David Blaine - Drowned Alive?

Don't ask for others opinions unless you are certain you can handle what they say. A lesson Mr. Henderson of this forum I'm sure would agree with.

Blaine probably did hold his breath. However I'll bet he was also put on pure O2 for a good period of time prior to the stunt. Is that cheating? Probably, but I doubt it quallifies to be unethical.

I hate to bring up the masked moron, as I know he doesn't deserve mention. But, I do DVR his shows just to see what he has revealed, I think by DVRing it that I don't actually contribute to his ratings because I don't actually watch it when its on, I could be wrong but I don't think so. Anyways, last night he basically said that David Blaine didn't really hold his breath for 17 minutes on Oprah. I'm not going to go into the method for obvious reasons. But, I had been under the impression that he really did hold his breath that long, he was even put in the Guiness Book of World Records. That would be messed up if he had fooled the people at Guiness Book and had taken away the accomplishment of someone who actually had held their breath longer. So, what do you think? Did he or didn't he hold his breath? And if he didn't...do you find this unethical? I'm a fan of Blaine's so please don't turn this into a bash. Thanks

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The record he has is for O2 assisted breathe-holding, he didn't make it long enough for the non-assisted record.

Dec 18, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yes, he held his breath for that long. No question. Guiness doesn't mess around, and I'm sure they took additional steps with Blaine being that he is a professional magician. The masked magician is a joke. Probably the worst magician I've ever seen on TV. He reveals because he can't perform. And he lies because he's hiding behind a mask.

Kirby

- Yes he was on O2 before the breath hold. There are 2 types. Non O2, which he did in the original airing of Drowned Alive. And a breath hold with the aid of O2, which he did on Oprah.

I hate to bring up the masked moron, as I know he doesn't deserve mention. But, I do DVR his shows just to see what he has revealed, I think by DVRing it that I don't actually contribute to his ratings because I don't actually watch it when its on, I could be wrong but I don't think so. Anyways, last night he basically said that David Blaine didn't really hold his breath for 17 minutes on Oprah. I'm not going to go into the method for obvious reasons. But, I had been under the impression that he really did hold his breath that long, he was even put in the Guiness Book of World Records. That would be messed up if he had fooled the people at Guiness Book and had taken away the accomplishment of someone who actually had held their breath longer. So, what do you think? Did he or didn't he hold his breath? And if he didn't...do you find this unethical? I'm a fan of Blaine's so please don't turn this into a bash. Thanks
i don't think none of his stunts were real, the difference from he and Angel is that Blaine gives the impression to all that its real...and Angel later reveals his stuff isn't real...so no....none of we we do is real.....actually....i like his street magic and not really caught up in his big stunts...

Yes, he held his breath for that long. No question. Guiness doesn't mess around, and I'm sure they took additional steps with Blaine being that he is a professional magician. The masked magician is a joke. Probably the worst magician I've ever seen on TV. He reveals because he can't perform. And he lies because he's hiding behind a mask.

Kirby

- Yes he was on O2 before the breath hold. There are 2 types. Non O2, which he did in the original airing of Drowned Alive. And a breath hold with the aid of O2, which he did on Oprah.
as much as peopel hate the masked magician, he's a damn good performer....c'mon i went to an actual val valentino show and he's pretty good....

And you've come to this realization by what exactly?
its real to a certain extint, but c'mon we overanalyze and overhype some of what we do...its our nature....just like wrestlers...sure they're physical and they get hurt doing what they do...but its really a well plan/practiced stunt, and sometimes it goes wrong....same goes with what the we do....i'm a magician, not God......i'm a magician, not Superman or some super human x-men type of mutant....but our perception and attempts are real...but what we truly do isn't 100 percent real..there's always a catch..c'mon don't confuse the guy that actually asked the question...

i don't think none of his stunts were real, the difference from he and Angel is that Blaine gives the impression to all that its real...and Angel later reveals his stuff isn't real...so no....none of we we do is real.....actually....i like his street magic and not really caught up in his big stunts...

I agree. "Simple fools the magician".

I don't like his stunts either because that is not magic it reall is an endurance test, which has nothing to do with magic. I don't care if he can hold his breath I just want to see the magic and, to tell the truth I just think he does the stunts just to get more attention, and views for his t.v. special.

its real to a certain extint, but c'mon we overanalyze and overhype some of what we do...its our nature....just like wrestlers...sure they're physical and they get hurt doing what they do...but its really a well plan/practiced stunt, and sometimes it goes wrong....same goes with what the we do....i'm a magician, not God......i'm a magician, not Superman or some super human x-men type of mutant....but our perception and attempts are real...but what we truly do isn't 100 percent real..there's always a catch..c'mon don't confuse the guy that actually asked the question...

Agree again.

Many of us have to realize that us humans are only capable of certain things and like Cedric said we are not God, and none of us do not have any powers. He gave a great example of the wrestlers, which is so true. WWE puts on a great show but it's all scripted but young kids don't know that. The point is just because you see someone do something, and they tell you or others tell you their doing something dosen't mak it real or right. Remember "simple fools the magician".

-T.J.

