Dominatricks by Tyler Wilson

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Dominatricks by Tyler Wilson

The Official Spam-

Dominatricks is a magic book that drips with style. It's hard-backed, innovation-stacked and action-packed with 150 pages of material Tyler Wilson counts on night after night to transform deafening laughter into stunned silence. You can build a professional close-up / walk-around act on these routines. Tyler Wilson did. Nothing is left out: you get the full handlings, presentations, jokes and tips reaped from thousands of real world performances.

Here is a scant sampling of material that will soon jump from the pages of Dominatricks, into your repertoire:

Scarred Warp: many have said that this is the only genuine improvement to Roy Walton's Card Warp to date. See what happens when Tyler Wilson asks the intriguing question, "What's happening inside the card tunnel while the folded card is passing through it?" His answer will shock you.

B52 Shooter: your audience will never look at you the same way again. This is hands down the most visual Triumph routine ever created. Within minutes of learning, face up cards will start rapidly shooting out of the mishmashed deck in a flurry of motion ... with one hand.

Coke Inhabit: Coin In Bottle has never been so sweet. The bottle is given away with the coin still sealed inside as a keepsake. Note: There's a big twist to this routine that we're keeping a surprise until you read the book, or get fooled badly seeing it done live by someone who did. It's your choice.

Stick it to the Man: you love the strong mentalism but don't have the receding hairline required to pull it off? Don't fret, with Dominatricks Tyler Wilson tips a fresh new plot guaranteed to elicit just as many gasps as laughs.

Sloppy 30 Seconds: David Acer calls this "Tyler Wilson's brain-busting card transposition" and you'll soon see why. A card in your hand transposes with a card that is placed face up on the floor. Real original thinking!

* Includes 20 professional close-up magic routines and sleights.
* Includes a CD containing a performance video, bonus material and more.
* Foreword by David Acer.

The Book-

Busting Chops-

Rub and Tug-

Everybody loves the Rub-a-Dub Vanish... well, most of us. But what would you say if we could do it face up? Welcome to the Rub and Tug... the world's first (I think) face up Rub a Dub Vanish. I can't get it right, and it's difficult because I have small hands, and just like the original, the mechanics are fairly easy; it's all in the timing.

Pitching a Tent Vanish-

If you know the Biddle Trick, and don't like the spectators not being able to see the card before you vanish it, you need to modify it with this! It is a face up Tent Vanish, and it's one of my favorite sleights of all time. If you want to see a video of it, go to the Penguin Theatre and watch my version of the Biddle Trick. It's very natural, and extremely deceptive.

Tyler Insults Tilt's Totally Inexplicable Elegance and Simplicity-

This section is comprised of various Tilts created by Tyler. They are all great, so let's get into them! Oh, and for you newer magicians reading this, the Tilt is where you cleanly and fairly into the pack, and then immediately show it back on top. Sound awesome? It is.

Tuning-

The card is inserted into the deck until about a quarter is sticking out, then pulled back halfway out, and the spectator is allowed to push it in all the way. This is good, but as Tyler explains, you should only use it when the location of the card in the deck is essential to the effect. Great Tilt Variation.

Tokyo-

Used in his effect later in the book entitled "Release the Chocolate Hostage", this is an ok variation of the Tilt, but I can't see myself using it other than "Release the Chocolate Hostage". Half of the deck is held (in one hand) at a 30-45 degree angle to the other. The card is inserted "between" the packets, and seen coming out the open space after the angle of the top packet... if that makes any sense at all. It's good, but only at certain times.

Bored of Ostentatious Tilts Yet?

This is a simply beautiful version of the Tilt, where, as you take the card back from the spectator to put it back into the pack, the audience catches a glimpse of the back of the pack, which has a large break in the middle. You put the card apparently into the gap that they just saw, and miraculously, it's back on the top! I love this, and I can see me using this a lot. Awesome work Tyler!

