David Blaine - Drowned Alive?

Oct 14, 2008
I hate to bring up the masked moron, as I know he doesn't deserve mention. But, I do DVR his shows just to see what he has revealed, I think by DVRing it that I don't actually contribute to his ratings because I don't actually watch it when its on, I could be wrong but I don't think so. Anyways, last night he basically said that David Blaine didn't really hold his breath for 17 minutes on Oprah. I'm not going to go into the method for obvious reasons. But, I had been under the impression that he really did hold his breath that long, he was even put in the Guiness Book of World Records. That would be messed up if he had fooled the people at Guiness Book and had taken away the accomplishment of someone who actually had held their breath longer. So, what do you think? Did he or didn't he hold his breath? And if he didn't...do you find this unethical? I'm a fan of Blaine's so please don't turn this into a bash. Thanks

I hate to bring up the masked moron, as I know he doesn't deserve mention. But, I do DVR his shows just to see what he has revealed, I think by DVRing it that I don't actually contribute to his ratings because I don't actually watch it when its on, I could be wrong but I don't think so. Anyways, last night he basically said that David Blaine didn't really hold his breath for 17 minutes on Oprah. I'm not going to go into the method for obvious reasons. But, I had been under the impression that he really did hold his breath that long, he was even put in the Guiness Book of World Records. That would be messed up if he had fooled the people at Guiness Book and had taken away the accomplishment of someone who actually had held their breath longer. So, what do you think? Did he or didn't he hold his breath? And if he didn't...do you find this unethical? I'm a fan of Blaine's so please don't turn this into a bash. Thanks

First of all that's not how ratings are generated. Second of all how are we all supposed to know whether he did it or not? I watched it on a television set. But from what I've heard he did indeed hold his breath that long...

Mitch

Jan 13, 2008
I would just like to note that the announcer on the show also implied that his Frozen in Time stunt was also fake. He (well, the show) kind of lost his credibility right there with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2008
How do you know that all his stunts were genuine? I've heard that they've involved trickery. Also, is anyone going to answer the question? Is it unethical? Do you think that if he cheated that he should have turned down the Guiness Book noteriety? I would like to think that he didn't cheat, however I went back and watched it after I saw the masked moron and I just don't know. It appears to have been legit though. I don't know who or what the masked moron's source is though.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
How do you know that all his stunts were genuine? I've heard that they've involved trickery. Also, is anyone going to answer the question? Is it unethical? Do you think that if he cheated that he should have turned down the Guiness Book noteriety? I would like to think that he didn't cheat, however I went back and watched it after I saw the masked moron and I just don't know. It appears to have been legit though. I don't know who or what the masked moron's source is though.

Where have you heard that there was trickery afoot?

And yes,if he did cheat or anyone at any guiness record,he should turn down the title. Its kind of a must.

Oct 14, 2008
"Where have you heard that there was trickery afoot?"

I don't recall, most likely a forum, I think it was on the cafe. Also the masked moron implyed it, but I've heard before that there was trickery in Above the Below and Frozen in Time.

Oct 14, 2008
If the masked moron is now casting doubt on accomplishments that were achieved without trickery than he is reaching a new low. People (not very many) will see that and believe that Blaine did use trickery, and if he actually didn't than that is a shame. I hope the masked moron is off TV sooner than later.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
"Where have you heard that there was trickery afoot?"

I don't recall, most likely a forum, I think it was on the cafe. Also the masked moron implyed it, but I've heard before that there was trickery in Above the Below and Frozen in Time.

I wouldnt trust people on the magic cafe to tell me whats on next week.
Dont go to forums for THAT kind of info.
People have always thought of ways to disprove of endurance artists and coming up with ridiculous explanations at times.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Read his book and he explains how he does his stunts. With hard work, endurance, and discipline.
Well said Shane. One thing that is undisputed about David is how genuine, honest, and humble of a person he actually is. To claim he uses trickery in his 'endurance stunts' is ludicrous. Wouldn't take much endurance, would it?

To my knowledge, Guinness records operate under test conditions.

