How do I incorporate cardistry into my routine?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If you have any cuts that are false you can easily insert these in.

I used to do an effect where I would say, "Do you want to see this the easy way or the hard way? With the easy way I shall my fingers and your card comes to the top. With the hard way I will cut the deck into five packets then I'll cut it into three with one hand and shoot one card out of the deck It will spin seven times I'll catch it in my other hand." I would then perform the complicated way, and shoot the wrong card. I'd show them the card they would say that it was wrong and I would say oh that's because it didn't spin enough. I could then do a top change and spin the card a couple more times and show that it changed.

Dynamo uses cardistry and he calls it the Dynamo shuffle.

Ekaterina had a video of here performing at one point for a table of people. She put together a nice routine explaining different types of shuffles.

At some point there is going to be a performer that steps out and performs cardistry very well for a live audience. That's part of the code that just hasn't been cracked yet. When they do step out, we'll all kick it each other and say, "That was so obvious!"

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
So... I love cardistry, I think it is cool. I have some cardistry moves that I like but I cant find a way to add them to my tricks/routines. Does anyone have any tips?

Use them when they make sense.

Don't use them when you don't want the spectator to remember you handled the deck. A Sybil cut during an effect would create a very, very clear memory that you definitely touched the deck and thus, you had control over the deck and the cards, which means that you had an opportunity to move cards here and there. If you don't mind the spectator remembering this piece of information, go ahead.

Look at Anna D's Fool Us performance. She incorporates cardistry in a very creative way. She knows that one of the cons of using cardistry in a magic performance signals "MAGICIAN HANDLING CARDS IN A SUSPICIOUS MANNER" and that's why she switches up the reveal to a place over which she seemingly had no control.

I find that the easiest and most efficient way to incorporate cardistry into an effect is by incorporating it in the revelation. You can use a top shot to reveal a card, you can use Instant Replay coupled with the Rub a Dub vanish, you can use cardistry twirls right before showing the face of the card.

You can also use cardistry in the beginning of an effect, as in a LePaul spread to let a volunteer select a card, or you can use different card fans to show all the cards are different without saying that in your patter.

Usually the problems and disagreements come when discussing the use of cardistry in the middle of an effect.

If you have any cuts that are false you can easily insert these in.

I used to do an effect where I would say, "Do you want to see this the easy way or the hard way? With the easy way I shall my fingers and your card comes to the top. With the hard way I will cut the deck into five packets then I'll cut it into three with one hand and shoot one card out of the deck It will spin seven times I'll catch it in my other hand." I would then perform the complicated way, and shoot the wrong card. I'd show them the card they would say that it was wrong and I would say oh that's because it didn't spin enough. I could then do a top change and spin the card a couple more times and show that it changed.

Dynamo uses cardistry and he calls it the Dynamo shuffle.
These are great, tried and tested ways of incorporating cardistry in the middle of an effect.

But all of these have become typical ways of incorporating cardistry in magic today (though at the time of their origin, they were very innovative). The question today isn't if you can incorporate cardistry in magic. The real question is, can you come up with a way to incorporate cardistry in magic that's completely out of the box, but doesn't negatively affect the impact of either art form?

:)

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I use it as both a gag and a way to make the magic seem more impossible when juxtaposed to cardistry.

I will place their card into the deck then perform a bunch of flashy cuts and false shuffles while saying, “most magicians will shuffle the cards like this to try and confuse you.... but I am not gunna do that.” They always laugh but next I show the their card on top then very slowly place it into the deck. Then it appears back on top. It makes the second moment so strong because compared to the first there is no way it could have appeared on top. I didn’t do anything in their mind.

I use it as both a gag and a way to make the magic seem more impossible when juxtaposed to cardistry.

I will place their card into the deck then perform a bunch of flashy cuts and false shuffles while saying, “most magicians will shuffle the cards like this to try and confuse you.... but I am not gunna do that.” They always laugh but next I show the their card on top then very slowly place it into the deck. Then it appears back on top. It makes the second moment so strong because compared to the first there is no way it could have appeared on top. I didn’t do anything in their mind.
That is a great idea, thanks.