Hasselhofzinser-

Despite the silly name, this is an absolutely great force, where you spread the cards, have a spectator touch one, you square it up, and turn over the card they touched... the force card. If you get the book, make sure you watch this on the CD. It does it with a different colored card, and it's simply amazing. Great force, even though I'm still getting the hang of it.

Gag Reflex-

We all know the oldest gag in the book... fanning the cards, having a spectator touch one, and as they reach for the deck, one card pops out from under the fan and into their fingers. Well, this uses that very gag, and you still force the card on them. It's ok, but I can't really see myself using it anytime soon. I know a lot of people will like it, but it's just ok for me.

Displayboy-

This is simply a way of displaying an out-jogged selected card from the middle of the pack. It's very elegant, and I'll definitely use this once I get it down. It's very simple, but to get it to look really nice, it takes a bit of work.

Jared Millican (Bravesaint) Performing Displayboy

Routine Examination-

These are the routines, and I'm not going to go indepth on them, because I think I should leave it to you guys that buy the book. But let me tell you, they're all superb. That being said, I'm just going to give the descriptions written in the book. Some are long, some are short, but this is not me writing, I'm just typing it so you guys can see what they're like.

Compost It-

Veronica selects and signs a card before it's lost in the deck. The magician pulls out a pad of Post-it-Notes, writes "Top" on one of them and asks Veronica to add her initials to it. He explains that since it says "Top" and has her initials, sticking the note to the top card should cause it to become her card. He demonstrates this principle a few times, increasing the impossibility every time. He states that the Post-it-Note controls everything, so the only way to make it stop is to write an "S" in front of "Top", literally making it say "Stop". To cement this fact, the deck starts slowly disappearing right in front of Veronica's eyes until the only card left is her selection. The magician has no choice but to"Stop".

I love this, and I cannot wait to use it once I get my hands on some Post-it-Notes of the right size. It's pretty simple, and I already know all the sleights used. The deck vanishing is "iffy" in my opinion, and not very angle proof, IMO. But I have a feeling anyone who gets this book will love this... as well as everything else in it. :p

Release the Chocolate Hostage-

Veronica selects a card (Four of Hears) and puts graffiti in the shape of her initials, on the face of it. A random card is shown (Three of Hearts) and the pips are repeatedly plucked off it and thrown into the air. The first pip turns the card into the Two of Hearts and the second removed pip turns it into the Ace of Hears. The incredibly skilled magician proceeds to catch both pips on the signed selection. With the two added pips, the Four of Hearts is now shown to be the Six of Hearts, with Veronica's initials still on it!

Wow... this effect is awesome. I've been practicing it a lot, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. The only real hard part is the Tokyo, and it's not too incredibly difficult. Elliottcarver filmed a video of him performing this and sent it to me... it made me want the book even more. This is great.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Dirty Stinkin' Ape in the Middle-

If Ferris Bueller were to perform a sandwich routine, this would it.

This is a pretty good sandwich effect, and it's fairly simple. It doesn't interest me much, but it's pretty good for all you "sandwich lovers" out there. :wink:

Clean Sanchez-

Two selections are lost in a very clean manner, only to be found exactly where they're supposed to be.

Meh. I don't like this very well, but then again, I haven't really tried it out. Like many of the effects in this book, it's a love it or hate it thing. Well, I guess not. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't hate it, either. Anyway...

B52 Shooter-

The magician realizes that Veronica is pretty cool, so he decides to let her in on a secret he's been holding back for some time. He's really only half man... and half love machine, baby! Althoug, he admits that what he really loves, is to sort cards. So that just makes him a card sorting machine.

To demonstrate his love, he has a card selected, remembered, and lost in the deck. He then shuffles half the cards face up into half the cards face down in an extremely fair manner. The magician gets excited with such a mess and states that he's going to sort them by finding each individual face up card in the entire deck and shoo them out, all while doing a shuffle with one hand.

