English Laundry - Dan and Dave Buck

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Yeah, I get that.

I'm just saying that if it were, say, Criss Angel or Brad Christian doing a commercial for a clothing line, a bunch of people would be tripping over themselves to be the first to cry, "Sell out!!"

Personally, I don't care how these guys make money. I'm a Misfits fan anyway so even if I did try to accuse anyone of selling out, it would put me in one hell of a glass house.

im not so sure i consider it selling out. To me selling out would be forgoing your principles or your art for the money and ignoring what you originally intended to do or your peers expect of you. To me, Dan and Dave have been about class, elegance, Badass flourishes and setting trends, and like it or not part of that has been their unique fashion. Ever since the Trilogy came out people have been asking about their clothes, their bracelets, their jackets. In a weird way they are part of the fashion world in magic and cardistry and it only makes sense that eventually they would partner up with a designer with similar style. These clothes reflect their style of Modern Class and i can see why they chose him. Now if they picked something that was completely not them, thats another story, but think about this, when they partner with Si Scott an artist its not selling out, when they partner with a kids show, its not, because they are still holding true to the art and themselves. So in the end, is it a calculated business move? yeah sure, is it a different direction for them? yeah sure, is it selling out IN MY OPINION? no, cause even with this new direction they did it in clear Dan and Dave style and brought with them a kickass looking deck of cards.

Sep 1, 2007
(sigh) Okay, let me put it another way.

Maybe 1 in 100 people knows what selling out is. Stop trying to explain to me what you think it means, because I honestly don't give a ****. My point is that magicians are particularly susceptible to thinking that art and business are mutually exclusive and must be kept on either side of an ocean populated entirely by giant sharks. Except when it's convenient to them.

May 3, 2008
I've seen Copperfield do McDonald's commercial, Blaine do NBA commercials, Brad Christian do a gambling commercial/informercial, and the Buck Twins with the Blackjack phone. No one gave them any slack for doing it. Even if it is considered selling out, I see no problem in doing so because all it does is popularize magic and cardistry. My friend got into cardistry because of their Blackjack commercial.

Sep 1, 2007
Oh for Christ's sake. Stop telling me what you think selling out is. I don't care. The point was that the fanboys would criticize other magicians for doing this commercial, but not T11 artists because they're fanboys. Either I ballsed up telling the joke so hard that I set humor back a decade or I'm applying the wrong sort of humor to the wrong sort of crowd.

I'm pretty sure it is.

from http://www.dananddave.com/english-laundry/details/

"The video, directed by Silas Howard and Ben Peyser of Standard Quality, was shot with a Red camera on location at the Global Rebels warehouse. It incorporates a clever special effect that required us to wear green body suites and be filmed performing flourishes against a green screen."

Maybe not ANY other internet celebrity. Criss Angel, yes. David Blaine, no.
Oh really, because thats totally not written on the first post of this thread...

J.

Nov 8, 2009
I think it has more to do with the skill of the magicians in question and their INTENTIONS with a project such as this. If Danny Garcia got a huge TV show like Mindfreak, but did it WELL and was putting something out that magicians could be proud of, then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. It's advancing the art. However, guys like Angel and Christian do things simply for the dollar, not to push or elevate the art in any way, which is where I begin to have issues. But two talented guys like the Bucks getting involved in a media first for magic and clothing, and doing a damn good job with it... I don't see an issue.

C

well said......

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the first flourish in the video??

Apr 26, 2009
just got mine today...only played with em for like a half hour, but very smooth outta the box. nice stock...nice thickness. the aces are are pretty sick, as are the jokers and face cards...im definately glad i picked these up

-max

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Want a review? Dan and Dave sent me a brick early so I could get my hands on them ASAP and help get the word out. I'll burn through a few factoids for you.

The stock is regular old Bicycle stock. NOTHING different than a regular deck of Bikes. I have to assume that English Laundry was less concerned with how a deck of cards "handles" and much more worried that the cards looked good. (They are a fashion company, who can blame them?) That said, they handle very well out of the box. Fans great (and they look nice in a fan too), everything you would expect from a new deck of bikes.

Awesome back done up in metallic silver ink. Custom jokers, Aces, and court cards. The aces are all the same design, just different colors (black and red) and different suits. Same with the court cards. Very unique deck design I must say. Definitely one worth having in your collection or saved for that big flourishing video you are planning.

All in all, not my favorite deck (simply because of the fact that they are just bikes hiding behind a freaking cool design), but I do like them and will use them. I recommend them highly.

L

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Want a review? Dan and Dave sent me a brick early so I could get my hands on them ASAP and help get the word out. I'll burn through a few factoids for you.

The stock is regular old Bicycle stock. NOTHING different than a regular deck of Bikes. I have to assume that English Laundry was less concerned with how a deck of cards "handles" and much more worried that the cards looked good. (They are a fashion company, who can blame them?) That said, they handle very well out of the box. Fans great (and they look nice in a fan too), everything you would expect from a new deck of bikes.

Awesome back done up in metallic silver ink. Custom jokers, Aces, and court cards. The aces are all the same design, just different colors (black and red) and different suits. Same with the court cards. Very unique deck design I must say. Definitely one worth having in your collection or saved for that big flourishing video you are planning.

All in all, not my favorite deck (simply because of the fact that they are just bikes hiding behind a freaking cool design), but I do like them and will use them. I recommend them highly.

L
Thanks so much for the review! I love bikes the best (unless Smoke&Mirrors beat them out...don't have any yet) just because I feel the most comfortable with them and they just so practical (you can buy them anywhere).

L
Thanks, I might get some when they leak onto the eBay market.

J.

May 9, 2008
These cards look really nice! They fit Dan and Dave's style, IMO. Them doing a commercial for English Laundry is definitely not selling out. Any chance they can help make a video/commercial/movie, they'll jump on it, if only for the experience in production. Remember people that photography and videography is one of their passions too. This is not selling out, this is them persuing their goals.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
These cards look really nice! They fit Dan and Dave's style, IMO. Them doing a commercial for English Laundry is definitely not selling out. Any chance they can help make a video/commercial/movie, they'll jump on it, if only for the experience in production. Remember people that photography and videography is one of their passions too. This is not selling out, this is them persuing their goals.

Exactly. Would you pass up an opportunity like this if it happened to you? You would be stupid to. This fits exactly into their area(s) of interest.They got to work with a high end clothing company using VERY high end video equipment, and they were able to play around with things that they never have had the opportunity to do.

L

Sep 20, 2008
Got my deck today.

Feels a bit odd. Doesnt fan that perfect for me, seems a bit slippy-slidey.

Though the back design is absoloutely gorgeous. The metallic ink on the back design is amazing.

That's all really. Oh yeah, custom jokers and face cards. The aces look pretty basic, specially the ace of spades. Makes a change from having the grand, exclucive custom ace of spades.

-Sin07

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results