Dan Sperry : Card Manipulation 1-on-1!

This is an artform, and an artist's work is never finished.

If there is one statement in the world I would completely, totally, fully, and any other words that describe that, agree with, it is that one.

So yeah, glad to see you here. Oh! Also just wanted to say that your performance with Saw and the lifesaver on stage completely amazed me with the presentation. I loved it!

Anyone that hasn't seen it, check it out: http://media.theory11.com/739-Dan-Sperry-at-The-Magic-Castle

Further thoughts

Glad to see you guys are digging where I'm coming from. There is a certain way of thinking that goes on in a "manipulator's" head that is way different than that of say a close up guy or an illusionist kind of guy. We think differently in the assembly process. There are a lot of friends of mine who have gone through the process of the manipulator's baptism who were at one time primairly close up guys, or card workers, etc and it s cool to watch them evolve. This was kind of the idea when JB and I got together to discuss what we could do together. Something new to offer you guys that's more than just close up stuff stage magic can open up a whole bunch of new doors and even if you don't choose to go into stage magic the ideas and theories and whatnot of a stage magician can be applied to your close up magic or you street magic or whatever you do and help bring it to a new level.

I have to give full credit to my core training as a stage manipulator as a great base to evolve from. Having training as a stage manipulator when I was younger as provided an excellent spring board as I grew as a performer and went and evolved in the direction I've chosen. It is these fundamentals and thinking processes that we wanted to get across but without me just standing there talking about stage magic we felt beginner card manipulations was an excellent vehicle to illustrate some of these thoughts and theories.

I've always believed in sacraficing the WOW factor for more of an artistic ride than a WTF ride. An example would be the Lifesaver routine, most guys would just go out and do it and I've been told by several people I should not take so much time chewing it and that it doesn't make sense to chew it up, then saw into my throat, then pull it back out. I should instead saw into my throat first, then put the lifesaver into my mouth, display it on my tongue or something and make it look like I kind of throw my head back and swallow it whole and immedieatly then saw back out thru my neck with the lifesaver on the floss.

I totally get it, and it makes sense, but I choose not to do it that way because even though the way I perform it maybe drags on for some people in the beginning and maybe it doesn't really make much sense I'm willing to sacrafice that aspect of it for more of an artistic direction and journey. Know what I mean? I want them to remember me and my character, not always necessairly what I did. This same kind of thinking was applied to a friend of mine's version of flash cash where 90% of the flash cash type routines are there are done at waist level - a stage magician friend of my recommended that the money be brought up to chest level. This creates a great picture frame or window for the spectator to not only remember what happened but remember you as well. Plus you can have more people see what happened. So my friend worked on this and changed up the method and it looks great.

I hope that makes sense? Manipulation is about more than just "wow that was a neat card production move" or "wow that guy can produce some huuge one handed fans!"- it is about learning great methods in misdirection, ditching and stealing, etc. Things that even if you don't choose to do card manipulations in the end these lessons in card manipulation will hopefully help your mind to think in different ways with all kinds of magic. Not just doing an awesome double lift but maybe doing that double lift, placing the doup' back in the middle, having them push it into the deck as misdirection to take off your shoe and pull it from behind their ear and as they're soaking that up you do a deck switch. -Try it, seriously you may be surprised. Sorry for the long ramble, just wanted to give a bit more of an idea of where we're going on the video than just hey learn card manipulation!

Danny Boi

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I've always believed in sacraficing the WOW factor for more of an artistic ride than a WTF ride. An example would be the Lifesaver routine, most guys would just go out and do it and I've been told by several people I should not take so much time chewing it and that it doesn't make sense to chew it up, then saw into my throat, then pull it back out. I should instead saw into my throat first, then put the lifesaver into my mouth, display it on my tongue or something and make it look like I kind of throw my head back and swallow it whole and immedieatly then saw back out thru my neck with the lifesaver on the floss.

