Hand's Off - Patrick Redford

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
What They Say
Using his original effect Auspicious Coincidence as a jumping off point (Mendacity, 2005), Redford has taken his Any Card at Any Number to a whole new level.

Someone names (really) any card, another (really) any number. The performer asks if it would be impressive if that card were found at that number in the deck of cards he's been holding with a death grip. The audience of course agrees, but the performer admits it wouldn't be very impressive as he's been holding onto the deck the entire time and could have done something sneaky. What would be more impressive is if that card was found at that named position in a deck of cards that the performer's gone no where near. Better yet, its been in full view since before the effect began.

The closed box is tossed to an audience member who opens the box, removes the cards, and counts them one at a time face-up to find the named card at the exact named position.

No Memorized Stack
No Crib Sheets
No Complicated Math
No Force
100% Accurate
Deck Examinable
Virtually Moveless
Ends Clean
Quick Reset
Easy to Do
There are three variations included in this special release:

Close-Up Hands Off - The main effect
Hands Off Stage - A variation suitable for stage performances
Fantasie Impromptu - An impromptu card at named number with an interesting plot hook.
The detailed instructional video covers everything you need to know, including how to prepare and construct the gaffs.

What I Say
Well let me begin by saying the ACAAN plot is a very interesting one and a large percentage of the methods I have seen suffer from many different draw backs, mainly because of the Grail status that has been applied to the effect. I believe with careful audience management and control you could get the audience to remember the effect meeting all the grail criteria. Off all the methods I have seen in regards to this effect Mr. Redford's handling and routining is one of the best I have seen. The only draw back is that two deck's are used however in the presentation this is handled very effectively by adding an other hurdle in the audience's mind.

As for the effect the method that Patrick explains is very clever, and it is not just magic for magician's clever. This effect is incredibly practical and perfectly routined. Throughout the explanation Patrick not only talks about what is happening but also why it is happening, he also talks about the staging of the of the effect and how to hide the gaffs. I found this to be both useful and showing that Patrick has defiantly worked this effect in the real world. Patrick gives both a stage and parlor handlings completed with their own subtleties and staging.

In each handling Patrick gives three different ways to set up the deck. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. But the add copy that has been put out is 100% accurate, in one of the arrangements. One of the arrangements fails one criteria and the other falls into a grey area with into two of them. Truthfully though these techniques fail on the add copy notes they are still very good methods and make the overall effect is much easier in the long term if you use one of the other methods. I know that this was cryptic and I will happily answer all questions in a private message.

Fantasie Impromptu is a very clever very well presented ACAAN type effect. Personally I will still use my handling of the effect for impromptu ACAAN methods. One advantage of impromptu versions that the set up ones has is the advantage of the spectator shuffling the cards. In this effect I believe that having the spectators shuffle the cards adds so much to the effect.

So all in all these handlings are very good, the method is very clever and practical. Even though you use a red and blue deck I would only use this as a stand alone effect and it is not very practical for table hopping. It is more of an effect that requires the audience to come to you.

Jan 16, 2008
Nice to see another review from DICER.
I would like to ask, is Fantasie Impromptu completely impromptu? No set up, no gaffs, just sleight of hand?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
yes it is there is a performance on youtube of it. I still prefer my impromptu ACAAN it meets almost all the criteria of the Berglas Effect. It also adds a few things too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results