Double One Hand Card Fan

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Why learn the Carnahan fan when it can be easily confused with the flipback fan and twin indices fans.

I agree on some of the other points, but this isn't quite correct in my opinion. The starting position and getting-into of the Carnahan varies significantly from the Flipback fan or Indicies fans, thus allowing the execution of the Carnahan to take place from positions or circumstances that the other moves probably wouldn't allow. Also, the twin-fan move using the Carnahan has more impact than the twin-fan move using a Flipback fan instead.

-Vince

Sep 12, 2007
all this indicates to me is that you don't own the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes (or the companion DVDs) or if you do, then you ignored them.

Hey Trash..have you ever seen UEZ's fan's??? Or his other stuff???? LOL
Jerry has personally commented on the quality of UEZ's material so that statement was way off.

but sometimes there is no prize in extra effort when AUDIENCES aren't going to reward you for that. That's what it really should come down to. .

That's really the point that alot of people miss (including myself at first) but it's great to set the bar high I guess. That's the difference between our perspective and the audience's...this goes for magic and card whippin'.

Edit: Something else just came to me, training these extremely difficult knuckle busting moves does have it's place, those are the kinds of things you would use in battles and tournaments that were being judged by other XCMer's. We as a community would immediately recognize the difficulty in that move and judge accordingly. So yeah, I guess it comes down to....do you want to perform for fat lazy internet guys that are probably watching your video in their underwear or do you want to perform for live audiences?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinnie C.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, who cares if the audience can't tell the difference between two given moves? If you want to learn them both, do it! This art is as much for your enjoyment as it is for the audience's.

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
If I could rep you I would Vinnie.

I could honestly care less whether or not an audience member is going to be excited about my move. if I cared about that i would just do a hotshot cut and a card spring.

the thing that attracted me to card manipulation was the extremely high level of technical difficulty. for me, the more challenging it is, the more fun it is. If I can do something easily, I get bored with it and have to move on to something else... this has been the bane of all my hobbies :D

so because I like XCM so much, I have decided to set the bar super-high, who knows, I may *never* attain the level of perfection I'm shooting for, and that would be AWESOME, because then I would always be having fun.

great discussion here :) UEZ, I didn't know you were a BAMFWC, my apologies for assuming you didn't have the EoPCF and all that. I personally disagree even with a lot of stuff Jerry says about what you should and shouldn't do for audiences, because they won't be able to tell the difference. for example, in the descriptions of a lot of moves he says it's okay to just learn them one-handed, because audiences won't care if you can do it ambi-decks-trously. I think if you can only do a move in one hand then you're only half good at it! :D

Looking at your own self achievement that's something that can go WAY WAY beyond discussion and can get extremely complicated and like I said it's your own bar and standards so if can differ greatly from others but I like to speak generally. HOWEVER, I do stress the importance of audience appreciated moves because it seems the majority of the community still spends the least amount of time on impact moves. Hopefully in a year or two we can see more overhead springs and double armspreads but by then some genius kid is going to come around and set another higher bar juggling 5 playing cards of some crap that'll make me sad....:(

Vinnie C.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If you perform for audiences, then of course you should learn audience-pleasing moves, but you should also learn the moves that you like. When you're happy, you give a good performance. :)

Personally, I learn every single move I can get my hands on. :)

-Vince

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results