I totally get it, and it makes sense, but I choose not to do it that way because even though the way I perform it maybe drags on for some people in the beginning and maybe it doesn't really make much sense I'm willing to sacrafice that aspect of it for more of an artistic direction and journey. Know what I mean? I want them to remember me and my character, not always necessairly what I did.
Danny Boi
Interesting insight, thanks for sharing. That explains why you stay in character after the show. Which can be a little annoying for me honestly but I get it.

Its interesting the difference. Because of the character you may be able to get away with a little more . I present myself as me, not a character and by doing so I feel things have to make a little more sense. If I chewed it then pulled it out on the string in my routine everyone would scream "wait, its not the same one because you chewed the other one". I didnt really question that at all when I watched you do it. For instance, I could link one object to another but if it doesnt make sense people go "oh neat, but why?"

By the way. I dont think you need to worry about people forgetting your character or what you did. It kinda gets engraved and doesnt easily go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
?

I was jumping for joy when I heard there was going to be a magic act in my home town. And here is the reason why:

When I started getting into Chess I had no idea where to start. I picked up a few books, plotted through them and started winning games. But, my skills where sharpened the first time I met a master. He told me to start writing down all my games, for the purpose of bringing it to someone (a master) who would know what I'm doing wrong, the things I'm doing right.

And thats why I was excitied to get to meet a full blown Master. The show took over an hour to start. The attitude displayed by the Magician was, in my eyes, I don't really care that I'm here and what you guys think about me. And I guess one of his friends saw me playing around with flourishes before the show and let him know. Because after the first trick the magician said something to the effect "We are going to do some ESP, some other fun little things, but no card tricks, because I don't suck d**k." After the show he gave off an "unapproachable" feeling. So there went my chance to shake the hand of someone and something I'd like to pursue. To find out what I'm doing wrong. To find out what I'm doing right. Whats the next step to take.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I was jumping for joy when I heard there was going to be a magic act in my home town. And here is the reason why:

When I started getting into Chess I had no idea where to start. I picked up a few books, plotted through them and started winning games. But, my skills where sharpened the first time I met a master. He told me to start writing down all my games, for the purpose of bringing it to someone (a master) who would know what I'm doing wrong, the things I'm doing right.

And thats why I was excitied to get to meet a full blown Master. The show took over an hour to start. The attitude displayed by the Magician was, in my eyes, I don't really care that I'm here and what you guys think about me. And I guess one of his friends saw me playing around with flourishes before the show and let him know. Because after the first trick the magician said something to the effect "We are going to do some ESP, some other fun little things, but no card tricks, because I don't suck d**k." After the show he gave off an "unapproachable" feeling. So there went my chance to shake the hand of someone and something I'd like to pursue. To find out what I'm doing wrong. To find out what I'm doing right. Whats the next step to take.

Don't be like him, that's the step number one...
I think there is other magicians you can meet in person, and who can help you, so dont worry...

yep, that was me

yep, that was me, and yes, it was a horrible day. A quick little background about the show - it was free show originally for the cactus tattoo company and the msu art department - this is what i was told at least. I did it free of service 2 hours away from where my mom lives. I literally just flew in - with 1/2 of my show, the other half arrived the next day, thank you northwest airlines - so I had to improvise with ohh about 30 minutes of prep, not even. Then drive 2 hours to the venue. My VSM failed to work, thankfully the people at the what's up were very kind and tried to help as much as they could. We problably spent about another 30 minutes trying to get their sound system to work. My VSM never did end up working correctly. Hence, such a huge delay along with the fact that the people I was originally supposed to be performing for were not showing up, it is hard to start a show on time when the people I was originally suppost to be performing for were not there. I do understand that they opened it up as a free show to the public too and to the patrons of the bar downstairs if they felt compelled to come on up. It wasn't a money maker for anybody - well maybe the bar haha. I did all of this as a favor for a friend, at my own expense and loss when I was to be visiting family before the holiday's. So yeah it sucks when you do a favor and they don't seem to show appreciation then throw on all of the other bumps in the road it was hard to get motivated. I plowed through what I could even though, yep, I forgot to set 2 routines correctly due to stressing over the audio problems before the show, and 2 other routines I've never done before so naturally I had not worked out kinks or anything yet. So, with that said, there is a little glimpse into the life of traveling and doing magic haha.

