Female Magicians - Are there many of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there many good female magicians out there? I have seen a few here, I could probably name about 4 names.

Mandy Muden
Laura London
Katie Egleston
BaByCatXD (online name - I think her name is Kate too)

I may know more, but these are who come to the top of my head.

Sep 5, 2007
Me!

Though I seem to bounce back and fourth between one who studies magic, and one who performs it.

Maybe I would be more comfortable though just performing it if guys didn't make such a big deal about girls and magic. Hmmm...

Katie

Sep 5, 2007
It's not really too complicated.

How come there use to be almost no male nurses? Or homemakers? Or elementary school teachers? Because society said that men didn't do those things. Now of course times are changing.

But the same thing is with magic and women. You turn on TV... it's always a male magician. Criss Angel, David Blaine, The Masked Magician, Jeff McBride, Copperfield, Penn and Teller, etc. If you do see a girl, she is nothing but eye candy for the audience. Ironically she is usually the one doing the "magic" but I won't get into that.

The point is society said girls aren't magicians, they are assistants, if anything.

Luckily though I think times are changing, especially since there seem to actually be quite a few girls on this forum to begin with.

Just give it time... my guess is within the next 15 years, 20% of all magicians will be females, as societies gender roles seem to be meshing together more and more every day.

Katie

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
It's not really too complicated.

How come there use to be almost no male nurses? Or homemakers? Or elementary school teachers? Because society said that men didn't do those things. Now of course times are changing.

But the same thing is with magic and women. You turn on TV... it's always a male magician. Criss Angel, David Blaine, The Masked Magician, Jeff McBride, Copperfield, Penn and Teller, etc. If you do see a girl, she is nothing but eye candy for the audience. Ironically she is usually the one doing the "magic" but I won't get into that.

The point is society said girls aren't magicians, they are assistants, if anything.

Luckily though I think times are changing, especially since there seem to actually be quite a few girls on this forum to begin with.

Just give it time... my guess is within the next 15 years, 20% of all magicians will be females, as societies gender roles seem to be meshing together more and more every day.

Katie

Nicely put.
To me its pretty obvious why there arent alot of female magicians.
Back in the day,woman obviously didnt have many rights and were seen as lower then men.
Most that they could be or seen as were assistants.
And,in a subconcious sort of way,men and women just see it as something a man would do.
Of course,times are changing and woman are doing things that men are.
They are closer to thinking themselves as equals.
Including in the magic world.
Cheers,

P.S. yeah nikki,theres been a poop load.Im pretty sure there have been good answers in at least one of those threads..

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Me!

Though I seem to bounce back and fourth between one who studies magic, and one who performs it.

Maybe I would be more comfortable though just performing it if guys didn't make such a big deal about girls and magic. Hmmm...

Katie

thats neva gunna change girl. boys will be boys...you shouldn't ever let that stop you from preforming it as much though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results