No it's more like he's addicted to being in the news. He needs to be in the spot light again and this is a good way to do it even if the accusations are unfounded.

EXACTLY. . . his cocaine driven Ego can't accept that people are tired of him, he's pushed the majority of the big named consultants out of his world because he's a buffoon and the "kiddies" he once appealed to have woken up to the fact that he's actually a 40 something has been.

For someone that has stolen, borrowed, or faked as much magic as Criss Angel has, I don't think he is in any position to criticize anyone. I think his time would be better spent working on his own show, which based on recent reviews, is still a horrific embarrassment to the entire magic fraternity.

How many have seen his commercials for UFO Card +, what seems to be the Steve Fearson Levitation System . . . including a Haunted Pack and finger ring levitation.

I won't be surprised hearing of someone beating the crap out of him someday down the road. Copperfield got decked for less.

Dec 29, 2011
I don't think we can really judge until we know the circumstance of the accusation, even though I don't like Angel, Dynamo isn't that much better.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
To be fair, this is likely to make Dynamo more famous in the US than he is already.
I assumed it was for the reverse of that. Criss isn't very well known in the UK. People mention Dynamo, David Blaine, Tommy Cooper and Paul Daniels all the time at gigs but never know who Criss Angel is. It's my guess that Criss wants some free UK publicity.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I assumed it was for the reverse of that. Criss isn't very well known in the UK. People mention Dynamo, David Blaine, Tommy Cooper and Paul Daniels all the time at gigs but never know who Criss Angel is. It's my guess that Criss wants some free UK publicity.

Good point! If Criss Angel thinks he's got any chance of becoming a big star in the UK, though, I think he's setting himself up for some serious disappointment. In my opinion British popular culture is far too steeped in irony to see a preposterously dressed, middle-aged, semi-talented magician and do anything other than laugh in his face. We don't seem to like people taking themselves too seriously, as even Blaine found out.

j.p

Jul 10, 2012
Birmingham
www.twitter.com
The video did highlight quite a lot of tricks that Criss did on his TV shows and then Dynamo did. But nonetheless I prefer Dynamo. Criss is just looking for attention.

Before I started magic I'd never heard of Criss Angel, but had heard of Blaine, Copperfield, Dynamo etc. So I agree that Criss wants some UK publicity.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
EXACTLY. . . his cocaine driven Ego can't accept that people are tired of him, he's pushed the majority of the big named consultants out of his world because he's a buffoon and the "kiddies" he once appealed to have woken up to the fact that he's actually a 40 something has been.

How many have seen his commercials for UFO Card +, what seems to be the Steve Fearson Levitation System . . . including a Haunted Pack and finger ring levitation.

I won't be surprised hearing of someone beating the crap out of him someday down the road. Copperfield got decked for less.

What do you mean, "Copperfield got decked for less"?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time

Actually Craig, the guy in those Criss Angel commercials isn't Criss Angel. It's just a random dude in a bad wig and hat, and a few bad actors as well.

Feb 4, 2008
Funny...If I accused him of being a copy cat I would accuse him of copying David Blaine. Maybe Chris is looking out for David :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results