How Would You Answer This?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Friday, I had a magic show for my school (about 200 people). This was my first "show" with that many people. It went incredibly well. Just a few minutes ago, this guy asked me "Is your magic real, or is it just mind games/trickery?"

I thought about it for a second. I didn't know what to say so I simply replied, "It's whatever you want it to be." and I left it at that, nothing more, nothing less.

What would you have answered to this question?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I think that the answer was great, In my opinion, we should never force the thought that it was "real magic" into them. Let them ponder into that thought themselves :).

I Have broguth this topic into discussion many many times sharing the way I perform so that I am prepared for this kind of questions. It is a somewhat long read, if you want, I will gladly share it with you, I have it around somewhere :).

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I'm no mentalist or bizarre character. I like all kinds of magic (not very much bizarre, though) but during the show, I only performed two effects, Invisible Deck, and the Name/Card routine with Psypher.

That is another thing that I have been curious about...is it ok to perform many different style effects? For instance, I love elegant coin magic, but I also like a lot of card tricks, but I also love using loops for ring effects and other things, but I also love edgy, streetish magic, but I also really like mentalism. Is that ok? Or is it better to just stick to say cards and coins and nothing else?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
That is another thing that I have been curious about...is it ok to perform many different style effects? For instance, I love elegant coin magic, but I also like a lot of card tricks, but I also love using loops for ring effects and other things, but I also love edgy, streetish magic, but I also really like mentalism. Is that ok? Or is it better to just stick to say cards and coins and nothing else?

I think it depends on the overall goal that you want to achieve with those people. Or the overall impression that you want them to have of you. Trickster? Sleight of hand artist? Magician? it all depends.

If I'm ever asked, I always clarify by simply saying that its illusion. This is true and vague enough to not specify your methodology, and "illusion" as a concept still has its own kind of romance attached to it. You could also elaborate and compare the experience to a film, play or novel.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
If I'm ever asked, I always clarify by simply saying that its illusion. This is true and vague enough to not specify your methodology, and "illusion" as a concept still has its own kind of romance attached to it. You could also elaborate and compare the experience to a film, play or novel.

That is really cool, I like that.

Also, I want to work as a magician. I also, though, like how Wayne Houchin says he has been referred to ask con-artist, mind reader, magician, etc. That wouldn't bother me either. I guess I just want to be Rob. No specificity as to "magician" or "mentalist" or anything like that. I just want to be Rob, the guy that is amazing. I am whatever you want to call me...magician, trickster, con artist, mind reader, illusionist, etc.

I just want to do what I like and what plays great with an audience, if that means I can do mentalism, magic, stage illusions, bizarre magic or anything else I like as long as I can put it into a routine and have a meaningful set that isn't just random tricks thrown at the spectators. I think that is ok...

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I just say pretty much what you said to that guy, only using different words. I say something along the lines of "I will not tell you, because no anwer will be good enough. Believe in what you think. If you think it was real magic, than great, it will be real magic. If you believe it was trickery, than it's up to you again". But people who ask you that question are ready to believe anything, since they asked the question. If you know what I mean?

Apr 1, 2009
California
"Imagine hearing your first Justin Bieber track... This is a very similar concept."

Seriously though. Take the spotlight away from yourself and give it to them, you did your part, you led the show. They will have an answer in their head no matter what you say to try to convince them. It's their turn to come to a conclusion. It's magic if they believe it's magic, no matter how long you tell them it's trickery. and the other way around.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I would stare at them questioning their intelligence. Then I would say if it was real magic I wouldn't just play around with cards and other junk. I would go cash in on the million dollars from James Randi and then sell my time to science.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I would stare at them questioning their intelligence. Then I would say if it was real magic I wouldn't just play around with cards and other junk. I would go cash in on the million dollars from James Randi and then sell my time to science.

Wow, great way of killing the illusion for them.

Jan 21, 2011
To me magic is the feeling you get when you see something truly magical or impossible. it is the moments that take your breath away. I strive for that in all my magic. I am a magician. A man who is adept at making the impossible possible. I have been asked this question and I answered "It depends, What did you feel when you saw that?" usually I get an answer like theres no way thats possible, or I was speechless, I couldn't believe what I just saw. To which I reply "then it must have been Magical." and I try to leave it at that. If someone wishes to ingague me in a further debate or inquire how i do something. I tell them that "I seek and inspire those who watch my performances to view the world through the eyes of a child where every thing is new and exciting, where the things you see need no explination and the moments you witness take your breath away. That is magic. Those moments that take your breath away, leaving you speachless with all of its wonder. I could easily explain how it is done but to me knowing how the colors of a sunset are made destroy the beauty of it all. I thank you for watching my show and I would never be so crewel as to take beauty out of your life." if they continue I simply smile and leave.

Your answer was fine, I think you did well in your answer. This is just how I answer the question.

Red

Sep 1, 2007

Have fun never making it as a professional magician.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Simple I would confuse them some more.

I would ask them why they want to know, and without letting them answer I would move straight into.

It's theatre, We should not take it for what it is or for what it is not. Whether real or fake it is what it is. The real question I have to ask you is either way would it change the experience that you had today.

Feb 7, 2011
I remember seeing david blaine early in his television career on a talk show. A one on one interview, i dont know who the show belonged to, i dont know american tv presenters. The point is, he was asked, "so what is it that you do, is it magic or is it the sleight of hand stuff" maybe not in those exact words. But Blaine answered perfectly, he said "I dont know anymore, I just do it". It's a question every magician faces when they plan presentation, and after I heard him say that I kicked myself for not thinking of it. It's the best answer. In my opinion.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada

probably the worst answer you can give someone ...

I usually reply by saying "Why don't you decide for yourself" or another quote i used to use ... "Some of them are sleight of hand tricks while the rest are real" ... this leaves them with another question ...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results