I'm sorry you didn't like the show and I'm sorry you felt I was unapproachable, but really in the end I wanted to just go home and crash after a full day of traveling and rushing. At the end of the show, most of the people ended up showing up, so I went onto do a few more things in an effort to make up for what was lacking and lost during the formal show (card in mouth, healed and sealed, ivanish, etc). I did it for a small group that was sticking around, I'm assuming you were not part of that group, but I could be wrong.

I honestly would have no problem if you dropped me an email and asked away about anything magic-wise you wanted to know. I got no problem helping people when/where I can and if not pointing you in the right direction -but I get it if not too, no big deal either way. You've found yourself here on T11 and there are plenty of other folks on here that are equally talented and knowledgable in their own right.

Danny Boi

PS....

I actually didn't see you with the cards, I use that line in 99% of all of my "adult" type shows. The full bit is usually "blah blah blah...yep...i'm a magician (usually no response or weak response)...no no dont' worry i'm not one of thoose magicians i'm not gona hit on your girlfriend aand i won't do any f***ing/stupid card tricks...cuzz yeah i don't suck dick or sometimes i'll say cuz i like girls or something to that effect..., it had nothing to do with you. Like I said I didn't see you with the cards and had I seen you with the cards I would have said to myself "cool, magician in the crowd". I really don't care if you had them out or not or if anybody has cards out or not. The thing that I DOOO hate is when you're doing a show and the little kids have their D'Lites blinking in the audience - this happened all the time in WGMS and Viva cuz that's just distracting haha. So yeah totally nothing to do with you at all and I'm sorry that you took it that way and felt like I was pointing you out and I'm sorry you thought I was making fun of you. But, I will say this, just for future reference there are many guys I know who consider it very rude and innapropriate to be playing with cards or practicing before a magic show. Just like you don't go to a concert with your acoustic guitar.

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
my bad...

"But, I will say this, just for future reference there are many guys I know who consider it very rude and innapropriate to be playing with cards or practicing before a magic show. Just like you don't go to a concert with your acoustic guitar."

I completely agree, noted and will never happen again. Magic has become worse then smoking. I seem to always have a deck of cards in my hands. I'm addicated really bad. Um, I didn't say I didnt like the show. It was inspiring. I really liked control by Wayne Houchin. Never thought I'd get to see that in person. After the show I went home pulled out a pen and paper and started breaking down the tricks I know and how I could string them together. I'm trying to put a routine together...but the more I look and think about it...is that even possible to put a "street" magic show together for a birthday party or something? :)

So where is the line drawn for stage magic? I don't think I'm going to ask this right...Looking at the other tricks on the 1on1. I couldn't see how those could be done on stage. How do you make a decision on what you use for tricks on stage? And how in the heck are you back palming "packets" of cards?! How can you fan a few, drop them, pull some more? I've tried to frame step that 1on1 but I can't find the answer. What am I missing?

Enjoying the lovely Minnesota weather?

stage magic: when and where

real quick, about playing with the cards - i understand where you're coming from, its an easy "nervous twitch" we can all fall fictim to. I know I used to play with cards under my desk at school all the time when I was working on like a double lift, or even things like twisting the aces, or even working on crazy man's handkuffs, etc etc. Like I said, I personally don't care because I was once there myself but things like diving board double could be a bit much haha.

The line for "stage" - this is difficult to say. I think it really all comes down to the venue and audience size. In the show you saw me do, I did the Lifesaver routine. I've used this in my college show NACA booth with people 3 feet away from me and in some of the biggest stages in the country with 2500 people in the audience. So this can kind of go both ways because it can play big and be visual. If I were to try to do let's say something like eXile in a situation on a stage it wouldn't work however for a group of people it would work great. But things like card manipulation are reserved for more formal, platform/stage type venues where you are people at a controlled distance.

