How underground is magic?

cesarmadera

Operations Manager
Team member
Aug 14, 2010
Or more specifically, how underground is Theory11? For those itching to recall previous posts, feel free to remind me with links. I would say that 60% of all my material is obtained from this site, how can I remove the worry of spectators running into it? I don't mind aspiring spectators with interest in the art; after all that's how we all started. I only worry about those exposure-hungry laymen occasionally.

Thanks guys-

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Or more specifically, how underground is Theory11? For those itching to recall previous posts, feel free to remind me with links. I would say that 60% of all my material is obtained from this site, how can I remove the worry of spectators running into it? I don't mind aspiring spectators with interest in the art; after all that's how we all started. I only worry about those exposure-hungry laymen occasionally.

Thanks guys-

Don't name your tricks is an easy one. It's also an incentive to do research. Diversify what you perform.

Aug 4, 2010
Underground enough that you can buy a T11 deck in your local magic shop or even wallmart...(I don't shop there Obviously but the cards were(are) sold there)...

Pro tip- If 60% of your material is from T11 you have a ways to go...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

Thanks guys-

Don't give the names (as Prae said) and perform them in unique ways, rather than aping the presentation given in the learning materials.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
1.) Ok, go here: http://www.theory11.com/roundtable-discussions.php
2.) Listen to Podcasts #13 and #14. They talk about this explicitly.

It's fine to ask questions, but this has been addressed many, many times.

If it's on the internet, it's not underground.

Underground enough that you can buy a T11 deck in your local magic shop or even wallmart

You guys are too negative. Stop being so bitter about their commercial success.

Underground, like any word, is totally subjective. In my opinion, Theory11 is abolutely underground. Magic is, by nature. Most people don't spend hours of their time trying to find out tricks online, most of the time they don't even know what kinds of keywords to search for.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
1.) Ok, go here: http://www.theory11.com/roundtable-discussions.php
2.) Listen to Podcasts #13 and #14. They talk about this explicitly.

It's fine to ask questions, but this has been addressed many, many times.

You guys are too negative. Stop being so bitter about their commercial success.

Underground, like any word, is totally subjective. In my opinion, Theory11 is abolutely underground. Magic is, by nature. Most people don't spend hours of their time trying to find out tricks online, most of the time they don't even know what kinds of keywords to search for.

In TheatreHead's defense, I don't think he's being negative at all, I didn't get that vibe, although I understand the comment. I think what he says is true. I think we are deluding ourselves if we think that magic is underground. I know a lot more people than I expected do magic. I have a group of about 25 young magicians that I meet up with in my city. I know many more who know a trick or two. My girlfriend met a magician just the other day, who wasn't very good, but that's exactly the point - it's easier than ever for someone to look up magic tricks. Most don't, but an increasing number do.

And of those who do, where do they go? I think it would be a fair argument to say that T11 and E are common stops. How many members do we have who have been in magic for longer than 5 years?

I think you're right in saying that underground is subjective. I would disagree for example that T11 is underground, I would disagree with anyone who branded d+M's magic underground; these are my opinions of course from my own experiences.

The other thing I want to mention is that you'd be surprised how easy it is to look up magic. You don't need to have the right keywords. I started my magical journey in a less than spectacular way - by Googling "learn free magic tricks". I wish I hadn't, but that's how. And you need only to look as far as YouTube to see that many have done that, and only that. There are anecdotes of even more detailed effects being searched. Tricks, for example, like Healed and Sealed, and far more detailed ones; the only logical way to search for them is through a vague description of their plot, but unfortunately, it sometimes works.

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Thats one of the reasons why I dont buy tricks from E. It used to be where you would type in Street magic and the first thing that would pop up was "Ellusionist...Learn street magic tricks" also I remember seeing that they had a commercial on TV!

May 19, 2010
I always thought underground just meant they made most of their products in house. Unlike places like penguin and E.

I really don't think there's any need to worry about getting called out during a performance because some layman saw it on youtube. Honestly, your average Joe doesn't spend their every last waking minute scouring youtube for E and T11 exposure videos just in the off chance that they'll run into someone performing those tricks. You're chances are better off with winning the lotto than that happening.

You're over thinking your art too much. Relax. Just perform, and take it one day at a time. As Pra said, don't name your tricks that helps. If you DO encounter someone calling you out then just roll with it. Don't perform again for the same person, or what ever. If you're getting called out constantly, then you may want to re-evaluate your performance, but as I said, I doubt very much that this will ever be something you'll encounter.

Pro tip- If 60% of your material is from T11 you have a ways to go...

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you doling out "pro-tips" when we have yet to ascertain your experience in the art of magic. Leave your ego at the door if you can with your reply. Your genetics, or freakishly mutated meta human state of existence isn't what I'm looking for. I am interested in your experience performing, who you've performed for, where you've performed, and for how long.

Just so it's said There's nothing wrong with having any percentage of T11 products in your act, so long as it suits your style, and you can perform it well. That doesn't mean you shouldn't diversify as you grow, but you get my point.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I always think of T11 as "underground" in that once the initial investment of learning the effect has been made, the investment of performing it will be minimal. It fits an underground ethic of creating performances with what is readily available.

On the flip side, I was looking through books for sale at TAOM yesterday (gotta run back there in a few!). Among the staggering number of old books was one, old book with a stiff paper cover and probably stiff, yellow paper inside. I forget the exact title, but it too was focused on the idea of "underground."

From an amateur/enthusiast point of view, I'm still 100% inclined to side with Draven.
Just so it's said There's nothing wrong with having any percentage of T11 products in your act, so long as it suits your style, and you can perform it well. That doesn't mean you shouldn't diversify as you grow, but you get my point.
Which is, in my interpretation, to perform what is you -- not what is labeled as "underground" or anything else. That's just letting someone else label you. Letting someone else label you will always be the opposite of "underground." ;)

I just want to vouch that to say, if it's on the internet its not underground, is a bit of a fib. Just because you know of computer hackers doesn't meant that the hacker community is underground and off the grid, literally. You may know of therians through a website but you still don't know anything about the activity of the groups. Knowing things exist does not void it as being underground, in fact it just makes things even more mysterious, especially since most are very tight lipped about meetings (if there are any ;) ).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results