Hugo

Nov 8, 2007
Steve Jobs dropped out of school... A higher education is not necessary...
If you think you're on the same path Steve Jobs was, more power to you. That's quite a comparison you just made between yourself and Steve Jobs though.

A higher education is not necessary--depending on what you want to do. There's no way around it if you want to be a lawyer or a veterinarian or a teacher... You just got to kick the laziness and do the work. There's no way around it. There's something to be said in general about people who value education though. Hopefully you'll learn to appreciate it one day as well. Until then, good luck searching for your elusive short cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 17, 2010
Not to stir the pot much more, but that someone's father did okay with a high school education glosses over the fact that the world has changed since then.

A few decades ago, a career on an assembly line of the big three auto makers was waiting for you after high school. Rock solid employment, you could own a house in the suburbs, a car, and your wife wouldn't have to work. But times change, and soon a bachelor's degree will be the new high school diploma in terms of hiring.

Instead of citing one outrageously successful guy without a formal education, I think a better barometer of the value of education would be median incomes of those with degrees and those without. From the US Census Bureau
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/censusandstatistics/a/collegepays.htm

"Just in case you still had some doubts, the U.S. Census Bureau has released data proving the substantial value of a college education in the United States. Workers 18 and over sporting bachelors degrees earn an average of $51,206 a year, while those with a high school diploma earn $27,915. But wait, there's more. Workers with an advanced degree make an average of $74,602, and those without a high school diploma average $18,734."

Jan 20, 2009
California
"Just in case you still had some doubts, the U.S. Census Bureau has released data proving the substantial value of a college education in the United States. Workers 18 and over sporting bachelors degrees earn an average of $51,206 a year, while those with a high school diploma earn $27,915. But wait, there's more. Workers with an advanced degree make an average of $74,602, and those without a high school diploma average $18,734."
Those are some scary numbers.....i know many people who are in the 40k range and
are having a tough time.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Steve Jobs dropped out of school.

A higher education is not necessary. Just because someone doesn't receive a higher education doesn't mean they will be working at McDonald's all their life. I've chosen that it's not for me and nobody can change my mind.

It is a fact that, it is those with comfortable living situations and countless options, that are the ones who take for granted just how lucky they are.

People who TRULY believe that school is not for them generally fall into three categories:

First: Those who live in an environment where the environment produces a situation where it is genuinely difficult to see the benefits and or necessity of a good education. For example, the ghetto, gang infested areas where pure pressure, lack of money, poverty, etc... prevent those from trying to learn.

Second: Idiots, lazy people, people who get free rides, people with parents that spoil them to the point where they are never held accountable for anything other than "saving face" or protecting the "family name."

Third: Those who are truly above the learning curve that standard education has to offer, and work more diligently and or efficiently on their own terms, preparing themselves to offer something great to society.

Based off of your past posts up till now, I hope you will forgive me for crossing off the first and third category when it comes to your situation.

Go watch the movie "Waiting for Superman" See how badly those kids want the chance at a decent education, then come back and spit out crap like, "education is not for me".

Sep 2, 2007
London
tokyoUW if there was a like button for your post i would click it.

Seconded. I think you've absolutely nailed your analysis right there, tokyoUW. I should probably say that I dropped out of university so I'm in no position to mock other people, but I'm under no illusion that my failure to engage in structured education was because I was, fundamentally, a lazy idiot. Having said that, though, I spent the next few years making an OK living as a salesperson, and in my current life as a writer/performer, no-one's asked me to produce my qualifications. While it certainly is possible to earn a living without a formal education, you're definitely limiting your choices, and narrowing your outlook on the world. I would suggest that, while university isn't for everyone, reading definitely should be. If you're not going to engage in formal education, then you should be reading at least one book every two weeks to make up for your disadvantage.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys,

Please keep this thread on topic, and about magic please. If any more posts continue to be off topic in this thread, I will have to close it. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Thanks for understanding!

-Casey

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Hey guys,

Please keep this thread on topic, and about magic please. If any more posts continue to be off topic in this thread, I will have to close it. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Thanks for understanding!

-Casey

I do really enjoy how, in the movie, they tie everything together into one special genre that promotes out-of-the-box thinking, ie.. magic, movie producer, actor, inventor, etc... Giving magic the spotlight it deserves is always a plus, and the director did a very nice job with it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results