In a flurry of motion, face up cards start shooting out of the deck and across the table during the one-handed shuffle. After the dust settles, the magician confesses to Veronica that he lied to her earlier. It turns out that he's only four-ninths man, four-ninths love machine, and one-night cheeky S.O.B. because he didn't shoot every face up card out of the deck... he left one in. He spreads the cards to show one card face up in the face down deck; Veronica's selection.

So here's the deal... this effect is totally awesome, but it's rather knacky... at least it has been for me. I've been practicing off and on for about a month, and I can still only get it about three times out of ten. However, if you get this... it looks great. I also have some good news... it doesn't require a one-handed shuffle. That's just there to make you sound more impressive.

Coke Inhabit-

The classic Coin in Bottle trick took a wrong left turn somewhere.

I'm not going to spoil this one for you, but let's just say you're going to love it. If you're ready to break away from the mold with Coin in Bottles... this is for you. The only problem I've had is finding the right size of bottles... you'll know what I mean when you get it.

Matrimoney-

Celebrity Death Match between Coins Across and Ring Flight. Who will win? You!

Meh. That's all I have to say about it. Coin lovers will really like it, but as we all probably know, I'm a card guy. So I probably will never use this. Once again... meh.

Stick it to the Man-

The magician offers to play a game with Betty and brings out a card case labeled "Predict This". He claims the rules are simple; Betty simply has to predict what's inside the box. She guesses a deck of cards to which she is proven not only wrong, but nowhere even close, as the magician removes Post-it-Notes from within. Magician- 1 Betty- 0

He insists that this was just the preliminary round and doesn't really count and tells Betty she should get ready to play hard in the next match. The magician proceeds to write different body parts on the Post-it-Notes, sticking them to the appropriate areas on his body. One each for "Head, "Left Hand", "Right Hand", and the fairly obvious "Six Pack".

The magician tells Betty that her job is to rearrange them so they're all mixed up. She goes to town, peeling of the sticky notes and switching them with each other until she's satisfied. Assume the "Head" ends up on the abdomen, the "Left Hand" ends up on the right hand, the "Six Pack" ens up on the left hand, and the "Right Hand" finishes on the head, no forces.

With Betty's job done in this game of "Predict This", the magician states that his job was to predict this; everything that has happened so far. He reveals that the card case not only housed the sticky notes, but one card as well. Betty pulls it out to show a drawing of a man on it. The man is a little disfigured however, as it turns out his head is in his abdomen, his left hand is where his right hand is supposed to be, his left arm has a six pack attached where the hand should be and there's a large right hand resting on his neck. Everything perfectly matches with Betty's rearrangement.

Hmm. I'm kind of split on this one. I'm not exactly thrilled with a spectator groping all over my body, but I feel it can be a very powerful effect. It requires a bit of preparation, but once it's done, it's done for good. It will also require a tiny bit of memorization, but that's it. Pretty neat, and I like his process of elimination. Nice.

Paul Masse's Trick-

Larry Jenning's meets Crayola.

I haven't delved into this one yet... so let's leave it a mystery. :eek:

Scarred Warp-

The magician admits to Veronica that he's not as invincible as he looks: he's actually afraid of Queens and Threes. He musters up the courage to demonstrate why they're so frightening and proceeds to remove a Queen and a Three to fold them in half. He inserts the lengthwise folded Queen inside the widthwise folded Three so one end is sticking out. The magician claims that the part which scares him the most is right at the entry point between the two cards. He claims the only way to see what happens at that point is to push the Queen through the Three so it comes out the other side. Upon doing this, the Queen emerges from the other side, flipped over!

The Queen is pushed through again to flip it back over, returning to the starting position. He tells Veronica that even though the one point on the card scares him, there's a different point on the card which actually terrifies him, and points to the middle of the Three. The only way to demonstrate what happens at that point is to rip a hold right out of the midsection of the card. Now when the Queen is pushed through the Three, nothing is visible through the hole! Nothing. The Queen is pushed back and forth a few more times, emerging out the other end of the Three flipped over, but with absolutely nothing in the middle.