D

Deleted member 2755

I don't think David would use trickery to accomplish an endurance stunt to take a real record away from someone who actually DID the record rather than fake it. If I found out David ever actually did use trickery, then I wouldn't watch another one of his specials. If he were SAYING he was doing an illusion to accomplish a certain task and wasn't getting put into the books as a real record breaker, then that's another story.

I don't think David used tricks.

-Doug

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
This topic made me think of what my Weathering Professor said during one of his classes last semester.

He told the class that he likes David Blaine, but then he decided to tell the class how David did "Frozen in Time" when he was in the block of ice . . . Well the way that he thought it was done.
I really couldn't say much because I wasn't sure and didn't want to get into an argument that I didn't know much about.

It's a little depressing how he thought David was cheating and announced it to the class nonetheless. Especially since he was really freezing in that sheet of ice for our entertainment.

May 31, 2008
jesus christ

I remember getting into a fight with my uncle about david blaine. He told me how david blaine was a showman. Therefore he MAY have cheated with his stunt. I was infurirated.

Laymen oversimplifiy things. They think magicians are these deceitful cheats with fast hands...

I'm pissed to learn that the masked magician would defamate David Blaine and fuel people like my uncle's ignorant fire.
I would think that the Guiness World Records would have rigid standards, which would anticipate trickery and the like? They don't go around giving a world record to a guy with a video camera claiming they broke the world record, do they?

Well said Shane. One thing that is undisputed about David is how genuine, honest, and humble of a person he actually is. To claim he uses trickery in his 'endurance stunts' is ludicrous. Wouldn't take much endurance, would it?

To my knowledge, Guinness records operate under test conditions.

You the ironic thing is I just finished reading his book yesterday morning for the forth time. It's one of my favorites and it never gets old it inspires me everyday. For those of you who haven't read this book get it it wiil be one of the smartest purchases you've made. He speaks of his trip to Saint Tropez by invite from Jeffrey Steiner to perform at his sons bar mitzvah in his early beginnings that changed the way he viewed success and magic all together. I couldn't imagine someone like David discracing himself by cheating. I spoke with Danny G one day about what he thought about meeting David and his answer was quite surprising. Danny told me that David is the same as he is on TV in many ways. His tone somewhat similair but his drive is everything he claims it to be.

Danny mentioned going out to eat with David one day and after the meal Danny tried to put money on the table and David slid the money back and he said " What are you doing?" and Danny said " I'm paying the bill", Davids reply was " Why....these people have money". David picked the check up and wouldn't allow Danny to pay the bill. He mentions David is very laid back, generous, and has a real sense of morality to him with concern to you as a person. This doesn't sound like a two bit street hustler to me. Anyhow I respect the man and everything he's contributed to the art we all love.

D

Deleted member 2755

You the ironic thing is I just finished reading his book yesterday morning for the forth time. It's one of my favorites and it never gets old it inspires me everyday. For those of you who haven't read this book get it it wiil be one of the smartest purchases you've made. He speaks of his trip to Saint Tropez by invite from Jeffrey Steiner to perform at his sons bar mitzvah in his early beginnings that changed the way he viewed success and magic all together. I couldn't imagine someone like David discracing himself by cheating. I spoke with Danny G one day about what he thought about meeting David and his answer was quite surprising. Danny told me that David is the same as he is on TV in many ways. His tone somewhat similair but his drive is everything he claims it to be.

Danny mentioned going out to eat with David one day and after the meal Danny tried to put money on the table and David slid the money back and he said " What are you doing?" and Danny said " I'm paying the bill", Davids reply was " Why....these people have money". David picked the check up and wouldn't allow Danny to pay the bill. He mentions David is very laid back, generous, and has a real sense of morality to him with concern to you as a person. This doesn't sound like a two bit street hustler to me. Anyhow I respect the man and everything he's contributed to the art we all love.

I'm about half way through that book. I had to put it down recently because of all of the mounting school work, but I hope to finish it very soon finally. VERY inspiring. Love that book.

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results