Fiber Optics Moves Problem

Jan 17, 2015
My brother says my move are too obvious when doing fiber optics and he suspects that "thing" in my right hand during the hyper-ring moves as well as other moves..how to I draw less suspicion?

Shoud I use patter to misdirect, or hold my fist more loosely?

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The tough part with some routines is that once a spectator is on to a small part of the routine you are left very vulnerable. If your brother is aware of the "thing" then you either need to sit down with him getting feedback on how you could hold it better or practice in private and show him the routine when it is smoother in a while.

My solution would be practice. If you are flashing or awkward it is probably because you need to work with it until you can do it all in your sleep without flashing at all.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It's been a very long time since I've looked into fiber optics, however working with rope it's important to watch the tension in your hands. You are worried that you might drop it or that someone might see inside your hands, but you can relax, open your hand more and it will draw less suspicion (the picture attached is his dirty hand from his video, See how open it is?). A second thing you can try to do more is flash your hands when they are clean and you can do so. By doing it every so often, it can help them feel like they have seen both hands empty. Also a third thing it watch your eyes and focus. When learning, we have a tendency to look at our hands to make sure we are not flashing. This is okay and important at first, however the problem is that our eyes draw so much attention! So start by watching your hands, but then move to a mirror and watch your hands int he mirror. It will help draw your eyes from habitually looking directly at your hands. Then switch to a camera and practice doing the routine and looking directly into the camera. This will help form a habit of making eye contact with people (You can then review the footage to see if you flashed). I am pretty confident that by working on these three areas that you will gain the fourth most important piece which is confidence in the effect. FO is a fantastic effect. Don't be discouraged by being caught or called out. Done well, the effect is strong. As you improve and mater the handling through performing it many many times, then you will be confident enough that you won't need to watch your hands and will handle the ropes in a carefree manner. Keep it up!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 98
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results