Fooled by a theater production!

Nov 27, 2009
A local high school just finished their run of the musical Xanadu. The show was great, and quite hilarious, but there was one thing that completely baffled me. There was a scene where the lead guy, Sonny, went into a phone booth with Converse high-tops on and came out with completely different roller skates on. I watched the show twice and couldn't figure out how the change was made. I could always see his body from the waist up and he never bent down long enough to make such a switch. This wasn't supposed to be a magic trick, but for me, it was, and I was completely fooled.

My sister was a tech for the show and she told me how the switch happened. It turns out that the back of the phone booth opened to allow a stage hand to help Sonny make the switch completely unseen. I'm sure there's something we could all learn from this, but I don't feel like thinking that through at the moment. If anyone wants to draw out the lesson from this story, that'd be awesome, if not, that's cool too. I just thought I share this with you guys. (If this is inappropriate exposure, sorry. I figured that since this wasn't supposed to be a magic trick I'd share the method.)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The lesson is pretty simple: When the audience is entertained and engaged, they don't think about methods.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I've had this happen to me before, the first time was when I saw Beauty and the Beast live. It was just a high school but when the witch turned into a woman all of a sudden she was up in the air. I could see the flying rig but I did not see it coming. I still don't know the details.

On another occasion I saw a small play that was about a ghost who had died in a box. The main character opened the box the first time and the ghost got out. I remember there being thunder and lightning effects and the ghost "vanished". I thought she had run behind the curtain, but minutes later they opened up the box again and she was there! It surprised me. I saw the show the next noght and as it turned out she just got in the box when there was thunder and lightning. I just didn't catch it the first time :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results