How to use magic to propose to your loved one?

Dec 13, 2008
Morris, IL
So I'm a 26 year old male who is single. But for some reason the thought of how to use magic to propose to your loved one crossed my mind today. I figure its never too early to start thinking about this because honestly someday down the road this will eventually happen. But how many people use magic to propose to there significant other? Not too many. Most people try to think of creative ways on how to propose or where to propose at. But not too many know how to do magic, or if they do, use it to propose to someone. So in what ways do you guy's know how to accomplish this?? Obviously there needs to be a ring involved in the effect. But the first effect that came to my mind was "Sealed With A Kiss," by I believe Cyril Takayama. Instead of using a hershey's kiss though I would substitute it with a ring. In what other ways do you guys know how to use magic to propose to your loved ones??

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Isn't there a way to get a ring into an ice cube?

Anyway... I've only asked once, and it turned out well. No magic. None of my interests - her interests. I took her to meet Paige Davis from Trading Spaces and proposed right when my (now) wife got her autograph. There was applause. She got a hug from Paige.

I also can't imagine trying to perform anything while asking. I, personally, almost blacked out from nerves about two minutes before it was her turn to get an autograph. Talk about stage fright - you only get one chance. Your best bet for "using what you learn" is to relay the experience to the next guy. I was sure she would say yes -- but actually asking was one of the most stressful things I have ever done.

Anyway, I'd say to make it about her. If she isn't into magic then you'll have many future years to torment her with requests to "look at this." At least give her that one night at the beginning.

I have seen several threads about this same topic before. But do you really want to share an important moment like that with magic? I mean maybe you would want to make it more about the moment than about the result effect behind it. Believe me I've thought about using magic as well but it may not be a bad idea to skip past magic on this one. Anyways just my thought.

Your proposal needs to be from your heart, to hers. If magic is that much of who you are, and means a lot in both of your relationships then I say more power to you. However speaking as both a married man, and a magician, I think the only magic I'd want during that moment is when she say's "yes." I think trying to propose by doing a trick really just doesn't do the moment justice.

Dec 13, 2008
Morris, IL
You know, you guys are absolutely right now that I sit back and think about what you all have said. I love magic and she will always be seeing plenty of it. Why not just put that stuff aside and for one special moment that is all about her and not yourself. Not sure why I didn't think of this myself. But I'm glad I asked to finally realize this. Thanks guys, good stuff.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I used magic and deception throughout the entire proposal process. My (then future) wife and I went ring shopping and we found the ring. I knew it, I could see it. She was hooked. We left. The next day, my wife returned to the jeweler with her family to show them her ring. She was informed that there had been a few people looking at it.

As soon as I worked next (in the nearby city where we had gone ring shopping) I stopped by the jeweler. I put a deposit on the ring and had it held for me until I could scrap together the cash to pay for it. A few days later, I had gathered up enough cash for a big down payment. I took the ring home with me. On the way home, I stopped by her apartment to tell her that I had to confess something. I told her I had gone ring shopping that day and that her ring had been sold earlier in the week (this made sense after she heard people had been looking at it.) I told her that we had the option, when I could save up the cash to pay for the whole thing, to order the ring in from the manufacturer. I gave her a made-up time frame that made sense and enough "facts" that I couldn't be lying, all the while her ring was in my pocket.

While all this happened, my (soon to to be) wife and I were planning a trip back to my home in South Dakota (where we met.) My mind was in overdrive. As the day drew near, I told my wife that I saved up enough to go order her ring. This I "did" a couple days before we left (instead I simply went to work early.) I came back and told her that the jeweler had called on the ring and figured it would take about three or four weeks until it arrived. This meant (to my wife) that her ring would come sometime after we got back from South Dakota. Again, the ring was hiding in plain sight (this time in my luggage.)

In South Dakota, after a 19 hour trip, we arrived at my house. We spent time with my family, met up with some friends, and relaxed for a couple days. One of those days I took my wife for a walk (nothing out of the ordinary for us except the South Dakota location.) In a park on the Missouri River, we sat down at a park bench and talked for a while. As we talked, I asked if she would like to see real magic. My wife, her favorite hobby being trying to figure out my magic tricks, was eager to have something new to figure out. I pulled my cards out of my pocket, took the clip off, and pulled the cards out of the tuck case. I had her ring in finger palm and dropped it into the tuck case as I pulled the cards out. I set the clip on the cards, saying that I did not need my cards for this trick, only the box. My wife looked confused, and became more confused when I picked up the empty box and lightly shook it so she could hear something rattling inside. I then turned the box over, dumped its contents into my open hand, and got down on one knee. It was real magic. The trick was just the cover for the moment. The real magic had nothing to do with the trick.

Yes, she said yes. We have been married for a little over a year now. My wife still chuckles about the magic trick she didn't see coming. I did this because it would work. Don't do magic for something like this unless it too is right. Just because you like magic doesn't mean that this will be the right way to go. It likely isn't. IF you decide to carry on, let me give you a couple pointers.

1. Use magic, but but don't make it about the magic.
2. Make sure that you do MUCH more than just the trick. Planning is essential.
3. Magic can enhance the moment, but once the moment begins, it needs to get out of the way or it will kill the moment.
4. Make sure you can do whatever it is you are going to do flawlessly. You cannot afford a mistake at a time like that.
5. Make sure that your have thought through the "Big Picture" over and over again. It has to make sense. The whole event needs to be smooth. If not, you need to back out and do something different.

