How are you doing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MagicofKeelan, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Hello everyone. We're in a weird time right now. I've had shows get cancelled but I'd love to go over a few ways we can get over what we are all going through.

Obviously some people aren't avid on performing on social media but I feel this is a good time to hop on some apps and give them a try. Upload to Facebook, Insta, Tiktok, Youtube, etc. It still gives you the opportunity to perform for people and get the social feedback we need, because I know I'm having performance withdrawals. Make a magic or cardistry video. Do a live stream and talk to your fanbase and do a trick every few min, just don't burn yourself out in one live stream.

Honestly rematch some old magic videos. I'm a firm believer in whats old is new. My street performance when I go out is 5 tricks I have a set focus on for lets say that month then one trick that I'll get for video. I started magic in the first grade but really took off in middle school for me (I'm 24 now), the goal is to find those old videos from that middle school and study them, you have nothing but time.

PRACTICE. Whether it's a new effect or one you have done for forever, PRACTICE IT. Let me break down what I mean by practice. Don't just go through the motions in a mirror and say it's good enough. Take your basic sleight and try and do it the slowest you can do it without any windows, talking coins, ect. I was fortunate to have a mentor that told me THAT SUCKED. Be honest with yourself don't post to post an effect or perform it. Tell yourself it's not ready. Push yourself beyond your comfort zone.

Hope everyone is safe and when this over we can bring happiness and smiles to people through our art.

2. I was thinking on putting some content on my youtube... I only use it to have testimonials, demo videos, etc... and not creating a following... but I think this is a good time to work on it...

I have a couple of other projects to work on... but I am also a little bummed, because I got some shows canceled that would have provided a lot of money for me... nevermind... tough times dont last... only tough people do...

3. Many performers I follow; magicians, comedians, and musicians, have all done just that. I watched Mat Franco’s performance the other day, it was fun. Popped in on a couple live streams from some magicians today as well. Kinda wish people would quit asking to learn stuff in the feeds though, but Franco handled it well and taught a simple trick near the end of his livestream.

Couple other magicians I follow are using this open time to take on some students via Skype.

While this is unfortunate for many industries entertainers are lucky to have a possible outlet for their skills that other affected peoples like bartenders generally don’t have. Anyways I’m looking forward to more live events popping up.

MagicofKeelan likes this.
  4. I can't wait to do live shows and attend some when the time comes. Hoping Magic Live is good too.

5. Shows cancelling are tough but definitely a good time to post content. even if its a ACR just post it. People will appreciate it in the current time we are in. Plus online performances have helped get bookings for me as well. Break out your comfort zone a bit.

6. I am semi-retired from Magic now after about 6 decades of performing. But during this ultra-challenging period, my heart truly goes out to those who primarily or exclusively depend on magic for their support and are seeing shows cancelled, with few prospects on the immediate horizon. Please think positive and faithful thoughts, because this is going to pass.

In the meantime, I have thought about what I would do right now if performing was still my main meal ticket. I would probably set up a folding table on the street in an area where people are likely to be out and about, and do some nice visual magic - ropes, floating dollar, cups and balls or chop cup, maybe the egg bag, the invisible deck, some mental magic and/or mentalism, etc. -- pieces that don't require people to get too close or touch anything, but that they could enjoy from 6 or more feet away. This has the added advantage that it will bring your Magic, entertainment and people skills to a whole new level.

People need an escape right now and a lift, something to take their minds off their worries and stresses. Many people will always have a few dollars (sometimes more) to express their appreciation and put into your hat or tip jar. During the Great Depression in the U.S. times were obviously very hard economically, but the entertainers made out pretty well. For the time being, there will be few paid shows where people will be coming to the Magic. But they need some Magic in their lives, and so do we -- so bring it to them!

MagicofKeelan likes this.
  7. Does anyone truly retire from magic? I feel it's in our blood forever haha. I just feel people would be afraid to see magic in this time in public because unfortunately people can believe it spreads infection or they might be getting scammed. Overall I do enjoy live performance over everything. I do enjoy how your lineup of effects that still can be performed without physical audience participation. Like you said it doesn't let them touch anything but they can still contribute. Which I feel is my biggest downfall because I enjoy hands on engagement with the audience. I feel when I was beginning in magic I did rope effects, really need to start doing that again. Professors nightmare and rope through neck were my go to but definitely a skill I need to re acquire. This is an eye opening experience because I was going to quit my job to pursue magic fully, but now I see I need more income from multiple sources. Hoping the best for magician friends, peers, and colleagues.

Al e Cat Dabra likes this.
  8. Over 20+ shows/events canceled already, filmings postponed, consulting postponed... now it's seeing how long before I am houseless... again

I have always stayed away from "social-media" but, we'll see...