Hey everyone... I'm new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2007
Thanks for the welcoming. I haven't heard of Derren Brown, does he have a TV show like Criss Angel?
He doesn;t have a show per sè, well he had one over here once but it wasn;t very popular. Deren Brown is a British mentalist who does stage shows a few times a year, not like Criss Angel's much more classy on a theatre stage. He has these stage shows recorded and then sells themn as DVD's I reccomend you look him up on youtube.

Sep 1, 2007
I would love advice then and thanks for telling me that tutorials aren't viewed very well by magicians.

I'm just glad I got to you before the real jackals in the community did. Tutorials and piracy are kind of a hot button issue right now and most people are taking very rigid black-and-white stances on it. It gets kind of ugly.

Good deal. I will listen.

Alright then. The keystone of all my advice is going to go back to two hugely important words: stay connected. I first heard these words from a mentalist named Bob Cassidy in his book Fundamentals. Since then, they have been repeated to me by my mentors every time I speak with them.

What this means is that to be a great magician, you need to connect with your audiences as people. You need to present yourself to them in an appealing way and you need to listen to them.

I've seen way too many magicians who make it all about them. They may as well just tape a mirror to their audience's faces. Do not make that mistake. Figure out who you want to perform for, find those people, and find out what commonalities you have with them so that you can do a show that they would want to see and that you would enjoy performing.

P.S.: Steerpike, do you mind if I use 'YouTube tutorials are to learning magic what a Swiss army knife is to practicing open-heart surgery.' in my sig?

Go right ahead.

Mar 21, 2009
I'm just glad I got to you before the real jackals in the community did. Tutorials and piracy are kind of a hot button issue right now and most people are taking very rigid black-and-white stances on it. It gets kind of ugly.

Alright then. The keystone of all my advice is going to go back to two hugely important words: stay connected. I first heard these words from a mentalist named Bob Cassidy in his book Fundamentals. Since then, they have been repeated to me by my mentors every time I speak with them.

What this means is that to be a great magician, you need to connect with your audiences as people. You need to present yourself to them in an appealing way and you need to listen to them.

I've seen way too many magicians who make it all about them. They may as well just tape a mirror to their audience's faces. Do not make that mistake. Figure out who you want to perform for, find those people, and find out what commonalities you have with them so that you can do a show that they would want to see and that you would enjoy performing.

Go right ahead.

Thats a great start for me. Thanks a bunch! I look forward to more knowledge from you!

Dec 30, 2008
Okay thanks. I geuss it makes sense. Maybe I will buy a trick then.

You will get MUCH more out of the trick when you buy it. Believe me if you try to learn an effect from a tutorial then try to learn it from the artist on the DVD or book or even a PDF file you will realize why you should ALWAYS buy the effects.

Mar 21, 2009
woah slow down there buddy. Welcome to the forums, hopefully you get something out of it... If you picked up magic a week ago, then I suggest you find a local magic shop and go talk to the guy there. Buy some books on magic, get bored, and give up, or stick with it.

If you want to be just like chris angel, then I suggest you get a lot of money because camera tricks are EXPENSIVE! People 'round these parts don't really respect the type of magic chris angel does because of that- not that he's not a good performer. Any who, getting tricks for free off the internet is also a no-no. asking steerpike to make a tutorial for a trick that just came out on this website last night isn't a good plan. Buy your tricks. Be ethical. Also, backspace and go read the forum rules. No exposure of methods and all that jazz. It is a very amateur move to ask people here to reveal tricks to you, so don't ask. If you want to learn, take the time and the effort. It's not easy, and it takes experience.

good luck
kevin

Thanks, I didn't know revealing was bad.

Sep 1, 2007
You're going to learn this at some point, so heed these words

Criss Angel is a worse magician than about 65% of the people on these forums.

~Beans

P.S. You'll also learn that Steerpike is the man. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results