How To Get Gigs and Keep Clients: Final

Preface: I want to thank everyone for the encouragement during the creation of these eight essays. I hope that the information I presented is useful to you. Not only that I hope you can use it to get work!

My next goal is to compile these eight essays into a single document, and then add in some extra chapters that I've outlined but not included here. I hope to publish this as a PDF download if not a full on book.

So without any further adue, the last chapter in How To Get Gigs and Keep Clients!

Chapter 8. Keeping Clients

So far, through this entire book we’ve gone through painstaking measures to get noticed by our clients, identify their venues, set up an aggressive yet fair compensation plan for ourselves, pitch the client on said plan, we’ve done interviews, we’ve done our 5 minute demo, and we’ve performed the gig, networked, and followed up with the client afterwards. That’s a lot of work! Why would you want to go through all that effort only to do one show with them? If you consider the time is money expression, then it really isn’t worth your time to go through all of that effort with the end game being only one gig. When you are booking your venues, you should always be on the lookout for repeat business. In marketing it’s called “Building a pipeline”. That pipeline is what will keep those checks rolling in month after month. You constantly work on putting new business into the pipe line, but you also keep booking and working off the ones that are already there. The people in your pipeline are called “warm clients”. They are a radically different market than all those cold ones you’ve been calling on. You know their names, they know yours. You’ve been to their kids baseball game, you’ve brought chocolates to their employees, etc. Getting rebooked with them requires significantly less work than a cold client, so take good advantage of that! In this chapter we’re going to take a look at client retention so that way you can keep your pipeline full and your pocket book happy.

Customer vs. Client. If you have noticed all through this work I’ve referred to the people that hire me as “clients”, I’ve also referred to the people that attend their functions (be it restaurant or private party) as “guests.” Guests and Clients are just another way to say the word customer, but it goes a lot deeper than that. The word customer is generic. It could be anyone. It has no emotional attachments, and it’s a one size fits all. The words Client and Guest suggest a relationship. A relationship that is vital in the way business is done in this day and age. The relationship extends beyond just the key contact and you. The relationship is between you and the key contact’s entire staff, their place of business, all their guests that spend their hard earned money there, or the families and their neighbors and friends that attend that special birthday party you worked. When you refer to someone as a client you take ownership for their business. You dedicate yourself to them, and it makes them feel better for it. They know that you have the answers and they can turn to you if they have questions. A customer usually just has a generic 1800 customer hotline with a pre-recorded voice usually. How personal is that?

The Golden Rule, and The Rule Of Time Management. Everyone’s heard of the golden rule: “Do unto others as you will have others do unto you.” That’s a pretty preachy way of saying “Be nice, so people can be nice to you.” If you think about it for two minutes, it’s true. Call it what you will, Karma, The Golden Rule, Three-Fold Law, what ever, you get back what you give. When you are working with booking clients you have to keep the golden rule on the forefront of your mind. You never want to be rude, you always want to be helpful but you also want to be aware of another rule. The rule of Time Management. Remember that saying: “Time is Money?” The one thing you don’t want to do is waste time doing things that aren’t going to get you paid what you are worth!
Lets take a look at an example that actually happened to me about a week before I wrote this chapter. I was performing at a local pizza parlor that happens to be the hub of the youth in the city I live in. After my gig was over I was approached and asked to do a private demonstration for this person’s karate class, his studio being somewhat near by. We negotiated on a price that was well beneath my minimum, but because he was local to me, I accepted it and waved the contract. We shook hands on a date and time. When I got there he informed me that that night wasn’t going to work, most of his class had already left for some excuse I didn’t bother to remember, and he wanted to re-book me.

Now, this is where I have to seriously ask myself a question. “Is the gig with this individual actually worth the effort I’m going to have to go through to do it?” I’ve already given up one night to this person that I could have been working a gig at my normal rates. I’ve already spent (all be it minimal) the money in gas to drive to his location, and I’ve been stood up, an offense that I usually never return your call for. Do I accept this person’s re-booking offer when he calls the next day? Or do I blow him off? If you decide, like I did, that it’s not worth it for you then you can’t be rude about it! You always need to be nice, and time efficient! When he called me back, I politely told him that I was already booked for that day, and that I normally don’t work under my minimum. I explained my credits and why I charge what I do. (I built value in my self) I then informed him that I know a local magician who does excellent work with children. I told him I would forward his information along, and put him in touch with my colleague. He’s happy, he still has a magician. My friend is happy, he’s got a paying gig, and I’m happy because I can now focus my time on getting more promising bookings.

Don’t make the mistake in assuming that the amount paid for your time is the only way it can be wasted! Sometimes you’ll find yourself working with a client that is just a bit too needy. A client that monopolizes your time for their soul use is also a bad idea. You may want to defer them to a magician colleague of yours, or you may want to limit their access to you. I’m not saying to turn down money! I’m just saying be smart about how you spend your time!

