Houdini

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Hey I was reading Houdini's biography and watching some videos and this question came to my mind. Is Houdini real? By this I mean what did he do to get the title besides escapes?

Just for the record I see escapes more on the side of stunt than magic.

[edited by moderator for grammar, spelling, and punctuation]

Dec 13, 2007
one of his signature acts is metamorphosis

he also i believe had a stage show in which at one point would vanish an elephant

and the reason why a lot of stunts are mixed with magic is because often times, the stunts aren't really stunts.... many just create the illusion of danger

Sep 2, 2007
London
By all accounts Houdini was a very impressive and exciting stage magician, by virtue of his brilliant showmanship and flair for publicity, but he wasn't particularly innovative, in that he generally adapted techniques of others rather than inventing his own. Neither was he unusually adept at sleight-of-hand. His "King of Cards" title was apparently a bit of an overstatement, although he could perform some flourishes on stage with a panache that marked him out to laymen as some kind of pasteboard genius. Among his peers, like Dai Vernon, Doc Daley, Cardini, John Scarne and so on, he was not considered to be much of a card man.

On the point about stunts, escapes and the like, to my mind, they take the same place for the stage or TV magician as flourishes do to a close-up worker, or a genuinely psychological effect does to someone like Derren Brown. In other words, they prove unequivocally to the audience that you possess a high level of skill in your chosen field. Therefore your audience are more prepared to be amazed at your other effects, rather than merely questioning your method. They know you have almost unbelievable talents, so they feel themselves almost unworthy to accuse you of using some trick prop or another such subterfuge.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Hey i was reading Houdini's biographic an watching some videos and this question came to my mind is Houdini really i mean by this what did he did to get the title besides scape's.

just for the record i see of escapes more on the side of stunt than magic.

Houdini became so famous because, at that time, he brought magic to a popular culture. He made magic popluar.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Houdini became so famous because, at that time, he brought magic to a popular culture. He made magic popluar.

yeah but i was thinking about it what if Houdini was like a Criss Angel, we all know he uses some camera tricks and all but to the spectators hes Houdini in modern times and when i say spectators i mean the people who are non magicians who watch the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2007
Harry Houdini (Ehrich Weiss) was the greatest magician that ever lived. He had such a fascinating life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2007
Seriously I could talk about Houdini for a very long time. If you are reading his biography you will find out. I am reading Houdini: The Making of Americas First Superhero and it is incredible. I will not get into the details of why, but if you read that book you will really find out. He was also just an incredible man and an incredible son and husband. He would perform for hospitals which might have inspired children and provided them with a good time.

I would say even more but I have a Physics Test tomorrow and need to go to bed soon and do a few stuff. Like I said, Houdini was one of the greatest magicians that ever lived. Speaking of which, maybe I will write an essay on Houdini and how he changed magic and the world. Then I will PM it to you.

P.S. Houdini Owns!!!

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
From what I've read and heard, Houdini was a brilliant performer, but as a magician he would be today considered highly unethical.

Sep 1, 2007

Actually, that would be the Maskelynes, Devant, Kellar, and Thurston.

Houdini was a working-class hero and his escape act was created during an era where performers were taking unorthodox specializations.

As a magician, Houdini was actually fairly pedestrian. It was his showmanship, the unique flavor of his act at the time, and his unbelievable audacity that won him fame. Houdini was consciously trying to build up a legend.

Orson Welles recalled seeing a Houdini performance as a child where the magic was all very kitchy and bland, but the escapes and the lecture exposing Spiritualist mediums were fascinating.

When Houdini vanished an elephant at Hippodrome, he got a smattering of applause.

He was a great performer, but an average magician at best. His legacy lies in his brilliance as a publicity hound and his innovation as an escape artist and general performer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results