How context shapes content.

Feb 7, 2011
This is one of the lectures from the increasingly popular TED website. It is by one of the all time great skateboarders Rodney Mullen. His approach to skateboarding, his creative process and his insight to creative communities are all things that can be applied to magic or cardistry. In the video he compares the process to hacking, as I said, it could easily be applied to what we do.

[video=youtube;gwjlDBjNzXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwjlDBjNzXk[/video]

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
This is one of the lectures from the increasingly popular TED website. It is by one of the all time great skateboarders Rodney Mullen. His approach to skateboarding, his creative process and his insight to creative communities are all things that can be applied to magic or cardistry. In the video he compares the process to hacking, as I said, it could easily be applied to what we do.

Rodney Mullen rocks :)

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I really wanted to enjoy that but he is so annoying. He's probably late 40's and still acts like a goofy teenager, it's horrible.

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Everyone builds up their own unique processes, especially the obsessed, these methods tend to come from intrinsic motivation by finding the smallest building blocks. Fortunatly good magic materials provide this but attitudes can overlook truly absorbing nuances. I personally believe that mastering a single trick really helps individuals break down the building blocks of presentation, rhythm and audience interraction throughout an effect. The same goes for learning a single sleight, i.e a pass, for years as the smallest technical building blocks can become ingrained in muscle memory.

Skateboarding and magic are very similar in many ways especially muscle memory.

@formula I should let you know he is borderline autistic

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I really wanted to enjoy that but he is so annoying. He's probably late 40's and still acts like a goofy teenager, it's horrible.

Bill Malone
Fujii Akira
Silvester (of the Silvester Pitch)
David Acer
Jay Sankey

to name a few.

I bet some skateboards would say the same about the above listed magicians.

To each their own.

Way to see through the minute details and focus on the content though.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Sorry but I know for fact Bill Malone is a bit closer to 60 than I am. . . we used to do magic together in Chicago about 30 years ago (hahahaha)

But you are correct in the fact that there are tons of very successful people in our world today that are in fact 40+ year old teenagers when it comes to our attitudes around certain facets in life. Look into Psychology & Human Development texts of the 80's and you will find reference to the Peter Pan Syndrome in which this "condition" is discussed on the clinical level.

On the other hand, I think we're looking at someone that simply has no respect for those that have experienced life more and accomplished so much . . . they are threatened by authority and established roles in life when it comes to being true Mentors. I thought it was just me, but I'm seeing a broader picture now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results