Help reviewing magic blog!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Great job. The only one I personally would disagree with is the last one. I love when someone ask me this. It's usually kids that do, and when they do, I do everything I can to encourage them and even give them a tip or two. I wan them to feel empowered and excited about learning and performing magic!
Then other times it's during a professional walk around setting, and someone at a table will ask this. I absolutely welcome it and use it as an opportunity to make them the star! I ham it up and say 'wow! Great job!' Then make them look good in front of their friends. As you can imagine, I suddenly have a new fan, rather than if I just said yeah yeah, I already know that one. I am not worried about my ego if I fail to make it clear that I knew how it was done, and can do it better. My job is to help them have an experience and that question is an open opportunity.
I recently had a young guy show me a trick at a club meeting that was an instant stooge type of effect that makes the stooge look like they can find a chosen card. Now that I'm thinking about it, this might be a great effect to do with someone who want's to show you something, to then do after if you have the time to make them really shine.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Great job. The only one I personally would disagree with is the last one. I love when someone ask me this. It's usually kids that do, and when they do, I do everything I can to encourage them and even give them a tip or two. I wan them to feel empowered and excited about learning and performing magic!
Then other times it's during a professional walk around setting, and someone at a table will ask this. I absolutely welcome it and use it as an opportunity to make them the star! I ham it up and say 'wow! Great job!' Then make them look good in front of their friends. As you can imagine, I suddenly have a new fan, rather than if I just said yeah yeah, I already know that one. I am not worried about my ego if I fail to make it clear that I knew how it was done, and can do it better. My job is to help them have an experience and that question is an open opportunity.
I recently had a young guy show me a trick at a club meeting that was an instant stooge type of effect that makes the stooge look like they can find a chosen card. Now that I'm thinking about it, this might be a great effect to do with someone who want's to show you something, to then do after if you have the time to make them really shine.

The last one happens to me all the time. It's actually usually from adults. I don't mind. I love watching magic and really try to be the best possible spectator I can be.

I HATE SMUG MAGICIAN AUDIENCES! So I try to take a deep breath and pretend to be a layman anytime I watch magic.

If they show me some magic I usually take the chance to talk about magic with them. I try to keep some magician foolers on me anyways so that I can pull these out in these situations. I may teach them something or show them a way to "improve" what ever they did. When an adult wants to show you magic it is probably because they love magic. These guys are likely to be the ones that hire you in the future.

I do pull out instant stooge stuff for the know-it-alls. There are some people who wish they were performing, they tend to hang out with the uber-willing participants. Instant stooges work well with these groups.

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I like it! I agree with most, to an extent.

I do think #10 is something most magicians like to hear. It generally happens to me after a routine, or on a free moment when I'm not performing. I love to watch the trick, and don't try and mess it up. Infact, I think a major part of doing magic is learning to be a good watcher, or else your no better than those that are like: "OMG WATCH HIS HANDS! SOMETHINGS ABOUT TO HAPPEN" or the "exposers" out there.

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Oct 7, 2015
Awesome, I'll change the last one now.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Awesome, I'll change the last one now.

Looks good, but this paragraph doesn't make sense:

"I myself have dealt with over 1,000 hecklers, and while most have ended quite nicely, sometimes the heckler wants to seem like the biggest person in the room, and in all cases, left the show in handcuffs. This, of course, is rare and has only happened a handful of times for me."

I think you mean something like "and in extreme cases"

Oct 7, 2015
I like it! I agree with most, to an extent.

I do think #10 is something most magicians like to hear. It generally happens to me after a routine, or on a free moment when I'm not performing. I love to watch the trick and don't try and mess it up. In fact, I think a major part of doing magic is learning to be a good watcher, or else your no better than those that are like: "OMG WATCH HIS HANDS! SOMETHINGS ABOUT TO HAPPEN" or the "exposers" out there.
Thanks, I'll change it to something better now.
Looks good, but this paragraph doesn't make sense:

"I myself have dealt with over 1,000 hecklers, and while most have ended quite nicely, sometimes the heckler wants to seem like the biggest person in the room, and in all cases, left the show in handcuffs. This, of course, is rare and has only happened a handful of times for me."

I think you mean something like "and in extreme cases"
Hmm I see, I'll change that now

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results