Favorite "Magical" move

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
I know, it's another one of those favorites threads, but I just had to ask this. What is your favorite/most used action that indicates to the spectator that something "magical" just happened, like snapping your fingers or waving a hand over the deck. I personally wave over the deck and then snap, or flick my wrist inward while snapping(sometimes this flashes the bottom card which would reveal the trick, so I just do my other one).

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
one handed top palm.....i always loved this move

You missed the point for the thread.

Andrew, I think that this is a really good thread to start a discussion, I would just add the "why" as to why we use the mannerism we like.

I like a subtle wave of the hand and then stop. Completely. As if something really big just happened and I just feeled it :).

I create tension, then I release tension :).

Of course, it depends on the trick.

Jul 13, 2009
I create tension, then I release tension :).

Like masturbation ohhh yeah. Ahem, it really depends on what I am trying to punctuate. I use a snap like an exclamation point. snap and point is kind of a "Look look" signal. Then if I want the magic to be slow, I cup my hand and create a shadow area. Nothing more mysterious then nothingness. Pass my shadow over something and magic happens.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
Now would you guys consider it useless or noncontributing to say something like "did you see that?" or "did you feel that" even though the obvious answer is no? I'm actually not sure on this issue since it has its advantages but it also a bit cliche.

Now would you guys consider it useless or noncontributing to say something like "did you see that?" or "did you feel that" even though the obvious answer is no? I'm actually not sure on this issue since it has its advantages but it also a bit cliche.

Its all part of the presentation and psychology. I don't really ask "did u see that" but if for some reason I have them sandwich a card between their hands, then I will not ask, but tell them you might start to feel something, perform the "magical move" bring tension THEN ask "do you feel anything"

Something else I learned from Wayne Houchin at one of his lectures . . . Wayne was performing his version of spoon bending, his version calls for the spoon to be placed in a paper bag, closed up then Wayne asks the spectator to hold the bag from the top with one hand and have your other hand underneath the bag. He then goes on to say " I want you to IMAGINE the bag you are holding is getting warmer . . .as you IMAGINE the bag getting warmerstart to pull your hand away from under the bag . . ."

By doing that, wayne pretty much told the spec that he won't really feel it but he has to imagine it, by doing that the spec responds positively by moving his had when the metal "starts to get hot" and that is what the audience will believe. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I actually let the audience do the magical move, it makes them feel more special, it makes them feel like they were the ones doing the magic.
Also "did you feel that" is a great way to practice suggestion. It's all a suggestion. As you get more comfortable, you will notice that more and more spectators will say "yes, I did feel something", because they actually THINK they did... It's the power of suggestion. As with any other technique, start practicing suggestion in the effects where suggestion is not needed (or at least the effect that does not depend ONLY on suggestion).

Jun 1, 2009
Its all part of the presentation and psychology. I don't really ask "did u see that" but if for some reason I have them sandwich a card between their hands, then I will not ask, but tell them you might start to feel something, perform the "magical move" bring tension THEN ask "do you feel anything"

Something else I learned from Wayne Houchin at one of his lectures . . . Wayne was performing his version of spoon bending, his version calls for the spoon to be placed in a paper bag, closed up then Wayne asks the spectator to hold the bag from the top with one hand and have your other hand underneath the bag. He then goes on to say " I want you to IMAGINE the bag you are holding is getting warmer . . .as you IMAGINE the bag getting warmerstart to pull your hand away from under the bag . . ."

By doing that, wayne pretty much told the spec that he won't really feel it but he has to imagine it, by doing that the spec responds positively by moving his had when the metal "starts to get hot" and that is what the audience will believe. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.
I saw Wayne's lecture in Nashville, where did you see him?
Anyway, I really like that you brought this up, because when the people were moving their hands away, I actually believed the metal was moving also, it was pretty crazy.

I rotate through a wave of the hand, snap, and having them do it. I also ask them "did you feel it" during Doc Daley's last trick because it gets them involved more, so asking that isn't really unnecessary.

Jacob

I saw Wayne's lecture in Nashville, where did you see him?
Anyway, I really like that you brought this up, because when the people were moving their hands away, I actually believed the metal was moving also, it was pretty crazy.

I rotate through a wave of the hand, snap, and having them do it. I also ask them "did you feel it" during Doc Daley's last trick because it gets them involved more, so asking that isn't really unnecessary.

Jacob

I saw him last august in Albuquerque NM. And yea, that really did a lot to the effect. What I really liked was his Counterfeit Hollingworth I've never really liked TnR effects until I saw his. I'm hoping to catch his lecture again this year I'm just waiting to see if he updates his tour schedule.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I think that there is one move that suddenly is everyone´s favorite...Cardini change...only because it was used by The Buck Twins in the Trilogy, suddenly everybody just used that color change...

I think there are cool color changes that also pretty cool and not that hard...you made the color change magical, not the move itself...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I think that there is one move that suddenly is everyone´s favorite...Cardini change...only because it was used by The Buck Twins in the Trilogy, suddenly everybody just used that color change...

I think there are cool color changes that also pretty cool and not that hard...you made the color change magical, not the move itself...

Not on topic but now that you mention the cardini change, it's weird because, I do consider myself a move monkey, there are actually some really hardcore sleights that I can pull of in a normal performance...

But man! I have practiced the cardini change like forever (and a lot of variations, Daniel garcia's, Dorian Rhodell...) and it's a move that I just can't get to look nice.

I have practiced the cardini change for like 5 years now, and I still flash at some point.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Not on topic but now that you mention the cardini change, it's weird because, I do consider myself a move monkey, there are actually some really hardcore sleights that I can pull of in a normal performance...

But man! I have practiced the cardini change like forever (and a lot of variations, Daniel garcia's, Dorian Rhodell...) and it's a move that I just can't get to look nice.

I have practiced the cardini change for like 5 years now, and I still flash at some point.

hahaha!! no manches we!!

Anyway...I think you could stop practicing for a while...forget about it, and then return to practice it...sometimes it happens that you need to rest...that´s what happened with me in the Diagonal Palm Shift...I couldn´t do it and then I forget about it for some months..suddenly one day I decided to try it out again and BAM!!! I got it right in no time!!

maybe you could PM me and I could give you some pointers with the Cardini change...I have my own version using just one hand...ahi la ves we!!

I wouldn't say it's pointless to ask because sometimes they respond with a "yes" and they truly believe it. Just look at some metal bending when it bends in their hand. I think it's great to ask if they felt or saw it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results