Another example would have been my VooDoo routine - which didn't make it unfortunately - is much more "prop" oriented. I have a folding chair, voodoo doll, candle and seperate table, a voodoo shunken head rattle, and a fake chicken. Obviously this is a lot of stuff for such an involved routine you would not be doing in a walk around, street, or even trade show type close up setting. This would be for more stage/platform settings because of all these elements.

Last thing off the top of my head is things which can be exposed. Something like the dancing cane you couldn't really do close up because of exposure of the method, but, you could certainly do like a floating bill or loop work to cause a fork or other utencil to move on a table or on a spectator's hand.

Finally real quick too is it is also just a personal choice. I know many close up guys who are amazing in small groups, but they can't be in front of a large group of people because they freeze up by just the shock of it. There is nothing wrong with that at all and I know it can go both directions. I know stage guys who can hide behind the invisible wall of the stage where they dont' really have to interact directly with one or two people like in a close up setting. If anybody reading this and finds that they are one of these examples that's totally natural and there's nothing wrong with that. When I deal with my students I compare it to running. There are runners with fast twitch muscles and there are runners with slow twitch muscles. The first group are excellent sprinters but cannot run long distances well and vice versa. Either way you can be an amazing runner and athlete in your own respective category, it is just whatever comes natural for you and/or what you are most comfortable with.

I hope that answers your question at least a little?

Also I literally learned control like the day before and had never done it, I threw it in there to buy time due to not having some of my material, ie voodoo being one of them, there haha

oh ya' minnesooota eh?

"But, I will say this, just for future reference there are many guys I know who consider it very rude and innapropriate to be playing with cards or practicing before a magic show. Just like you don't go to a concert with your acoustic guitar."

I completely agree, noted and will never happen again. Magic has become worse then smoking. I seem to always have a deck of cards in my hands. I'm addicated really bad. Um, I didn't say I didnt like the show. It was inspiring. I really liked control by Wayne Houchin. Never thought I'd get to see that in person. After the show I went home pulled out a pen and paper and started breaking down the tricks I know and how I could string them together. I'm trying to put a routine together...but the more I look and think about it...is that even possible to put a "street" magic show together for a birthday party or something? :)

- birthday parties are totally different...I can't believe i'm goign to post this here but all you guys are like family so here it goes: www.lasvegaspartymagician.com - yeah that's ****in right that's me what??? Merry Christmas guys, consider this my gift to you

So where is the line drawn for stage magic? I don't think I'm going to ask this right...Looking at the other tricks on the 1on1. I couldn't see how those could be done on stage. How do you make a decision on what you use for tricks on stage? And how in the heck are you back palming "packets" of cards?! How can you fan a few, drop them, pull some more? I've tried to frame step that 1on1 but I can't find the answer. What am I missing?

-you're missing spending the $10 grasshopper haha

Enjoying the lovely Minnesota weather?

- yes, love it! i really miss it, i grew up here in Minnesota before moving to vegas plus my girl is canadian so when we go back home to visit mom and dad i love it even more...

-control is awesome, i never thought it would work and its definetly in the show for good now, i've really been jamming on it since that show coming up with the best motivated presentation for it rather than "hey look what I can do" haha...

Nov 30, 2007
When I was in Las Vegas I was also a bit bummed when everyone was signing the shirt I bought but I couldn't really talk to you. But now it makes complete sense and it is actually really interesting why you did that (to stay in character). But anyways I just wanted to say great job for the magic act you did in Vegas at WGMS...I really liked it!

Even 2nd place might be a bit unrealistic for ya'

-kidding

yeah I usually try to stay in character after the shows and stuff, its like what if you went to a stevie wonder concert and afterwards he's walking around just fine and you come to realize he's not blind haha. -ok, bad example, but you know what I mean. Usually when you go see any show like that all you really have to do is ask. 99.99999% of the time we won't relize you're a magician or realize you want to chat or ask questions or anything like that. You kind of, in a way, have to speak up and although I can't speak for every other magician in the world, I'm willing to bet the majority like myself wouldn't have any problem chatting for a bit afterwards. We've all been there at some point in our career and its all a part of the cycle.

