Five Speed - Chris Kenner

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I can't even find my deck that is 'gimmicked', heck I can't even find my 'gimmick maker stuff'.

-SM

You only need to gimmick one card, though... and it only takes like 10 seconds. :confused: And the "gimmick" costs like $2-$3 and will last pretty much forever for making gimmicks- if that's the only thing you use it for.

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
Wow

I bought this trick a few days ago. I've practiced up and thought today would be an excellent day for a trial run. So during my break at work I went to one of the local stores in the mall. Picked up a can of Monster then jumped into this trick. To my dismay...the spectator choose....the 3 of spades. :( How do you continue this trick when one of the 5 monte cards is choosen? Do you break off into multi card mode? Ace of diamonds, 2 of clubs, 3 of hearts, 4 of diamonds, 5 of spades? I was thinking about doing this for about 5 sec. Then I bailed and did the line "Ha actually it would be impossible for me to find your card!"

Then I pulled out Hitman and blew the guy out of the water. T11 should add hit man to the 1 on 1 section. If I would have seen that trick on here...I would have bought it.

Over all five speed is awesome. I've nailed it for me mum, and a bunch of friends. But, this spectator today has me a bit rattled. Just the odds of him picking that card. This trick is worth the money. Pick it up, practice and enjoy.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
How do you continue this trick when one of the 5 monte cards is choosen?

First, I stroke my beard as if in deep thought. Well okay, I really don't have a beard- but that would be cool, right? Anyways- I spread through the pack, muttering thoughtfully to myself, and come to the conclusion that their card is the "insert numerical value of card here" of Spades. This usually gets them pretty good, and I just say something like, "You thought that was good? Wait until you see this one." Then perform Five Speed. Hope I could help.

/post

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but this trick, as beautiful and awesome as it is when it works, has a flaw that makes me doubt that I'll use it anymore. :( After the card is selected, you return the deck to the spectator to shuffle. Everything works perfectly if they do an overhand shuffle; but if they do a riffle shuffle, the final reveal at the end of the trick usually ends up with the wrong card. That has happened to me several times, and it really does ruin the trick. The only way around it I've considered is to specifically ask the spectator to do an overhand shuffle and give them a demo.
Any thoughts?

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but this trick, as beautiful and awesome as it is when it works, has a flaw that makes me doubt that I'll use it anymore. :( After the card is selected, you return the deck to the spectator to shuffle. Everything works perfectly if they do an overhand shuffle; but if they do a riffle shuffle, the final reveal at the end of the trick usually ends up with the wrong card. That has happened to me several times, and it really does ruin the trick. The only way around it I've considered is to specifically ask the spectator to do an overhand shuffle and give them a demo.
Any thoughts?

That is one hundred percent your fault. Check your PM in 20 mins for my version of the trick. (Which by the way ensures that this will never happen to you again.)

I'll be happy to explain my version to anybody who'll listen, so drop me a PM if any one wants to hear.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Any thoughts?

This has happened to me once or twice, but usually I feed them bull-crap like, "This is actually the best way of shuffling." And I go on to explain how it mixes them up better. If they still want to riffle shuffle, I start to panic, and if I can't get out of it, I just let them go ahead and shuffle. Fortunately, the three or four times they have riffle shuffled, it didn't disturb anything, and the trick worked out fine.

Rework your patter, and this trick will go smoothly every time.

If you were casually overhand shuffling whilst telling them to shuffle, it would psychologically prompt them to overhand shuffle it.

I'll take it one step further. I'll ask them if they know how to do an OH shuffle and them give them a demo before handing them the cards and asking them to do exactly that. That will probably work most of the time, even if they know how to riffle shuffle.

Jun 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
but if they do a riffle shuffle, the final reveal at the end of the trick usually ends up with the wrong card. That has happened to me several times, and it really does ruin the trick. The only way around it I've considered is to specifically ask the spectator to do an overhand shuffle and give them a demo.
Any thoughts?

its pretty easy to tell if a riffle shuffle is going to ruin the ending of the trick or not. theres no point in continuing the trick if this happens. alot of times my specator does a lousy riffle shuffle and i always get away with that. but the whole point if the spectator not to do a riffle in the first place

other times when either the riffle shuffle does destroy the ending or if the specator selects one of the ace-5 i used the invisible deck to save me

Aug 18, 2008
Ok here is the easiest way to avoid a riffle shuffle
simply say....

Please do an overhand shuffle because these cards are new and I don't want them bent. Spectators never question it.

Jun 10, 2010
Rofl

Wow, Chris Kenner is amazing. Most tricks either I see through, I don't care for, or I get amazed by. This is the first trick that I have laughed at in a LONG time. Thanks, CK. You made my day :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results