How to return to original order?

jc533436

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2011
The Big Deal by Josh Jay

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but, considering the skill level you claim to be at, This is where I recommend you start. It does not return the deck to new deck order bot instead reveals a black jack hand, a poker hand, and a bridge hand along with a chosen card. It does not require an entirely stacked deck(less than half) which gives you the freedom to use the rest of the deck in other effects and to show a mixed up deck throughout your routine.

Like I said, not what you are looking for but from reading this thread I get the impression that you may need to "baby step" your way to your goal. I got this years ago and as my skill level has grown I have never out grown this effect. I simply find better and better ways to present it.

Thanks for your input, but at least from the video, it looks like the top half of the deck pretty suspicious. And there is the feeling that the top half is arranged in specific order due to several false cut and a turned over Hindu shuffle. So at least from the video, I'm hesitated to buy the trick. I would still prefer similar effect with possible similar method in The Card College, which I already possessed.

Feb 4, 2008
That is because he is handling it in such a way to teach the effect to relatively new magicians. I don't use that effect until after three phases of an ACR, three different flourish cuts,, a few different false shuffles, and a spectator cut.

My recommendations for you, similar to others I have heard btw
-learn a few false cuts
-explore breather crimp or short card
-learn a Zarro shuffle(one of the best tabled false shuffles)
-learn a good in hands false riffle shuffle(I use the Truffle shuffle but the Heinstein is a bit more convincing)
-Study culling
-Learn the perfect faro

Once you are confident in those skills study some of the stacks and effects that have already been mentioned. ie. the stuff from Tamriz, Hollingworth, ect.

If you already have an effect in Card College that is similar to the Big Deal, then by all means, save your money. But don't criticize effects because they are taught using less convincing techniques. Try to remember that magicians often can't teach how they handle an effect because they may be using techniques that are not theirs to teach.

jc533436

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2011
That is because he is handling it in such a way to teach the effect to relatively new magicians. I don't use that effect until after three phases of an ACR, three different flourish cuts,, a few different false shuffles, and a spectator cut.

My recommendations for you, similar to others I have heard btw
-learn a few false cuts
-explore breather crimp or short card
-learn a Zarro shuffle(one of the best tabled false shuffles)
-learn a good in hands false riffle shuffle(I use the Truffle shuffle but the Heinstein is a bit more convincing)
-Study culling
-Learn the perfect faro

Once you are confident in those skills study some of the stacks and effects that have already been mentioned. ie. the stuff from Tamriz, Hollingworth, ect.

If you already have an effect in Card College that is similar to the Big Deal, then by all means, save your money. But don't criticize effects because they are taught using less convincing techniques. Try to remember that magicians often can't teach how they handle an effect because they may be using techniques that are not theirs to teach.

I agree with you. I probably didn't make it clear. I love the concept, especially the half deck is entirely clean, this have so much potential. The only down side for me is I already saw something similar in Card College. I learned Zarrow Shuffle from Jason England's DVD, I love it. And learned circulation concept from a friend, which at least in my opinion, could imitate Hindu shuffle effectively. And to be honest, perfect faro is tricky. I could do it but in a very very slow way....

But anyway, is there any good reference on culling? Many books mentioned, but didn't give a lot of detail. Some times it seems a little bit hard for me to do it in a natural way.
Thanks

Feb 4, 2008
I agree with you. I probably didn't make it clear. I love the concept, especially the half deck is entirely clean, this have so much potential. The only down side for me is I already saw something similar in Card College. I learned Zarrow Shuffle from Jason England's DVD, I love it. And learned circulation concept from a friend, which at least in my opinion, could imitate Hindu shuffle effectively. And to be honest, perfect faro is tricky. I could do it but in a very very slow way....

But anyway, is there any good reference on culling? Many books mentioned, but didn't give a lot of detail. Some times it seems a little bit hard for me to do it in a natural way.
Thanks

Culling is just hard to make smooth. That said, I have heard good things about the Roadrunner Cull by Kostya Kimlet. For me personally, I got Ian Moran's Cull Father. I found that to be a great resource.

jc533436

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2011
Culling is just hard to make smooth. That said, I have heard good things about the Roadrunner Cull by Kostya Kimlet. For me personally, I got Ian Moran's Cull Father. I found that to be a great resource.

Thanks.. I learned culling from Lu Chen's book, and also in couple DVDs, but still can't do it smoothly...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results