Doing magic while being under the influence?

Jul 19, 2008
so here's the thing, have you ever performed magic for anyone while you were drunk? or tried to perform magic to the intoxicated?

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I tend to perform quite well under the influence. Not ugly turning beautiful extremely drunk, but on the "tipsy happy" side of being drunk, you tend to feel less pressure and open up more. And also, to be quite honest, if your spectators are also at the same level of intoxication, you really play off their emotions and actions quite naturally, making the performance flow quite well. Also, small mistakes go unnoticed.

HOWEVER: the danger of this is that your sleights must be extremely refined. You should not be performing push off DLs if you have not been doing them for ages, and you should not be trying sleights that you just started to practice. Keep to the simple sleights as your hand coordination does drop a bit.

Try it, you will be surprised.

Jan 13, 2008
Yes. I performed during a small gathering of friends (and one person I didn't know). We were extremely intoxicated...and it was at this point that my very drunk self thought it would be a good idea to bust out the cards.

I ended up performing a transposition-type effect (select a card from one deck, it ends up inside of another, sealed deck (cellophane and everything) of another colour), of my own method.

It actually went quite well. ...well, I suppose that depends on how you'd define "quite well." I didn't flash (at least, they didn't catch me if I did), and my friends were quite amazed. However, the dude I didn't know...his reaction...well...I'm not sure if he actually believes in magic, or what, but he was amazed to the point where he was pretty much scared. "No way...no F'ing way...you didn't...what the F. No...no..." as he dropped the deck of cards and left. He literally left the house, shaking as he quickly put his shoes on, and did not come back (it was around 1am, so I hope he was okay... o_O).

And, of course, I haven't heard from the guy since (which makes sense--I only knew him through a friend of my girlfriend).

That was the only time I ever performed while intoxicated, or to anyone who was (aside from family). That reaction scared me to the point where I didn't want to perform while intoxicated, or to anyone who was...that reaction was just way beyond crazy/scary.

Feb 28, 2008
I've seen drunken magic before from someone I think of a pretty bad performer... needless to say, it wasn't pretty.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
Drunk... but I don't know how I did...

Uhm.. i remember it was difficult to do exactly what i wanted to do but i got through it....

yeah

ZG

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
hahhaa, yes! all the time!

Sometimes I remember it, sometimes I don't. It's all good.

About a week ago I went to the local kebab shop and only had £2 on me and pizza was £5.50, so I dribbled to the kebab man "wanna see some magicks?!" he said yes in some language. Anyway, did Jacobs Ladder by Garcia and got the pizza for free. I know Danny will be proud of this haha!

It is key to know though, that I practice practice practice and perform more sober, so I have full confidence to perform drunk as hell and not screw up.

Cheers,

Lloyd

Jan 13, 2008
I ruined a new deck of Tally's by performing while drunk. The entire deck ended up in a glass of liquid cocaine.
A glass of liquid cocaine? Those are supposed to be done as shots, heh. o_O

Edit: ...unless you're mixing it in a glass, and pouring out shots of it. Yeah, that makes more sense, I'll read it that way, heh. :)

Also: That sucks about it being a new deck. :(

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
na. we don't take shots of that stuff. We mix it into the glass and drink as is. They were making for me because I was already gone. I have a live performance of me dipping the cards into the glass and saying I can make them vanish... covering it with a cloth and whipping the cloth off while spilling the glass and being pissed that the cards didn't vanish.

Jan 13, 2008
na. we don't take shots of that stuff. We mix it into the glass and drink as is. They were making for me because I was already gone. I have a live performance of me dipping the cards into the glass and saying I can make them vanish... covering it with a cloth and whipping the cloth off while spilling the glass and being pissed that the cards didn't vanish.
Hehe, that sounds like an awesome performance. Submit to the Media section, perhaps? ;)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
At paid gigs...never. This is a big no no.

When it is just friends or hanging out at a bar...then i will perform with a few beers in me. Enough to get in the zone and feel good and relaxed. As said before....when others are drinking too it helps ease any tension and people look over any failed effect very easily and don't care as much.

I've tried when completely drunk and I can't remember crucial steps / sleights while attempting....ha ha.

Aug 4, 2009
performing while drunk, yes, but I try to keep it simple.. automatic card reveal, burnt card, svengali routine, 2CM, that kind of thing. I've massacred jumping geminis a few times.. I only do that sober now. I've learned my lesson.

performing for drunks, all the time. I work in a bar. It's great. I did the 2CM to this middle-aged drunk lady (aces and queens), and she was arguing with me as to which suit of ace was on top. I had to tell her three times to turn the cards over and she almost fell off the bar stool when she finally did.

If you haven't performed to a drunk person, go find one right now. It's hilarious.

Jul 19, 2008
I've massacred jumping geminis a few times.. I only do that sober now. I've learned my lesson.

me too, my dls sucks when i'm tipsy but so as my spectators' eyes too. hahah............................................................... would never do it again.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results