Get Off Your High Horse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Sounds good. Rum if you would pls.

I tried. I failed. I guess everyone strikes out sooner or later.

I'll hook you up with the good stuff. As to striking out, happens to the best of us. But in this case it seems to be more a case of that old Confucian proverb: "There is no use carving on rotten wood."

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hey, I happen to like Captain Morgan.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, since I started reading the T11 forums more. I've realized that this is a really, really negative place. I don't mean Steerpike, either. I don't think you're negative, really, Steerpike. I mean all the pety, ego-boosting teenage bull**** that goes on. There's very little worthwhile content on the forums these days, and when there is worthwhile stuff, it gets derailed and goes off on stupid tangents.

I think this relates back to the fact that many magicians learn magic as a social crutch. The ones that are negative all the time are also the ones that couldn't hold a conversation without a deck of cards either. They use magic as a way to be unique, so they have to be the best at it. Anyone that's also good at magic hurts their standing as best magician, so they react defensively.

So to you people that are doing that ... check your egos. We'll be far better magicians in general if we stop trying to be rock stars and start helping everyone around us get better.

Look at Shawn Farquhar. When the technical set up at FISM was subpar, he rewired speakers and lighting boards to help his fellow performers, even though he didn't go on until three days after that. When he was at the combined SAM/IBM competition, he helped fix the mic for the guy that went on to beat him.

What's my point? Let go of the ego, stop the back biting and hate mongering and try to improve the magic world as a whole.

Like William said. I guess I kind of went on a rant there.

Mar 4, 2010
Now, here's something I must take issue with. I do not want criticism becoming a dirty word. Criticism is not calling someone an *******. It is when you look them right in the eye and say, "No, that was unacceptable, and here's why."

And if you want to talk about coaching, let's talk about Vince Lombardi. When he first took over the Green Bay Packers they had talented players but were on a major losing streak. He gave them the usual pre-training pep talk, then proceeded to put them through hell. If the star players showed up late, Lombardi yelled at them (something the previous coach had never done) and made them work harder. He found each player's individual thumbscrews and used them when they stepped out of line. Practice sessions were like torture. Lombardi didn't put up with any bull**** from his team and tolerated nothing short of maximum effort.

That season, the Packers wiped the floor with the competition. They went on a huge winning streak with Lombardi over the next seasons. You still think we need to be all smiles?

The simple truth is, we're dealing with a supposedly artistic community. Egos are rampant. I know that sounds pretty rich coming from me, but you know I'm right. Most people figure if they only hear praise from you, then they don't need to change. Every now and again, we need to have someone tell us, "That sucked."

I would also like to take a moment to gloat over the fact that I feel this topic was in part directed at me (though I know it's not exclusive to my charming self), and yet I am the first one to contribute something of actual value to it.

Not saying I'm disagreeing with your post but just a side fact, we are magicians not Packers.

Sep 3, 2007
If the man wants to cry, let him cry. This is the internet, the most caring place in the entire universe.

I say don't cry. That means it would piss me off if he did! Other than the fact he is asking for advice on a magic forum (where all of you CRY).

Sep 3, 2007
Jeez, you know what? I just remembered that I should go smoke a cig. Don't worry! It is just a "FAKE" Cig...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2010
Jeez, you know what? I just remembered that I should go smoke a cig. Don't worry! It is just a "FAKE" Cig... Until you make it where I can't smoke anymore of-course... (Just a cig) My lungs hurted.

Dude, I have no idea what in the fine black hell you are smoking but can I have some?

Sep 3, 2007
Dude, I have no idea what in the fine black hell you are smoking but can I have some?

Give me your address bro... First I will have to send my furniture. Next, I will send the stuff I'm smoking. Even though I don't smoke of course. No one does! Haven't you walked outside lately? The basic thing is to just act like they want you to. Then you'll be fine.

Sep 3, 2007
Haha... Mr. Smoke Master!

What is YOUR address JV? Crap.

Lucky for us there are other people to decide stuff for us... Let us just focus on Magic and not what someone else is thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results