The magician can't take anymore of the terror and decides to rip the cards in half, right through the middle. Before handing the pieces to Veronica, he uses them to make a memento for her to keep and remind her of the unique experience she just shared. Wow, that sounds pretty sappy.

Not much comment. You'll have to do a lot of preparation, which I don't like much. But, it seems like a pretty strong effect. We'll see how it goes...

Sven Who?

The magician places a prediction off to one side and asks Betty to select a card (e.g. King of Clubs). The prediction is triumphantly revealed to say "Not red." The magician admits to cheating and shows every card in the deck to be black. He waves his hand over the deck to turn every card red as he mentions how much more impressive the odds would have been in this case. With another wave, the deck is shown to be completely normal, made of red and black cards. To conclude, the magician proves just how accurate the prediction really was by showing the King of Clubs to be the only blue backed card in the entire red backed deck. It truly was the only card which was "Not red!"

No comment.

Sloppy 30 Seconds-

The magician accidentally drops the Queen of Hearts on the ground as he's shuffling. "Don't worry," he jokes, "We use the 30 second rule here. I guess that means we only have 27.5 seconds to finish this trick." With haste, the magician spreads the deck towards Veronica and says, "Alright, you can have any card you like... well... obviously except for the Quueen of Hearts.

Assuming Veronica picks the Nine of Spades, the magician explains, "On the count of three, the Nine of Spades will be the only card face up in the entire face down deck." Before the magician even gets to "Three!", the deck visually turns face up! He states, "Uh oh, I think we just broke the 30 second rule. Do you know what this means? Everything gets reversed. All the cards are now face up... except one!"

The magician claims, "I'm serious, EVERYTHING gets reversed. Check it out, now you're wearing my underwear! I'm just kidding," he says, "I don't wear underwear." The magician proves the reversed situation by removing the face down card and showing it to be the one card that couldn't have been picked, the Queen of Hearts! Veronica's eyes dart towards the floor to see the Nine of Spades staring her in the face.

Most of you can probably figure this one out. I did upon reading the description, but I never would have thought of this on my own. It takes guts to perform, but if you can do it, you'll get amazing results. I can't make the "gaff" (yes, there's a gaff), so I'll have to buy one. Anyone that owns this book and might have some tips for me for making this prop... please PM me with some info!

Final Thoughts Before Hitting "Submit"-

I absolutely love this book, and I want to give a shout-out to Elliottcarver and Magikrn (Penguin users) for recommending it to me! It was worth every penny, and I can't wait to get out there and use some of the material. Three thumbs up... great job, Mr. Wilson!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
ok, I don't know how I screwed that up, but the author is Tyler Wilson. Jeez, that was a dumb mistake. Mods... please? :D

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It's no problem. Yeah, I've bought a lot of stuff, but I'm really trying to slow down and only buying a few things per year. I've got other things I'd like to spend my money on, too.

Sep 1, 2007
Florida.
I loved this book, I got it a couple weeks after the release awhile back, and loved it ever since.

BTW: Paul Masse's trick is an Invisible Palm effect, using different colored backs for the Aces. AKA Blue Deck + Red backed Aces

Feb 14, 2008
New Engalnd
wow that's jammed packed, but i don't like books much after my experience with Complete Course in Magic. Although that book got me thinking and i learned alot of stuff from it. Great book, just i'm not a book person.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Just some food for thought... how do you think the magicians learned when the internet and DVDs didn't exist? From books! That's how the majority of the greats we know and love today learned. So I think it's a matter of acting spoiled or not. Books are great, and I don't think there's anybdy that can argue they aren't. Now, if you have a learing disorder or something that physicall prevents you from learning from books, I think that's fine, but just saying you don't like them is a little strange.

But yeah, this is a great book. Once again, Mods... please edit the title! I'm beggin you!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results