So once you’ve established who the clients are that you really want to focus on keeping, now you’ll want to know what you can do to make sure they stay with you for all their entertainment needs! Let me give you a couple of neat ideas.

(To Be Continued)

(Continued From Above)

Special Event or Lotto Tickets. This trick also comes from a mentor of mine Aye Jaye. Go to your local gas station or super market, and pick up a bunch of one dollar lotto tickets, and give those to your clients! They even fit well into thank you cards. If they don’t win anything, it’s the thought that counts. If they do win something then they won’t forget your generosity! Also, if you can afford it, tickets to a local sports event go over nicely too. If you have access to the Magic Castle, a pass to that club is an ideal gift that is usually greatly appreciated.

Bring Food or Treats. If you have a fruit tree on your property, or live near by one such as at a local park, stop by and pick the free fruit! Failing all else, go to the grocery store and buy some cheap oranges or apples. Bring fruit with you to give your clients! Not only is it healthy, but it says you care about them! Alternatives is candy, pies, or vegetables.

Hallmark Cards. Make sure to send thank you cards when you’ve completed a gig, thinking of you cards when you haven’t heard from a client in a few months, and holiday cards during those special times of the seasons! Also if you know their birthdays or anniversaries, use those to your advantage! Send them cards or small gifts during those times too.

Remember them during the Holidays. Send them small gifts during the Christmas season, or new years. Despite your personal religious beliefs, make sure you use neutral greetings such as “Happy Holidays” as opposed to Merry Christmas as not all of your clients may share the Christian belief.

Gift Baskets. As discussed in a previous chapter, you can also use gift baskets to your advantage. See the previous chapter for details.

Deliver What You Say You Will. It seems like such a simple concept, but it is a vital one! If you want to keep clients, then you have to keep to the most basic foundation of business: doing what you promise. If you deter from anything you promised you would do then you lose credibility, and possibly worse, your client!

Expect The Best From Yourself. Never give a half assed show. Always perform to your very best. This includes showing up early, staying later (if needed), and making every moment with a guest a special one. To settle for less than your best is to settle for unemployment.

Go Beyond Usual. Don’t be usual. Every magician performs card tricks, and coin tricks. What is unique about you? Why should a client book you and not say the next guy to walk in. Nothing is new in magic. Very few of us can say we have effects that we do that are unique to us alone. The rest of us rely on commercially sold effects that lets face it, anyone can get. So if we are all performing the same commercial effects, then the only thing that stands to reason that will be different is the presentation! Be unique!

Watch Out For Your Clients Best Interests. Keep your clients interests in mind. If someone approaches you to do a kids show, and you know you’re not a kids entertainer, refer them to someone who is! They will appreciate the honesty, and the next time they need an act that you specialize in chances are good they’ll call you!

Make Your Clients Want To Re-Book You! Offer incentives, or other advantages to using your services again. Reward a 10% discount for rebooking, or offer bigger discounts to referrals that lead to bookings. People like to be rewarded for their loyalty!

Be Picky About Your Clients: Don’t waste your time, or resources on the clients that are “high maintenance”. Remember these are your clients, You should be as excited to work for them, as they are to work with you.

Gather Competitive Intelligence. Find out who the other magicians are that work your venues, attend their shows without drawing out attention to yourself. Find out what they are doing to get employed at that venue, and if possible, from the venue how much they are paying. Review all this information, and then present the venue you want to book with a better offer!

There you have it! A small list of ideas that you can use to keep those bookings rolling in! Business isn’t really difficult. It’s only complex in it’s simplicity. You have to advertise in order to get attention, and you have to treat your clients well if you want to get work again. I hope you can use the information in this book to your advantage. I hope your advertising endeavors lead to a fruitful career in the presentation of the art we all love- Magic. To each of you, all the best, and thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to read my work.

May 19, 2008
manchester
very good :)

but you said that theirs 11 chapters didnt you? so their in this booklet or something? do you have to pay for that then?

thanks for the 8 that youve given us right now ;)

very good :)

but you said that theirs 11 chapters didnt you? so their in this booklet or something? do you have to pay for that then?

thanks for the 8 that youve given us right now ;)

You are correct. My original outline called for eleven chapters. One chapter was an introduction identifing who I am, my credentials, the outline for the goals and scope of the production, and cites my thank you's and dedications. I left that out of the posts here because I figured people wouldn't want to read that. The other two chapters are of bonus material that I'm withholding for comercial publication!

Also, you are most certainly welcome!

Woah, I completely missed this one. I was just wondering when you were gonna write more of these, lucky for me I searched and found this! :D Shame that's it's the last, but it's great information. When you get that pdf/book out there I'll be the first to get it. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results