How is your routine?

I see alot of threads stating what is your favorite effect and what are your top 5 tricks in you routine and it got me thinking OH no don't worry the ole knocker is still working. I want to discuss each members individual's systematic drawing boards for their routines. For example in my main routine at the club it goes like this: First, approach and intro, then into a simple coin routine and humor to relax the spectators, then into three of my favorite card tricks, next I perform some spoon or fork effects and finish with sixth and final effect. Now the order of my routine has been put into that order for a reason as follows.

I wanted to keep my routine around 7 to 10 minutes and leave each spectator feeling fullfilled yet leaving them remembering me since performing too short of a performance seems to leave them saying they've seen a magician instead of saying I've seen Shane Black do magic.

I didn't want to start with cards due to wanting to gain their interest first without prejudgement. When I walk up (Anthony Bass and Vipermagic has seen me do this), I usually take my ring off in front of my target and do a false pass to the other hand and make a simple gesture of throwing the ring into the air and show my right hand with the ring back on it. Now I do this without saying a word as soon as I walk up because it gets them laughing and involved also it gives me a chance to evaluate who I'm dealing with and see how accepting they are to magic.

I feel people are intrigued with slieght of hand first before they are with card tricks. Now that I have their attention I do a coins across production with vanish, then some more short talk and humor. Now I pull out my cards and lay it on them. I then perform magic with something on the table like a fork or glass, then I move into my closing trick which needs to be stronger than all the rest of course.

Now here's the most important part in my performance I chill for a little bit and answer questions because usually at this time they usually do and I give them each a card and my contact information and leave my performance diary on the table (David Stone recommendation) asking them to write something about performance in it also it leaves them with something to put a tip into.(thanks David Stone)

What are some of you guys techniques into your routines and feel free to respond with anything further guys.

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2008
my routine at school

I have changed my routine from long to short (school) and found that a short but sweet routine works good around school. We don't have a lot of time at school between breaks (i perform at lunch) whether it be because of other friends or anything else. So here is my routine 5-7 min.

Walk up introduce if i don't know them, ask them what period they have science and talk about that. i grab a napkin or tissue from somewhere and perform the funny trick where you throw it over their head and make it vanish. It is funny and gets others interested along with the same audience. Then i break out a dollar and pen. (or borrow theirs) i vanish the dollar (thumbtip) and proceed to perform and pen and bill penetration and let that settle in. My ending is either a routine i came up with. 4 bills. a different number on each, they pick one, i lay all bills on ground and take the same pen and control the pen to choose the right bill.(loops) thats my normal routine for school. Unusual, creative and i think killer for those school days.

You can take down people's initial defense with comedy it seems. In the IBM meetings we talk about about that alot. If your funny then they'll be more open and remember you and that important in this field. I like how you use everyday objects to perform with that also catches their attention more I believe. (the money by the way)

Shane.

Jan 4, 2008
Yes, what i try to do is use everyday objects because at school peoples minds are at SCHOOL. Therefor the normal thing to use are everyday objects. I use cards all the time as well so if i'm in the mood then out comes the cards.

I want to try and stay away from the topic of discussing each individual trick you do in your routine unless it's nessassary of course to explain your routining. I am looking more for structural designing of your routines and the purpose of that structure.

Shane.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Hey Shane, Good idea for a topic!

I tend with my walk-around routine to walk up with a smile and intro, though my performance has some serious elements to it, I think the value of a bit of humor of even just smiling is incomprehensible!

I start with an effect called Bang-On by Marc Oberon, it's any named card in your wallet and is scripted perfectly for a close quarters opener as it's quick and impactful.

I move on then (with suitable banter with the guests) to my coin bend routine 'Altered' (Which was released and sold out at Blackpool this year - Any one that picked it up reviews would be great!) to lead into my forks where I finish.

My fork bend routine uses 2 forks and is about 4/5 mins long leaving them with a great souvenir ala liquid metal (Strebler)

I will often chop and change some things depending on situation as though it's good to have a solid routine, if your strolling it's often a good idea to be flexible also as groups merge and people float around (bar the pun) alot!

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated!!

Cheers, D.

Feb 8, 2008
I usually start with something like Commercial that is short and visual with little spectator involvement so that they're drawn in without having to reach over and pick a card. Then I like to do an ACR with TiVo 2.0 worked in as the climax (w00t!). This is my basic routine, and I can modify it to suit my needs. It works for me because each trick flows seamlessly into the other well enough that if you asked the spectator about it, they would think they had only seen one long trick. It also only uses cards, and there is no stereotypical "pick a card" opener that can turn people off if they're first meeting you. I usually say "wanna see something cool?" or something. The routine takes me about five minutes, but I can draw it out to about eight if I want to. I can add a few tricks on the end if I'm just hanging out with friends, and sometimes if I'm sitting at a table I'll perform Out of This World as a climax, but only if I know the person and we have a lot of time on out hands. I like to incorporate a little humor into it, but most of it is serious.

Actually Shane you gave us some good advice at the lecture because I was thinking about going the serious route but then you told us that if you get the audience laughing then they will remember you. So I thought why no mix both comedy and drama?

Luis

And Vipermagic you have met me in the flesh and you have seen how serious I take performing and I beleive in the techniques I have expressed here to work above any others but at the same time I can't always except that theres nothing left to do which is exactly why I started this thread to see what works for you guys as well.

Drama in a sense can be the best thing for a routine I believe as well. The suspense and thrill of the effect all together can make a routine that much more exciting to our audience.

Shane

Feb 8, 2008
Sounds like you have a tight routine there. What thrills you while performing to your audience. Is it the climax or the initial meeting of your routine that excites you the most?

Shane

Hmmm... That's a hard one. I'd say that it's the climax. It's the moment that everything's been leading up to, and if you mess up then, it affects the spectator's perception and memories of the whole routine. If the tricks keep getting better and better, they'll remember the whole routine as awesome. If it gets better and better and then so-so, they'll remember the whole thing as so-so.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results