I am the exception when it comes to this. I would not recommend doing this to most people. The most crucial thing is figuring out if it works FOR YOU AND HER. You need to be sure, don't just assume.

L

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'll touch more on this this evening when I get home from work. I proposed 10 years ago using magic and went perfectly fine. Details to come later tonight.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
Oh boy. Before we send you down a bad road, (be honest with yourself here, not to the forum), ask yourself, "How has your track record being with women?" "Have you had a lot of dates and girlfriends in the last 8-10 years?"

Do you constantly tell yourself that you're just "unlucky" and if you continue to just "be yourself" you'll find that "one special woman" one day? Do you think that catering to women and doing romantic things for them will eventually "earn" her love and sexual attraction for you? When you see a cute girl you don't know, are you completely at a loss as to what to say and you end up making excuses as to why she won't like you anyway?

If you believe in any of those things above, then you don't need advice here for what you're asking. Instead start here: http://baller08.blogspot.com/2010/03/nice-guys-always-finish-last.html and here: http://baller08.blogspot.com/2010/05/never-listen-to-what-women-say-watch.html

Now if I'm off and you honestly can say that you've been successful with attractive women and this is truly just a magic question, then disregard what I said and I'm sure you'll get some good magic ideas to come from the guys here.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
You know, you guys are absolutely right now that I sit back and think about what you all have said. I love magic and she will always be seeing plenty of it. Why not just put that stuff aside and for one special moment that is all about her and not yourself. Not sure why I didn't think of this myself. But I'm glad I asked to finally realize this. Thanks guys, good stuff.

clearly some of you didn't read the thread before posting :p He already said he agrees not to so no need to come in here trying to give people relationship advice when it wasn't asked for. Now my thoughts on this... just throwing it out there, I think it is ok to use magic to ask someone to like prom, that's one thing. Marriage is another.. completely different, I wouldn't want a guy to ask using magic, I love magic deeply but not in that situation.

Dec 13, 2008
Morris, IL
Wow, I was surprised when I got home and checked the thread I had a lot more reply's. You know, when it comes to proposing to your significant other everyone usually wants it too be special. It might be a vacation to a tropical island on the beach as the sun is setting. It might be at a really fancy restaurant in the city. Which ever way you decide to go about it you want it to be amazing and you want it too be a memory that she will always remember and cannot wait to get on the phone ant tell her friends and family that you proposed to her and "how you proposed." So being a magician I thought, wow. I could use magic in a way to propose to her. Because honestly how many people out there know how to perform magic. I don't know any personally. So this would be a way that no one else could replicate or say that this is how they are going to propose to their girlfriend. I wanted it to be unique and I wanted it to be mine. After reading your story Lyle, which was truly funny and awesome how it worked out for you, I don't know now. I'm kinda of stuck in the middle. But your absolutely right. It has to be flawless or your in big trouble. b_08, this is just a magic related question. But I am gonna read your links cause they look interesting. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say on this reverhart.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Alright fellas, you have to understand that the way I wanted to propose had nothing to do with romance at all. I wanted to totally catch my (future wife) off guard on a day / time that she had no clue it was coming. I obviously had called her dad earlier on in the day while she was at work and had received his blessing to ask his daughter. Now some guys will plan out the entire night, dinner, momen,t to ask her but then the soon to be fiance sees it coming from a mile away.

I wanted the extreme opposite. That's just the way I roll. I do things differently than others. For example: our first anniversary was a private hot air balloon ride, taking off from her own back yard. That's a whole another story.

I had planned on using a magic effect to propose to her because at the time it was my new fun hobby and I had just finished my first year teaching. I had seen the power of magic in my classroom with my students and wanted that look of astonishment on my soon to be wife's face when the ring appeared.

Susan worked at a bank. She came home that day and was in a terrible mood. She layed down on the couch and I just sat on a recliner fiddling with some cards. I let her vent and tell me about her day and then I popped out a small drawer box. I went over to her and said, "I've been working on a new effect that I think is going to blow people away...would you like to see it?"
She says, "No...I'm not really in the mood." Ha ha. You can imagine how I felt at this point, so I said again, "Really, I think you are going to love this one." "OK she says."

I proceed to open the drawer box and show it empty, I close it and tell her she needs to rub the top and whisper some magic words. She plays along and BAM...if you could have seen the sheer look of SHOCK on her face when I opened it and the ring was sitting in it. It was totally the look I wanted. She started screaming and crying all at the same time, she didn't believe it was really happening and that I had just busted it out sparatically like that in her living room. I took the ring out, got down on my knee and proceeded.

We've been happily married for 10 years and have two adorable kids. If you were hoping to hear a sappy romance story, that is not what my proposal experience was. I wanted to completely BLOW her away when she least expected it and boy did it work.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Rick, that was amazing to read. I love reading stories like these and it makes me feel very happy! Makes me vision all of it in my mind and see it as it was happening; simply loved it. Thank you VERY much for sharing this Rick!

-Casey

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Just a note as it kind of has to do with this thread, but not really: As magic is a very important part in both mine and Chris' lives. The proposal went something like this:

"Is today a good day for you?"
"yeah, I don't have anything to do until later."
"Cool"
"Cool".

..when ya know, ya know. :)

Love,

Katie Kenner

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Thanks guys for the replies. Yes..you are right Luis. I just went simple / straight forward and used a small little drawer box that she had never seen before and she didn't know what it did. There was no way I could mess it up....ha ha.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results