Which is also why I still do kid shows, I honestly love doing them not just because its fun to act like an idiot, do magic, and get paid to behave in such a manner but also because it is worth it - as cliche' (sp?) as this answer may sound - it is worth it to see the kids get into the show and watch them see "MAGIC". We, as magicians, tend to forget what that is like. I don't remember the last time I saw MAGIC. Once we become magicians and become familiar with methods, routines, etc we forget what the old way was like. I kind of compare it to the matrix and we've taken the blue pill...or the red pill...or whichever one takes you into the matrix haha and you can't go back. It might be a lame example, but that's the best way I've found to describe it. So getting to see kids react to magic, even something as simple as producing a dove from a dove pan, something as simple, stupid, and pointless as that and they totally freak over it is an awesome experience because you never know what kid in that crowd is going to go home and get a magic set and might become the next big thing.

yeah I usually try to stay in character after the shows and stuff, its like what if you went to a stevie wonder concert and afterwards he's walking around just fine and you come to realize he's not blind haha. -ok, bad example, but you know what I mean. Usually when you go see any show like that all you really have to do is ask. 99.99999% of the time we won't relize you're a magician or realize you want to chat or ask questions or anything like that. You kind of, in a way, have to speak up and although I can't speak for every other magician in the world, I'm willing to bet the majority like myself wouldn't have any problem chatting for a bit afterwards. We've all been there at some point in our career and its all a part of the cycle.

Just speaking first hand here. After the show here, Dan was in character until he realized I was a magician... then it was more like "Dude!!! Hey man!" haha

I walked up to Kevin James and told him DG said hello... at first he looked at me like "Who the hell is daniel garcia?"... Then suddenly goes, "Oh, tell him I liked the MAGIC cover..."

Sorry, sorry... just have fond memories of that show... haha

Its really amazing to me how open the magic brotherhood really is. For the *most* part there is no hierarchy. Just because one magician may be pro or a hundred times more skilled then myself, they always act like we are equals in the art form, which is so rare to find. While magicians may be a bowl of granola (what isn't fruits and nuts is flakes) we still, even as large as we are, seem to be a brotherhood.

C

Sep 20, 2008
Hello Dan!

i sent you an E-mail, nothing much. i wudnt have thought you'd be as active on the forums so i sent you an e-mail instead.

ive got a few questions though, mainly about your patter, but if you cant answer/choose not to, its allright. just as a heads up and i think your proffessionalism.. (wait, that is a word. yes i just checked. thank you google) sort of shows it. im very entertained even though im watching a video of you and i found myself laughing and such.

Your Pop knot astonishes me. and Lifesaver. =]

thanks guys!

Sinful...email? I'll double check, I get lots so I appreciate your patience in awaiting a response but feel free to ask away here on the forum as there may be somebody with the exact same question you may have too so that way I can easily kill two or more birds with one stone and whatnot...

The pop knot is one of my babies that I love doing when I get a corporate or similar stand up type show, I've been doing it for years, as long as it has been out I think. I love pretty much everything Whit Haydn puts out, I'm a really big fan of his work. I think it is a great 3 phase routine, nothing too fancy in the rope moves, certainly not like tabary or fiber optics, but like I said in prior posts that's ok with me that is does't have all that fancy magical stuff going on as long as it is entertaining. I use the rope routine as an "in-one" routine, a get to know you kind of routine so if it isn't as visually astonishing I'm ok with that and I think the audience is too. Sometimes for me I'd rather sit and jam on patter and put hours into the patter or music for a routine than I would trying to put in learning all kinds of crazy moves wich in the end accomplish the same thing as a more simple move could - if that makes sense? I'm again sacraficing the WOW factor for in this case an entertainment factor. See where I'm going here? anyways enough blah blah on my part...as away kiddies!