Dec 30, 2008
I agree. "Simple fools the magician".

I don't like his stunts either because that is not magic it reall is an endurance test, which has nothing to do with magic. I don't care if he can hold his breath I just want to see the magic and, to tell the truth I just think he does the stunts just to get more attention, and views for his t.v. special.

Perhaps he wants an paycheck. So he doesn't have to live on the streets.

He isn't doing the T.V. special for you Chauncy. Other people like his endurance performances, including me. So unless your opinion trumps others opinions he'll keep doing his endurance performances. Also ther is NOTHING wrong with wanting more veiws for your T.V. special! Thats sort of the point! It's business buddy! Where's Steerpike when you need him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Blaine does these stunts for himself and his fans. He uses these stunts to push himself past his own limits. It shows his work ethic and him as a person not as a show munger trying to get attention. It saddens me to see your perceptions of David cause I know you don't get his intentions. Read his book and get back to this thread and lets see if your opinions different otherwise your making your decision on this matter off exactly the worth you put into it.

Nothing.

Actually Blaine does these stunts for himself and his fans. He uses these stunts to push himself past his own limits. It shows his work ethic and him as a person not as a show munger trying to get attention. It saddens me to see your perceptions of David cause I know you don't get his intentions. Read his book and get back to this thread and lets see if your opinions different otherwise your making your decision on this matter off exactly the worth you put into it.

Nothing.

I have actually alreday read his book six times and I still stand by words. I personally do not care for his physical endurance, I just care about the magic and to me when his first special came out back in the 90's it was pure magic and now he seems to move away from that. Penn Jillett From Penn and Teller
actually said the same thing I said about how his stunts takes away from magic on one of his radio broadcasts.

-T.J.

Does it even matter what Blaine does? Or any other magician for that point?

Is it really affecting your act that badly that you've got to hold such strong opinions?

Seriously, how many TV specials have you done in this past year? How about the past 5 years? If that's the angle Blaine wants to play for his act in order to make a buck the that decission is souly for him to make, and possibly his managmemt.

You should focus more attention to what YOU could be doing with your act to be more successful than worrying about what some other guy is doing.

Seriously peeple, are you a magician or are you a fan boy?

Does it even matter what Blaine does? Or any other magician for that point?

Is it really affecting your act that badly that you've got to hold such strong opinions?

Seriously, how many TV specials have you done in this past year? How about the past 5 years? If that's the angle Blaine wants to play for his act in order to make a buck the that decission is souly for him to make, and possibly his managmemt.

You should focus more attention to what YOU could be doing with your act to be more successful than worrying about what some other guy is doing.

Seriously peeple, are you a magician or are you a fan boy?

I was just giving my opinion which I can make freely. How many t.v. specials have you done by the way? Do not question me on t.v. specials when you yourself have not done any and you are not known yourself. Masta Ace asked what do we think and so I gave my response so hop off.

-T.J.

I was just giving my opinion which I can make freely. How many t.v. specials have you done by the way? Do not question me on t.v. specials when you yourself have not done any and you are not known yourself. Masta Ace asked what do we think and so I gave my response so hop off.

-T.J.

Masters of Illusion: 5 appearences 4 have aired 1 to come.

1 movie appearance (all be it deleted scene) Good Time Charlie productions: Charlie Wilsons War with Tom Hanks.

Do you want to blindly attack any more of credentials?

Drop the attitude with me sir, unlike the bulk of what posts here I know a little about what I speak of.

You are free to post your opinions, I just posted mine. I'm sorry I made you feel insecure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't see what's so wrong with David Blaine doing his endurance stunts. People wouldn't watch his specials if all he did was a bunch of close up effects. That's just something that's not TV worthy. It's also why Masters of Illusion only has like small little shots of close up stuff and a lot of big stage illusions.

Another thing is that there is nothing wrong with him trying to better himself, Physically and mentally.

also these stunts were done before he was on TV. David Copperfield would do one or two stunts like that in many of his specials. Hell I think he collapsed from lack of sleep during his Tornado of Fire stunt.

I do agree that the last special was kind of lame. Tho the ending was mainly due to Bush's speech and things that Blaine had no control over.

M

Mystifier1

I only watch his special's for the magic and not the stunt.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
For T.V. specials there has to be something BIG. These stunts,much like houdini's days,get people talking and intrigued. A full show dedicated to close-up on T.V. is never gonna cut it.
For the spectators that are witnessing it live its amazing,but the same effect isnt going to be for the people watching it at home.
Duh.

Blaine held his breath. The masked magician is a moron.
Thanks Black Magi.......

I know a lot of us hate the things Valentino has done, giving away secrets is gonna continue to make enemies....however, i've seen some of his performances, he does quite a good job...

wether he was lying or not, he has given away old secrets, stuff i continue to see done in a lot of independent magic forums and websites.....so if you are gonna hate him...hate a lot of other magicians.....

his attempt to bring young audiences into magic has worked, wether we like it or not...however i think there could have been a better method....what i do get is why people hate him so much...i've seen hundreds of magicians, giving away secrets for money...and getting away with it....he's merely doing it for free....maybe Valentino isn't the culprit here....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results