Drunk Performance! Let them Imagine.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
WARNING! LONG BUT INTERESTING READ AHEAD :p.

Hey whats up? It's been a while since I have posted here :), And that's because I haven't performed that much magic or practiced at all until yesterday.

I performed kinda intoxicated :3, it wasn't that bad, but for example some of the tricks got messed up like the biddle trick, wich I had to repeat like 3 times.

The thing, I don't care that much for the single effects, I don't improvise, but I don't have a routine of 6 tricks to do "In the spot". I used to have one, but when I perform, my goal is the overall experience, what they are going to be thinking about me and the effects when I'm not there anymore. That is the thing that I actually have prepared.

So to give a little example, I'l tell you guys what happened yesterday, about my "tactic" to have a really good overall impression and the feeling that something "mystic and magical" maybe something even "evil" was going on.

I went to this little partay yesterday, I went with a friend and over there I meet another friend, they were all drinking and singing and what not outside, so I joined the fun :3. My firend asked us to accompany her to the bathroom and we went with her, now the bathroom is like at the end of a kinda stretch hallway, so I thought to myself like "Okay this is where I plant the seeds for the later performance".

My friends were kinda intoxicated by now, and when my friend came out of the bathroom, I indirectly started a conversation about magic with them (With indirectly I mean making them believe that they brought the topic up), and we began talking about criss angel, about how he levitates and about the feeling thet they had about him being kinda evil.

That's where I took the opportunity, became all serious and I said to them " Okay, I'm going to do something for you guys but just this once" and with a lot of showmanship I did a balducci levitation right there in the corridor.

They freaked out, they went out of the house running screaming and they came back a second later (The people outside where like "WTF happened?") When they came back I was like "You know what? be like it never happened, and don't tell people about this". Of course they are women, I went to the bathroom, but I was listening all their chitti chat about how I "levitated" and things like that. The people became curious and went to where I was to perform something for them.

I performed a couple of things and I ended with a super showmanship injected stigmata (Well not that "injected" but I like how things turned up and how they reacted to that trick and how they relationate it with the levitation this two girls were talking about)

The thing is, they were freaked out for the rest of night, Im serious, one of them came and asked me to talk to me in private, and began to ask me if the things that I did was from the devil and things like that. And when people asked me "how do you that?"; I talk a lot and I'm kinda funny, so that's why turning out of nothing all serious and being like "please, don't ask me those things" makes them feel that something weird or paranormal is going on.

IMPORTANT LESSON FROM ALL OF THIS :://

Give your spectators room for imagination, you don't have to give them ALL the answers, just plant the seeds and the little tips to their head that something mystical or magical is going behind the scenes and they all will think about it witouth you telling them.

Use their imagination to your advantage :D.

P.S Im editing a couple of videos that some of the girls shooted at the party, so I'm uploading a couple of perfomances laterz.

Thanks for reading.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Agreed. I enjoy performing for spectators who have just started to have a few and have the "buzz" going. Enough that everyone is already having a good time, is relaxed and is there to enjoy the entertainment. By no means am I saying I am only good when performing for drunks...what I am saying is...if I am just out somewhere at a bar or party....that is the perfect atmosphere to just bust out the impromptu effects and fry some minds.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I got drunk one time and was doing the clipshift for other drunk people. I was all yelling "How am I doing this so good? This is very difficult and I am obviously drunk!". I didn't flash or anything either but then you can probably get away with a lot more with drunk people. I like your story better :)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I was not drunk, but I was kinda of "happy" :p. Actually it helped with nervousness, but the proble is that I was kinda saying my patter a bit too fast.... Im uploading the videos now, maybe I'll post the videos tomorrow if my internet stops being a b***

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I look forward to it man. Sometimes having a drink can help performance as long as you reach that spot where your anxiety is lessened but your hands don't start going all stupid.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results