-Danny Boi

Sep 20, 2008
Im not a stage sorta guy, and i normally find rope routines (or sponge ball routines) kind of lame, but yours was quite entertaining.

my question is how did you develop such patter? its probably previously answered before, mind if there is an answer to my question already, ignore me and go on with your life. That sounded a bit like a scene from Titanic.

Gorgeous.

Cheers Dan!

haha well i'm glad you liked it, i'm not by any means a writer let alone a comedy writer...some of the material is what is called "stock" lines and others I've had help developing along with friends of mine who are comedians. There are some books out on "one-liners" and other stock joke type things that if you're just getting started are good to look into...

Hey, if you get moment, Dan, got a question thats been on my mind for a while. I think I tried to e-mail you but sent it to the wrong address somehow... Half the time I don't know what my fingers really type...

Anyhow, is the burst of pyro at the beginning of your dove act an available gimmick or is it something you made yourself? If its something you made, no worries, I was just curious as it seems to be this flash from "empty hands" and left clean.

Anyway, sorry for continuing to ask questions and such... haha I may talk to a stage magician once every.... 6 months? Maybe?

Thanks man,
C

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
- yes, love it! i really miss it, i grew up here in Minnesota before moving to vegas plus my girl is canadian so when we go back home to visit mom and dad i love it even more...

-control is awesome, i never thought it would work and its definetly in the show for good now, i've really been jamming on it since that show coming up with the best motivated presentation for it rather than "hey look what I can do" haha...

That website looks EXACTLY the same is Dansperry.com!

I work as a paraprofessional which gives me a great oppurtunity to interact with a wide age group of children. From Preschool all the way to High School.
Its interesting to see how younger kids "except" magic. Then shake their heads after a color change trick and aren't impressed...yea...the card changed, thats what magic is. Doing the same trick for the high schoolers stops them in thier place, makes them shake their head and say "wait, what, do that again." So what kind of tricks do children enjoy?
The only trick I was getting the short attention span of the preschoolers was making a coin (the coin was actually a fischer price muffin...lol? )dissapear by hitting it 3 times with a "wand" (i think i was using a little fischer price spatula) on the 3rd strike the spatula disappears...misderaction...3 more stikes then the coin vanishes...confusion and smiles from all.

So I went to the bar and asked the bartender to make me a 10 dollar grasshopper...he scratched his head, put some stuff in a glass...and after I finished it....I still couldn't pull packets off a back palm...actually I think it was worse. :( what gives?

Ok guys back in business now....

ok the pyro at the beginning of my act is a combination of a siiiiiimple marketed device hardly every used by magicians anymore and a technique I developed a long time ago to modify it ever so slightly. I'm not sure about giving away the method just yet as the only downfall to the device is that it is unpredictable. Even though I set it the exact same way every time pyro is not something that can be 100% consistant. Sometimes the sparks are huge and sometimes they're more of a "puff" or something like that. I've burnt my hand several times with it, singed my shirts to ash, and gotten it in my eyes twice - no fun - sooo for liability I don't want to really give out any details on the gimmick haha for obvious reasons i think haha.

For the kids - depending on the age group you have to make things fast paced, visual, and most importantly ENTERTAINING. Look at Quentin Renold's dvd "5 MINUTES WITH A POCKET HANKERCHIEF". The routine is brilliant as there really is like NO magic in it but he gets 5 minutes out of just entertaining and doing semi-magic tricks for the kids.

Things like mis-made stop light or mis-made flag with a change bag are easy routines to keep the kids entertained with as it is something they can relate to right out of the box and they feel empowered as the continue to tell you that the silks are mis-printed. Then adding in gags like break away wand, spring wand, bongo hat,etc like that will really bring it up to an excellent level for entertaining them.

The "WOW" factor of the trick doesn't necessairly have to be very high in regads to kid shows just as long as they have fun. Another example would be the coloring book magic trick, they're involved thru the entire routine and help make the magic happen. They love that kind of thing. The minute you try to bust ambisious card on them or things like that you can just wave goodbye haha. Hope that helps...

Danny Boi

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results