May 11, 2017
Ukraine, Odessa
So... I love cardistry, I think it is cool. I have some cardistry moves that I like but I cant find a way to add them to my tricks/routines. Does anyone have any tips?

I think it's good idea to incorporate cardistry in your magic, because it's always eye candy for people.
The way to do it depends on what you are able to do in magic and cardistry.

Examples of Sybil as a base..

Some old fashion cuts that can be easily adapted for card control:

You can also construct routine with any of the fancy moves you familiar with and can do well:

The other thing you need to take into account it has to suit your style and other routines you are going to perform..

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
Roberto gave some very good advice on this in the following interview:

Should magicians perform card flourishes?

Flourishes are essentially overt techniques in the service of showmanship. The "card tricks" of stage manipulators often consist largely of flourishes, such as one- and two-handed fans, springing and cascading the cards, tossing a ribbon of cards into the air and catching it again, throwing and catching individual cards like boomerangs. There are also flourish effects, such as the bare-handed production of single cards or even fans of cards, the diminishing and expanding of cards, etc. Flourishes showcase the performer’s skill, whether at the table or on the stage. The goal is not to mystify by performing something inexplicable, but to handle the cards in an unusual, yet aesthetically pleasing manner. They also create psychological and dramatic accents in the course of a routine.

Many competent performers have expressed their opinions on the use of flourishes, resulting in three basic schools of thought on the subject:

1. At one extreme are those who maintain that the performer should handle the cards clumsily, so that the subsequent trick appears as miraculous as possible. With no apparent skill involved, it can only have been accomplished by magic.

2. At the other extreme are those who believe this is nonsense and that the performer should appear as skillful as possible, dazzling the spectators with displays of manipulative bravura.

3. Between these two extremes lies a third school, which follows the philosophy of naturalness championed by Dai Vernon, universally and respectfully known as the "Professor". This school teaches that the cards should be handled so as not to arouse suspicion. Above all, they should be handled neatly and nonchalantly, with the ease and casualness that defines the true master. Doesn't one expect a violin virtuoso to hold the violin securely and guide the bow precisely, with complete ease and confidence?

A discretely introduced flourish, such as the dribbling of the cards after the return of a selection to the deck, helps to underscore the fairness of the procedure. An unusual way of turning a face-down card face up to reveal the chosen card can strengthen the effect. Using an elegantly made fan to display the cards as all different imbues the handling with an aesthetic quality. Even relatively easy flourishes such as a ribbon spread and turnover on the table give the impression of above-average dexterity and - properly applied - can make an effect considerably more memorable and impressive for an audience. Introduce them into your performances with care and intelligence, and they will contribute disproportionately to your success.

Check the full interview under the heading "What simple card flourishes should beginners learn?" for some suggestions of cardistry moves that are appropriate within magic.

I normally use cardistry just for videos or promotions, not really in live performance. Best was as stated above is to use it in a shuffle after a card is selected or even as a lead in. Most spectators don't know how to shuffle so when presenting cards, ask who knows how to shuffle. If someone does, allow them to shuffle and work cardistry after the card is picked but using something that is obviously a falsie. Not trying to plug but I made a cut on my Youtube of a simple cut that's a false cut if you'd like to see. However if no one knows how to shuffle, you can use the cardistry to demonstrate your skill. For me cardistry is a conversation starter, in public it grabs attention. I don't want to take away from the magic in any way, if that makes sense. It's just situational I guess. I wouldn't do it in a ACR because it's too many moving parts for something that should be simple but it's a good stall in card to mouth if that's your style. I'd just say record yourself doing your routines and find where you would like cardistry put at.

Reactions: Theorist19

KathyK1

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2015
Cordova, TN
I perform with my boyfriend Jeffrey Day, he does some cardistry to music during the show. By adding music to his combination of card flourishes and fans it becomes an elegant and impressive part of the show.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results