English Laundry - Dan and Dave Buck

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
So this is the new top secret project.

From the Dan and Dave forums:

Last year we were approached by fashion giant Christopher Wicks’ clothing company English Laundry to incorporate our unique style of magic and card flourishes into a fresh new video that would showcase their brand. The end result is spectacular and to our knowledge, something that has never been done both in the fashion and magic industries. The video, directed by Silas Howard and Ben Peyser of Standard Quality, was shot with a Red camera on location at the Global Rebels warehouse. It incorporates a clever special effect that required us to wear green body suites and be filmed performing flourishes against a green screen.

Prior, another video was shot, by us, for display during their exhibit at the 2009 MAGIC show in Las Vegas. Both these videos, along with a special surprise, will be revealed this Friday only on dananddave.com.

More on the homepage and in their store

The backs look great. Knowing the Bucks, they handle well.

May 18, 2008
Great clothes!

I didn't know what English Laundry was at first, and I watched it.

And all throught, I was thinking, "DAMN, those are some nice clothes! Gotta get me some of those!"

And then it turns out they were paid by a clothing company that charges 120 bucks a shirt... :D

Sep 1, 2007
Damn it, I can't help myself. I just have to say it.

Show of hands. Who here thinks that a lot of people would call this selling out if it were any other internet celebrity magician?

Jul 13, 2009

Show of hands. Who here thinks that a lot of people would call this selling out if it were any other internet celebrity magician?

*raises paw*

Money is money though, oh and mainstream recognition.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York

Selling out?
Why, just because some business wanted to use them to help promote their products?

I don't think so. Selling out would be doing something that you were first against, then doing it for profitable gain.
So unless they were against expensive clothing, then I don't think this is a big deal. I just see this as another notch in Dan and Dave's belt.
Good for them.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around

Me. But they're doing this for money. That's all. But I really could care less, the cards look sick, and both companies are making money off of this.

Sep 1, 2007
Me. But they're doing this for money. That's all. But I really could care less, the cards look sick, and both companies are making money off of this.

Yeah, I get that.

I'm just saying that if it were, say, Criss Angel or Brad Christian doing a commercial for a clothing line, a bunch of people would be tripping over themselves to be the first to cry, "Sell out!!"

Personally, I don't care how these guys make money. I'm a Misfits fan anyway so even if I did try to accuse anyone of selling out, it would put me in one hell of a glass house.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'm just saying that if it were, say, Criss Angel or Brad Christian doing a commercial for a clothing line, a bunch of people would be tripping over themselves to be the first to cry, "Sell out!!"

Cwiss Angel is already a sell out to begin with. Doing a commercial for a clothing company (ex. Emos'R'Us) wouldn't surprise me at all.

Brad Christian doing a clothing commercial would turn people off to buying the products.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
The video looks very weirdly fake. But still pretty cool.

J.

I'm pretty sure it is.

from http://www.dananddave.com/english-laundry/details/

"The video, directed by Silas Howard and Ben Peyser of Standard Quality, was shot with a Red camera on location at the Global Rebels warehouse. It incorporates a clever special effect that required us to wear green body suites and be filmed performing flourishes against a green screen."

Maybe not ANY other internet celebrity. Criss Angel, yes. David Blaine, no.

Yeah, I get that.

I think it has more to do with the skill of the magicians in question and their INTENTIONS with a project such as this. If Danny Garcia got a huge TV show like Mindfreak, but did it WELL and was putting something out that magicians could be proud of, then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. It's advancing the art. However, guys like Angel and Christian do things simply for the dollar, not to push or elevate the art in any way, which is where I begin to have issues. But two talented guys like the Bucks getting involved in a media first for magic and clothing, and doing a damn good job with it... I don't see an issue.

C

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results