Do the Bucks have good magic?

Do the Buck twins create good magic effects?

• Yes

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Some good and some not so good

Votes: 75 44.1%

• Total voters
May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I think that their flourishes are better than their tricks.

Oh. That's very interesting.

Would you care to expand on this? Why? I'm sorry, but there's no point making a point if you don't explain it. It doesn't really contribute much, I'm afraid, and people will disregard your opinion if they can't see where this opinion comes from.

Jan 18, 2009
Thanks Zeedub that kinda helped me out a little bit. I hate to be the oddball out sometimes and be bashed about something that's my opinion although it seems to be shared.

The problem for me is that if they take their effects and condense them to simpler moves and still show some of the flashiness then there are some gems in there. Hoffzy is a real trick because it incorporates phases and a ending while the sandwich and transpos they do are just endings to something that took five minutes because there was so much stuff going on. Deja Vu is what I liked the most but I find that the change from the second card to the first sandwich is to unconvincing and not wondering how did he do that and instead saying when did that get there.

Maybe the Bucks will read this and help them create some real magic instead of eye candy magic like visualartist stated. Either way, if they keep up the flourishing and still work in those nice sleights then they will contribute more than many magicians or artists ever have.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Some people love it, some don't. I personally love watching their stuff. It's incredible. However, it is nothing I can ever see myself performing. I am a huge fan of the Buck's flourishing though. Hope to purchase disk 2 of the Trilogy in the future.

D

Deleted member 2755

Honestly, I don't really think that this should be a thread to begin with as its sole purpose is to judge two magicians. So I won't be voting. I will say my opinion though. Their flourishes are awesome and overall I do like their style a lot, but only to a certain extent. While their style isn't like mine at all, I still like it. I think they take it a bit far and I honestly think magicians would find their magic more entertaining than a layman. I think their material is AWESOME as far as sleights go. Their performance style I think is pretty cool too. However, like I said, only to a certain extent. I think they take their no patter style too far. I also think sometimes their magic can be a bit too complicated for someone to comprehend. I remember watching Hedbergs Peak for the first time and I had to watch it 2 or 3 times to know what I even just witnessed. I think they are sometimes too fast and could use at least a little bit of patter. Of course, that's just my opinion.

-Doug

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
Are there any videos of D&D doing magic live? Just curious to see what their tricks look like when they perform the live, rather than on the dvds.

Also, to point out something....I was showing some of the dvd previews to a friend of mine the other day. Her first opinion was that everything looked really cool from D&D. However, when I showed a preview video of d+M she said this:

"I think, If I were to have them perform for me, I would be more suspicious of the twins. They have such an elegant style that makes me not trust them as much as the other guy."

She is a layman. Keep that in mind.

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
I borrowed the Trilogy from a friend of mine and was very excited because I have been trying to learn impromptu card tricks rather than gimmicked ones like Alpha Deck or election, anything along those lines. Anyways, even as I stare at the Bucks flawless card work I have this feeling that these tricks are just flashy.

They aren't very spectacular tricks, quite a bit of sandwhich effects and transpos, the good ones are card to hand and mouth and hoffzy ozbourne imo. I practice the tricks constantly and while I can perform them very well the reactions from people are simple and somewhat dulled. If you take away the flash then very little is left with the actual trick, and I realllly wanted this not to be, a simple flash of movements that produces some sort of trick. Maybe it's just me. The angles are very sensitive also it seems but misdirection helps.

The teaching on the tricks was subpar also, they went over the easiest things several several times and more of the advanced once or possibly twice which irked me a bit when I was trying to follow along. "To spin the card put your fingers........." and this was said about six times which was so simple then the next move which was very difficult was told once then just quickly repeated.

The flourishes were very good and I am learning nearly all of them. The teaching is about the same but it's a w/e kind of thing.

So while this may have seemed like a review I am just discussing some things that I noticed and was wondering if anybody else had these issues. To clear things up I can perform all tricks except for Queens very well with very little issue, So anybody else see this, or am I just whining about something?

I f you want to learn an amazing piece of magic that hit's for me every time, pick up AoA by PH, Las Vegas Leapers is the trick, and it sure is a great one!

Nov 8, 2008
U.S.
I tend to 'de-fla****ize' their magic so that it fits my style. However, there are some better effects out there. I went with the third option.

Jan 18, 2009
Honestly, I don't really think that this should be a thread to begin with as its sole purpose is to judge two magicians. So I won't be voting. I will say my opinion though. Their flourishes are awesome and overall I do like their style a lot, but only to a certain extent. While their style isn't like mine at all, I still like it. I think they take it a bit far and I honestly think magicians would find their magic more entertaining than a layman. I think their material is AWESOME as far as sleights go. Their performance style I think is pretty cool too. However, like I said, only to a certain extent. I think they take their no patter style too far. I also think sometimes their magic can be a bit too complicated for someone to comprehend. I remember watching Hedbergs Peak for the first time and I had to watch it 2 or 3 times to know what I even just witnessed. I think they are sometimes too fast and could use at least a little bit of patter. Of course, that's just my opinion.

-Doug

I am not necessarily judging the magicians themselves but what effects they have created. Maybe you could put those two in the same category but I couldn't care less how much of a performer they were but just wondering if anybody actually did any tricks by them or if anybody thought it was pure fancy dancy magic. Also, I agree about Hedbergs, six times because I thought that I was just having a brainfart each and every time I watched it but then I got it.

Also just pointing out no one should really know if they have good magic you aren't the buck twins nor do you know what they know. I am just stating after rereading the title of this thread.

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
the bucks magic are very technical its very visual and flashy "eye candies" but to layman they just dont get most of whats going on....

neco

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
No one has really answered the question that I had. I think it would solve some peoples issues on them. Does anyone have any footage of the tricks being performed for a live audience? Either by D&D or by yourself? From my own experience perofming them I have got mixed reactions. For some people the pacing of the trick is too fast so they can't really grasp what is going on (or they are to flashy). But occationaly I will find a layman that will be able to catch what is going on and be blown away when the crescendo (if you will) is reached. I would still like to see the bucks and how they perform their own tricks live and not always on a dvd.

Jan 18, 2009
To answer the question, I have not seen them perform any real magic. I do not have any footage but it's the same as yours, some people get it and some don't, but I usually use a quick flourish to get them up to speed and it kinda helps. Send them a private or public message asking for some real time vids.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
You're forgetting the System and a bunch of other stuff they've come out with. Their magic may be flashy, but they do stress that that's their brand. (read the booklet in the Trilogy.) they point out that they don't expect you to go out and perform these tricks, but to take away sleights, ideas and their finesse with a deck of cards and add that to your routines. It's a source of ideas. You want a convincing double you'll find it in those DVDs. You want a good dribble control, its in there. How you apply those to your individual routines is down to you as a performer. Could Dan and Dave perform just about any trick? Sure, they've got all of the sleights, but that's not their style. Their style has made them recognized the world over for what it is. For you however you need to find a way of taking that style and making it your own, or the aspects of that style that you like.

The magic community doesn't need a bunch of Dan and Dave clones, RD is absolutely right. Take what you like from what they offer. The double in Portal has a thousand applications beyond Portal for instance.

So yeah they do have great magic. But I don't think it's repeatable by anyone else that hasn't spent 10 years with a deck of cards in their hands, lol, but you can take aspects of that magic and add it to your established routines and you'll have something special.

I personally don't want to take any one source as my entire inspiration. I want to draw from many sources. Aaron Fisher's no nonsense magic, which is just straight down the line, and not flash, to D+M's ridiculous stage persona, to David Blaine's scarey face, to Wayne Houdin's demeaner when he's performing. You wouldn't try and emulate any one of them, but you may take things from them and add them, make them yours when you are performing them.

This is an unfair question basically. We are -not- in a position to judge D&Ds magic, because I don't think most here have seen them perform live. Their instructional DVDs are just that, instructional, so you can take what you like and leave the rest, but still have a DVD of some great performances.

the man is right.

Jan 28, 2009
We've all had reactions like that at some point or another. The guy clearly didn't get the trick. I performed panic (obviously not a D&D trick) for one guy and he was like...."yeah that was kinda neat" I performed it for someone else and they ran away from me and then came back being like..."how the hell, how the hell did that just happen."

It just depends on the person. Some guy that barely speaks English and didn't seem to get the trick not reacting isn't documentary proof that Tivo 2.0 is a bad trick. I've had good reactions to it and I don't perform it anywhere near as well as in that video, lol.

So yeah......I mean really, when you perform their tricks, what reactions do -you- get. That's all that should really concern you as a magician. Some people also don't react! I mean some people internally are made happy by seeing magic but don't scream and yell when they see something. It's an entertainment art. Do you entertain people when you perform these tricks? If so keep doing them, if not, don't, lol, but you can't judge a trick by one guys reactions.

For the record I'm not some D&D fan boy either, lol. I don't go home and watch five hours of the trilogy and learn all their tricks. I like more conventional magic personally, less flash more length, but when in a nightclub, or a loud environment, where patter and a complex trick is impossible due to music volume, I'll smash out one of there's.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
We've all had reactions like that at some point or another. The guy clearly didn't get the trick. I performed panic (obviously not a D&D trick) for one guy and he was like...."yeah that was kinda neat" I performed it for someone else and they ran away from me and then came back being like..."how the hell, how the hell did that just happen."

It just depends on the person. Some guy that barely speaks English and didn't seem to get the trick not reacting isn't documentary proof that Tivo 2.0 is a bad trick. I've had good reactions to it and I don't perform it anywhere near as well as in that video, lol.

So yeah......I mean really, when you perform their tricks, what reactions do -you- get. That's all that should really concern you as a magician. Some people also don't react! I mean some people internally are made happy by seeing magic but don't scream and yell when they see something. It's an entertainment art. Do you entertain people when you perform these tricks? If so keep doing them, if not, don't, lol, but you can't judge a trick by one guys reactions.

For the record I'm not some D&D fan boy either, lol. I don't go home and watch five hours of the trilogy and learn all their tricks. I like more conventional magic personally, less flash more length, but when in a nightclub, or a loud environment, where patter and a complex trick is impossible due to music volume, I'll smash out one of there's.

I agree with you, but do you have a better grasp of how a trick works if you see a live performance of it or just a studio dvd of it? I love that D&D let us, the viewers, create our own ways to perform their tricks. However, I also think that watching them perform live gives me a better grasp on the way the trick should be done in a 'street' type scenario (or maybe just a different interpretation of the moves). Lets be honest, most of the stuff we perform are for an audience. I didn't spend months perfecting a trick so I could do it in front of a camera in my basement. I mean if you like to do that, go right ahead...but for me, and I'll steal this right from Oz Pearlman...I was born to perform.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results